Back in the Club Again!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Back in the Club Again!

I moved to the Tampa Bay area a couple of years ago in hopes of continuing to regularly commute to work via bicycle. After being completely spoiled by the ease of riding my bicycle while in Germany, I was prepared for a little culture shock. Over the past couple of years I was able to ride to and from work (27 miles each way) once or twice a week for one or two weeks out of each month. By the time I got home from a full day at work on top of a 54 mile day of riding, I was exhausted.

Recently I have incorporated the city bus into my routine and I have been able to ride to work pretty much everyday for the past couple of weeks. Now I ride 27 miles to work in the mornings. In the evenings I put my bike on the bike rack in the front of the city bus, get off at the bus stop that is 6 miles from my house, and ride the rest of the way home. This cuts over 20 miles out of my daily commute and makes it so that I can do it on a daily basis. Best of all, the military base that I work on issues bus passes to any military and DOD civilian members that request them. So I donít even have to pay for the evening bus rides. Plus I get to take a half-hour nap in before I get home.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice. I remember your stories of racing German henchmen. Welcome back.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Good deal. Glad you`re back.

dirtbag
    Just don't oversleep on your nap on the bus and miss your stop! It might add a couple more miles.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Nice. I remember your stories of racing German henchmen. Welcome back.
    CB, I really miss the 5 mile "drag strip" that I used to ride to work in Germany. That is where I learned to ride hills. It is also a pretty historical stretch between Patch Barracks in Stuttgart-Vaihingen and Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen. Hitler had the trail built to allow tanks to be transportted between the bases. That is why the entire trail is paved with cobblestone, to be able to support the weight of the tanks. Now the trail is pretty much strictly used by cyclist and joggers.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Good deal. Glad you`re back.
    Thanks roder. It feels great to be back riding to work regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Just don't oversleep on your nap on the bus and miss your stop! It might add a couple more miles.
    I've already thought about this. The last bus stop is about 13 miles from my house. I ride in that area during some weekends. Even if I ride the bus to the last stop, I'd still end up riding about 7 miles less than riding home from work.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 10-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Members who have read this thread: 0