AU bikecommuter wins 1.7 million from friend, fellow bikecommuter- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

AU bikecommuter wins 1.7 million from friend, fellow bikecommuter

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wow, tough call on this one. Crappy how a split second, with no bad intent, can lead to destroying two lives.

Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the injured rider to travel at a safe distance from the guy in front? If the lead rider was required to take better care, it seems to me, riding so close behind is reckless too.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, geeze, that's just not cool. They both should have been more careful - the rider ahead calling out the debris and riding around it instead of plowing into it, and the rider behind should have given more space. The monetary award is insane. I can't imagine that friendship has persisted after this. For me, that alone would prevent me from bringing a case against a longtime friend over an accident.

Moderator Moderator
    I seems like they need some insurance reform, the car insurance should pay even though it was not the driver's "fault". The cyclist's injuries would not have been so severe without a car involved, and paying for such consequences to others through insurance should be part of the pact in a car-centric society.

NDD
    mtbr member
    What about safe following distance? C'mon. The both were at fault, as far as I can tell. It sucks. It really does, but I don't know that this was any kind of justice.
    dang

I'd rather be on my bike
    I agree with NDD. If I am riding close to another cyclist which I have done before...I know that there comes a certain risk with that. If there is something in the road, or a tire blows out or a car runs a red light whatever, there is some risk with that. I choose to take that on. I would never blame someone for not pointing out a pothole or avoiding something in the road. Follow at a safe distance or suffer the consequences just like you would in an automobile. If you rear end someone you are to blame as you were following too closely.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

AU bikecommuter wins 1.7 million from friend, fellow bikecommuter

When riding a motorcycle in groups, staggered positions are recommended and taught for situations just like this. IMO, the guy had no business riding alongside his friend and (speculating ) likely wasn't keeping enough distance regardless of his lane position.

In Canada, I'm pretty sure it would have been covered by WCB (OSHA) since all workers are covered on the trip to and from work. That's not to say coverage would have been adequate or satisfactory to the injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk