Australian bird swooping season.- Mtbr.com

Aug 2009

Australian bird swooping season.

We may not have bears but we do have a lot annoying little creatures like the Australian magpie. Thank god it only lasts a few months. Luckily I've only got two magpie zones I pass on my 20km(each way) commute and both are on the downhill. When I finish work its 10pm and ride back the same route(uphill) but because its night no swooping occurs. Posting this to see what other experiences Aussies have with the magpies(does it happen overseas(swooping birds) - don't have that knowledge yet )

Best record I have is a magpie chasing me 500m or so and pecking a few chunks out of my helmet.

Few official facts.
    http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenpa...256C290005F61B

Few common myths to stop magpies swooping you! (What I believe are myths)
    - putting zip ties in your helmet pointing outwards
    - putting a no fear sticker on the back of your helmet(Big eyes)

Random video of someone getting swooped by the black and white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34CW...eature=related

edit - have to have wiki page

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Safe-fro...ralian-Magpies

No-Brakes Cougar
    We have magpies here in the States that do that, too. It's pretty annoying, especially when they set up shop in your own backyard and you can't even go out there without getting attacked. A friend of mine was on a work assignment in South Korea and she said the magpies there would figure out how long the leash was of a dog tied up in a yard and land outside the range of the leash to tease them.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

My Brain Hurts!
    Tennis anyone?

We have birds here that do the same. You have a helmet, ignore the little buggers....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

weirdo
    Magpies? I guess the ones around here are a different species- I`ve never known them to be agresive. Blue jays, on the other hand...
    But the bird in that vid sure kept at it for a lot longer than the rider could possibly have been a threat to the nest.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    There's a magpie that's set up camp right at the 6km to go mark of the 1/20 - that one will be frustrating plenty of people this year.

There's four other spots along my ~35km commute to the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Here in the states...

we've got magpies, bluejays, mocking birds, and a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment, that can be quite agressive during the nesting season. We've also got killdeers that have an odd defense. They nest on the ground, and they pair bond for at least the season. When one is on the nest the other keeps watch. At approaching danger they will swoop in very close and fly out about 15 yards ahead, land and start running and flopping around like they are injured. This distracts the "danger" from the nest and hopefully gets what ever it is to chase the flopper. They then fly off quickly. It ain't the drop and flop that's annoying, it's that swoop 6 inches away from your head that gets you. And they always swoop in from behind, kinda startling!

So I know what you are talking about. We don't have magpies here in the midwest, but we've got plenty of killdeers and jays to contend with. Fortunately none of them seem to be near as persistant as a magpie.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

weirdo
    Killdeer are cool! We have a pretty good population of them around here. Our birds must be of a more polite variety though. The killdeer haven`t ever swooped me and I`ve never seen a maggie attack- only the stinking Jays.

We have robbins nesting in our carport who like to perch on the door of my wife`s car and fight with their reflections in the mirror. Personally, I think that`s kind of funny, but my wife isn`t as amused because she`s the one who gets stuck cleaning their crap off the side of the door. For some reason, my truck doesn`t interest them.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I've Had Birds Crash Me A Few Times

..rammed me on the side of the head and over I went.

The red-winged blackbirds that nest along the road to my house are very adamant about defending their territory. I get swooped on every afternoon from early june through the end of august.

I've been pecked countles times, had one land on my helmet and grab on for a few seconds, and have crashed twice from them hitting my helmet at speed. About the only warning are approaching shadows if the sun is at the right angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hahaha....

now that is funny ryr. Well at least the part about fighting with themselves in the mirror. Cleaning the poo can be a pain though. I know aobut that too, we've got barn swallows that nest in our car port. Pretty birds, but they are a bit messy. The don't seem to bother the cars though.

Wow Shayne, never had a redwing do that. But then maybe I've just never gotten close enough to a nest. I know they like to nest in tall grass areas with trees, which my route doesn't include. We've got em around the house and in the feeder every summer though.

Oh well, if birds were all I had to contend with on my commute, I'd be a VERY happy camper!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    now that is funny ryr. Well at least the part about fighting with themselves in the mirror. Cleaning the poo can be a pain though. I know aobut that too, we've got barn swallows that nest in our car port. Pretty birds, but they are a bit messy. The don't seem to bother the cars though.

Wow Shayne, never had a redwing do that. But then maybe I've just never gotten close enough to a nest. I know they like to nest in tall grass areas with trees, which my route doesn't include. We've got em around the house and in the feeder every summer though.

Oh well, if birds were all I had to contend with on my commute, I'd be a VERY happy camper!

Good Dirt
    Amen - though there is young fella at work that hates commuting because of the magpies - sometimes you get the ones that wont touch you - some other times the ones that dive bomb you from there 120 feet high tree nests - the postman cops it the most. I would gladly have birds heckle me everyday if I didnt have to deal with motorists and dogs

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was belted hard by butcher birds (in Sydney) - last year - could see their shadows in front of me just before they hit.
    So I put half a dozen cable ties on my helmet last week - other than a bus driver shouting out his side window 'get a haircut' nothing has happened!
    Maybe it is a myth!

Bedwards Of The West
    I have Jays where I'm at, and they can be agressive when they're nesting. I also have kildeer... they will let you get SOOOOO close before they fly away and play hurt again. It's crazy.

I have some new birds this year that I haven't seen before though. Just this past week I've been having these little tiny (smaller than an average swallow) birds dart across the road in front of me...like 2 inches off of the ground. It's dark in the mornings now, so they'll go blasting across my headlight beam right in front of my tire. It freaks me out every time. They've been really active for maybe the past week or so. I'm starting to hate them.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Members who have read this thread: 0