Average speed- Mtbr.com

Thread: Average speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Average speed

What is your commuting average speed? This takes into account on average commuter bike, average cargo load, city or normal route, etc.

Also, share your commuting distance along with your average speed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    10.0 miles at 16.5 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather be on my bike
    This varies so much depending on time of day, traffic, load, location, etc. Take the second person to post in this thread. Averages 16.5 mph for 10 miles. That commute could be 10 miles with little no traffic, all green lights on a nice sunny day in early May in the middle of a less populated area. Then you take someone in NYC. Commute could be 8 miles and they average 6mph because of the traffic and lights and infrastructure.

Most commuters are on a normal shift. Go in to work in the morning and ride home late afternoon early evening. I go in at 3 pm and work until 11:30. Even if I were just change my shift, the commute time would vary I would imagine. But, for the sake of keeping in line, my commute is about 7.5-8 miles depending on the route. Average speed is about 17 mph give or take. Have seen it at 19 mph and lower like 14 mph. Depends on the bike, the weather, the day I had, etc.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

CB of the East
    Luckily I use Veloviewer and can filter on commutes and sort by speed to get you some exact numbers. These are all for approximately a 10-12 mile commute depending on the route. AND...

My average speed varies from a max of 23.3MPH on a road bike going full out to a minimum of 4.8MPH on a fatbike in the middle of winter in the middle of a blizzard walking across a snow covered lake. That ride was aptly named "The Soul Sucking Lake" It was funny to see how many rides said "Pugsley" when I sorted by average speed.

Today was 17.2MPH on a road bike in thick cold air.

Can anybody beat that range?

psycho cyclo addict
    My commutes are essentially recovery rides after long geared and single speed MTB, mixed surface and urban assault hammerfests each week so I don't pay much attention.

On 2+ hour (knobby 29er tire) urban assault rides, I've occasionally averaged > 16 MPH...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    It also varies considerable based on the number and size of hills you ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've come up with the very precise answer of between 12mph-20mph depending on what bike I ride, the weather and traffic.

My commute is about 6 miles, unless I decide to make it shorter (very rare) or longer (somewhat more common).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    'Bout average. Head wind? Lots of times, tailwind? Seldom. Fat bike, studded tire bike, bikepacker, upright good weather bike or cross check? 17 miles one way most of the time. Some good " commutes" home involve 8 miles of single track. What was the question? 17 miles, most days, 1.5 hours or a little less.

Human Test Subject
    A guy I know and follow on Strava averages 20+ on some commutes. It's largely trail, but I don't average that much in a car so all it tells me is he's not even slowing down at stop lights.

CB of the East
    ^^Well, you could look at his rides and see if he stops at stop lights. 20+ with stops is certainly quite possible.

mtbr member
    I must be the most boring here. 11km commute with a 20kph average throughout the year. In summer 1-2 more, in winter less and thats about it..mostly roads and flat too.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    According to Strava, i'm, doing just about 16MPH on a 12 mile ride into work with 650 feet of climbing My route home is 13 to 14 miles and I average 13.5MPH with just under 1200 feet of climbing.

Holding 20MPH on the flats with a road bike is not that difficult if you are fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    What is your commuting average speed?
    The cruelest metric.

Also: Strava doesn't count your time stopped at red lights, unless you are rolling ahead slowly or have some GPS drift.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Also: Strava doesn't count your time stopped at red lights, unless you are rolling ahead slowly or have some GPS drift.
    Well, nevermind on my original post, ghettocruiser is right, strava filters out your stopped time when computing averages.