Backpack idea's to carry a Laptop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Backpack idea's to carry a Laptop

Hi All,

I cycle about 20 miles a day and I'm now in a need of Backpack to transport a Laptop. Im still loocking for something smallish and it doesn't need the a designated pocket for it. Would I be right in thinking 20ltrs + will probably fit most 13" screen laptops?

Only other thing I need is the ability to waterproof it!!

So what are your suggestions?
    Custom Giant OCR T-Mobile Edition
    On-One Scandal 29'er Project on the go

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The only bag I've used to this end is the smaller sized Banjo Brothers roll top backpack for my 13" laptop. It has a truck tarp liner which keeps moisture out of the main compartment until you abuse it too much. My only gripes are that the bag starts to shed material with wear and tear, the straps aren't reinforced with stitching the way they should be for all out durability, and the velcro they use for the cell phone holder is weak. Otherwise the utility of the thing is great.

mtbr member
    Just looked at those bags, They do the trick but I was looking for some to use on the trails to at the weekend. Minus the Laptop of course!! haha!! Not sure what to make of the evoc freeride trail bags, seem like they may fit!! anyone?

Hail Satin!
    Maybe instead of a backpack to carry a laptop, you should just get a laptop sleeve and use any backpack that you like. Timbuk2, swiss gear, chrome and many others make just the padded sleeve. Watet proof? Well some of them are, but with a laptop that small you might be able to find a food container to put it in. I put my net book in something I got at Walmart that was ment for deviled eggs. Don't forget to checkout a camping store. They have all kinds of waterproof things.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just stick my 15" Laptop in a sleeve and put that in my Jansport backpack. If it rains I wrap a raincoat around the whole thing. The raincoat has a hood and I tuck that down over the top of the backpack and down between the straps, so it's pinched between the backpack and my back.

Yea it's pretty ghetto but I've never had a wet laptop

mtbr member
    Cheers guys

I actually have a sleeve and was planning on using that. Im finding when looking online you just can't get a idea on what size they are.

Any more ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know how small a bag you're looking for, but I use a Lowepro CompuPrimus bag and it fits my computer, adaptor along with some books, change of clothes and locks just fine (if I decide to carry all that). In addition, it's a great weather-proof option so I don't have to worry unless it's completely torrential rain.

Here it is

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The Deuter line of cycling bags are quite nice, and the ventilation helps too. Mine (the Trans Alpine - too big for you) also has an integrated rain cover. Others might as well.

http://www.deuter.com/en/products/bike.php

mtbr member
    Hi Guys

Ended up getting "The North Face Crank 25" Rucksack, has straps to reduce size when half full, plenty of pockets, waterproof cover, only downside is the lack of any reflective strip but hey ho can't have it all.

Berzerker
    For the past year I've just been using an Ogio Politan backpack that I got at Big 5 on sale for $39.95. It holds my 15" laptop, spare shoes and street clothes, wallet, iPod and more. It has been very durable and comfortable. It generally never rains heavily during my commute times but when it has rained lightly, nothing has gotten wet plus the padded laptop sleeve is three layers in. I was thinking about a rack though because if I carry a lot of stuff, anything more than about 10 miles and my back starts to hurt. I dunno. I'll just try to carry less stuff ]

Members who have read this thread: 0