Back on the sadle!

Printable View

• 04-29-2010
    JordyB
    Back on the sadle!
    Since moving farther away from work this past winter, days commuting to work were few and far between. After a couple of upgrades, i'm back commuting, trying to do at least 4 days a week.

8.5 miles each way, mixed with side streets, bike paths, and multi-use paths. About 40 minutes each way.

Bike:
    Kona Unit 29er on 2.35 Big Apples/Velocity p35
    Ortlieb Downtown Pannier on Planet Bike Versarack Disc Rack
    Planet Bike Cascadia 29er Fenders

On the bike trail:

At work:

Winter mode(Nokians on SnoCats):
  • 04-29-2010
    rodar y rodar
    29 x 2.35 BAs. If you ever get caught in a flash flood you can pop your front wheel off and float to saftey :D
    Must be seriously cushy.
  • 04-29-2010
    mtbxplorer
    Kona... must ride ...must ride .....my 2nd MTB & still in love!

Congrats on your return to commute!
  • 04-30-2010
    CommuterBoy
    Gonna go straight home and check your pics (photobucket blocked at work). Love me some Kona AND some 29er. I was thinking about BA's on my 2nd wheelset for the 29er for the commute.
  • 04-30-2010
    Sizzler
    Excellent Kona, I'm hoping to get mine up and running this week!

BTW: My 2.5 BA's are the best tires I have ever owned. I have 800 miles on them so far and have been blown away by their performance. Absolutely outstanding!
  • 04-30-2010
    BrianMc
    Winter wheels with studded tires? Suspension fork to swap in, too for some weekend fun?

Love the almost-too-fat-to-fit look. Orange is a great traffic color, too. I want one. :thumbsup:

But then again I have that reaction to almost every bike. Except highboys. Have to draw the line somewhere. :D
  • 05-01-2010
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Very nice. Those BAs are monsters!
  • 05-03-2010
    JordyB
    Last week ended great, no rain, good temps.

Start of the 2nd week today: SUNNY, lows @ 34, highs of 54 today!

Couple of notes on build:
    The PB fenders fit the Unit great, both the bridges on the seat and chain stays are threaded, and fork has a hole pre-drilled. I did use an inch or so of plumbers tape to lower the front fender closer to the tire.

PB disc rack required some extras and mods to fit level. Went to Lowes for conduit clamps that fit over the seat-stays for the upper rack mounts, also notched out the bracket for the upper mount to bring it further forward allow it to sit level.