AZ commuters- Mtbr.com

Thread: AZ commuters

May 2007

AZ commuters

I'm being transferred from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Phoenix, Arizona as of June 1st. Please advise what I'm in store for when I arrive (weather wise) and preparation required to survive the dramatic increase in temperature (i.e. hydration, sunblock, etc.). My commute could be anywhere from 5-15 miles each way.

All That is Man
    15 miles wouldn't be bad. Phx is mostly pretty flat so that would easily be less than an hour if you don't have too many stops. I started commuting in early Feb in Tucson so I can't attest to what it will be like in the summer time, but mornings will be fine. Phx mornings tend to be warmer than in Tucson, often times it won't dip below 90. Afternoons (5pm) in Phx will probably be over 100 for probably 3 months straight give or take a few "cooler" days here and there.
    John

poser Administrator
    I can roll most days of the year with one bottle of water (a polar bottle is nice in the summer to keep h2o cold). You will need sunblock if you are commuting when the sun is out. I can go all year at 7am and 5:30pm with out any but I am italian so that helps too.

I do keep a bottle of spray on SPF30 in my desk in case i need to leave early or run an errand at lunch.

Definitely get good cycling clothes and ensure you have a place to cool down at work and clean up. You will sweat loads even in the AM. I also will jump right into the shower when i get home with cold water to cool down from my ride.

FWIW, I am what you would term an aggressive commuter. Litespeed siena, cycling clothes and shoes, messenger bag and minimal supplies.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

RHRF!
    I ride 2-3 days a week, year-round. I do have my limits though... upper - 109, lower 35. My trip one way is 12.5 miles and due to the hills I encounter (I live just east of Scottsdale, in Fountain Hills), I carry two water bottles after the ride home temp gets above 85.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Occidental Tourist
    Hot. hot. hot.
    Polar bottles. Panniers are cooler than packs.
    Drivers are psychotic.
    This may help get you started.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Hot. hot. hot.
    Polar bottles. Panniers are cooler than packs.
    Drivers are psychotic.
    This may help get you started.
    Oh, no. The worst drivers are in Michigan (sorry Michigan). I appreciate the info: hydration, panniers (no more backpack), sunblock, be prepared to sweat...got it
    After awhile i'll be moving into the mountain bike scene
    THANKS ALL!!!

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by spearchucker
    Oh, no. The worst drivers are in Michigan (sorry Michigan). I appreciate the info: hydration, panniers (no more backpack), sunblock, be prepared to sweat...got it
    THANKS ALL!!!
    Grew up in Michigan, lived in Midland a while, and have spent a good amount of time in Saginaw and Grand Rapids (among many smaller towns). Michigan driver's have nothing on Arizona. I sold my street legal motorcycle and won't get one out here, people are f'ing crazy!

May 2007

I'll ind out soon enough...

heading out of Ann Arbor the day after Memorial Day. I'll get a few weekend rides under my belt before I commit (let's see how bad AZ drivers can be). It'll take awhile to figure in the heat. I'll ease into it slowly.
    Thanks again.

May 2007

I stand corrected...

THANKS ALL!!!
    My last week in PHX before the final move in a couple of weeks. You are sooooo right. You can only safely ride (if there is such a thing as a "safe ride") where there are bike lanes. Uh, problem is...there are no bike lanes, just sidewalks. And, yes...the drivers are totally crazy if there are no bike lanes.
    Commuting will present a real challenge. I'll have to drive a few routes before I make my decision.

Occidental Tourist
    My last week in PHX before the final move in a couple of weeks. You are sooooo right. You can only safely ride (if there is such a thing as a "safe ride") where there are bike lanes. Uh, problem is...there are no bike lanes, just sidewalks. And, yes...the drivers are totally crazy if there are no bike lanes.
    Commuting will present a real challenge. I'll have to drive a few routes before I make my decision.
    If you need some help in finding a safe route, send me a PM between myself and a couple of others, we've got a pretty good grasp on all the safer routes around the valley.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Members who have read this thread: 0