Article: Why You Hate Cyclists- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Interesting read, hopefully it has the effect the writer was aiming at and loads of those who hate cyclist go to read it simply because of the title and stay to maybe get some education
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Natural Born Killer
    Great article, hopefully a lot of drivers read this. I'm going to post the links on a couple other forums I frequent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

since 4/10/2009
    great article!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Great article, hopefully a lot of drivers read this.
    Read it? Sure.

Learn from it? Hrmmmm...I think the comments section makes that look pretty unlikely.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Read it? Sure.

Learn from it? Hrmmmm...I think the comments section makes that look pretty unlikely.
    maybe not, but the more ideas like this are brought into the open, the less you'll hear from the negative people.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Naw, you'll never convince the auto-holics that the bike is a viable alternative. The degree of entitlement inherent in a driver (which has been there longer than traffic laws and licensing, in fact was the cause of it) is HORRIFYING.

We who ride are:

1. DUI offenders with lost licenses;
    2. Destitute, unable to afford the almighty car;
    3. Androgynous exhibitionists;
    4. Suicidal tools of the UN takeover;
    5. add your own here....

It's an old, OLD mindset -- you are more exalted in society if you are required to physically do less. And who wouldn't want to be more exalted? So, you MUST do AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

BTW, I find this prevalent mindset to be decadent and criminally STUPID. Some days, I really want to cut loose on these sphincters behind the wheel, and show them what their tax dollars paid for after seven years in uniform....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    ^ It's that whole tribal problem of being the "other."

I honestly think that the best approach is to teach drivers to profile cyclists the same way that they do other drivers.

"Cabbies are morons."
    "Jersey drivers are @#$#@%s"
    "Volkswagon drivers should just give up" (my personal bias)

and similarly

"fixie riders are tools"
    "drunk old homeless dudes on walmart FSs are idiots"
    "the chick on the mixte who thinks she's Zooey Deschanel is going to get herself killed"

It's still nonsense, but it seems to be something that humans need to do, and it changes the discussion away from all cyclists.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Unfortunately, the common mindset of an American Motorist is that they own the road. They hate slowing down for any reason. Many people don't really hate cyclists, they just hate when we are "in their way." Most people don't understand that roads aren't only for people in cars doing the posted speed limit or more.

The bottom line is that we need more bike friendly routes. Bike lanes, shoulders, greenways etc. People are never going to like sharing lanes. I think as cyclists we have responsibilities to be courteous and not ride certain routes if there is a viable alternative, but at the same time motorists need to slow down and perhaps leave earlier at times to deal with traffic conditions. That's life.

It's funny when people want to blame cyclists for making them late. I have been both a cyclist and a driver for a while, and grew up in an area very popular for cycling. As a driver, I never remember being held up for any real length of time where I felt that I was late because I had to wait behind someone on a bike, and this was frequently on narrow/windy roads with no shoulder. As much as people want to believe that cyclists are costing them a significant amount of time, it is almost never the case.

Natural Born Killer
    "the chick on the mixte who thinks she's Zooey Deschanel is going to get herself killed"
    Oh, that's a good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

since 4/10/2009
    good stuff in here.

I definitely avoid the local thoroughfares when possible. but when I cannot, it's still uncommon that I have problems.

I think a big part of why I rarely have problems is that people in this town are rarely in a hurry to do anything. speeding drivers are rare. drivers going 10mph UNDER the limit are very common. and in a lot of places, that speed puts them at about the same speed as me on my bicycle.

there isn't a single "bike lane" in town, either. there are some spots that would benefit from one, though.

and this is in Texas, where a lot of people think bicycles are entirely unwelcome on the roads. I think there are a few factors at play here. The first is the slower pace of life. Which goes along with CycleAddict's comment about the perception of holding people up. Here, people don't generally care and in some cases, cyclists are going the same speed. That perception just doesn't exist.

Another one is that there are a lot of low income folks who ride bikes because they just can't afford a car. So no matter where you work, at least one of your coworkers likely rides a bike every day. Be it at Walmart, the chicken plant, the dog food plant, or the university.

Then there are a lot of college students who ride bicycles around. As much as I make fun of the idiots who ride fixies, at least they're on bikes and because the drivers see more people on bikes we're just expected to be there. Also popular on campus are beach cruisers from Walmart. When I'm out, I always see other folks on bikes. I repeatedly see the same few people on bicycles, too. There's an old guy on a cruiser who walks every little tiny hill. There's a scrawny middle-aged guy with a homemade trailer who's always hauling boxes. I've seen him several miles outside town with his trailer and just about everywhere in town, too. He usually rides without a shirt in the summertime.

I think the local police have been working to educate bicyclists, too. I'd say that more than half of the bikes I see around town have some sort of lighting. I saw three bikes last night with brightly colored lights in the spokes, rear blinkies, and blinking headlights. Those folks stood out like sore thumbs. It's great. It's rare that I see bikes at night that are completely unlit.

mtbr member
    Not a bad article at all. I had to give props to the author for owning up to his @ssholiness. I also can't help but to think that if some of the riders in major cities are like some of the riders around here (and no reason to believe they aren't) then It's no surprise that the auto-philes get bent out of shape over riders, even if the numbers are only proportional to population size. Most folks around here tend to ride smart (ie; helmet, lights/reflectors, hi-viz clothing, obeying traffic laws), but we have the 2% idiots that make me wish there was a cop around, or do the ninja bike thing (riding at night with no helmet, no lights, no reflectors, wearing all black/dark clothes, riding against traffic). I generally don't care if they're gonna be that stupid, but since all my friends know I commute, they always make a point to telling me about how they saw "some moron last night" doing something dumb, and I hate the idea that some poor driver will eventually have one of these individuals do something stupid right in front of them and result in their death, and force them to deal with that for the rest of their lives.

As far as drivers go, they will keep drinking, texting, talking on cell phone, etc, until they get caught and get handed a big enough penalty that the message gets through, and/or the authorities make a real effort (and succeed) to remind people that while freedom to travel is a protected right (under U.S. Constitution), there's nothing that says that driving is a right.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I think the local police have been working to educate bicyclists, too..
    This begs a question I've considered multiple times recently. Should there be a better way to educate cyclists as well as drivers regarding cycling laws? I think we will all agree that the majority of drivers don't realize a lot of the stuff that pisses them off that we do is perfectly legal. Maybe if they realized that, it would at least help a small amount. Sure, they would still hate us for slowing them down, but at least they wouldn't look at us as criminals who slow them down. As far as educating cyclists, sure there are plenty that would still ride like jerks because, at least around here, it's extremely rare that a cyclist gets ticketed, but there are surely some who just don't realize that they shouldn't be on the sidewalk, should stop at stop signs and red lights, should travel the same direction as cars, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Should there be a better way to educate cyclists as well as drivers regarding cycling laws?
    This is what really bugs me.

Once every year our Police Service will do blitzes about jaywalking and cycling. They hand out a few tickets, and get a couple articles in the paper, and their job is done. There is never, ever any mention of the fact that riding on the sidewalk is illegal because it is actually more dangerous for the cyclists. There is never any attempt at education or pointing people to safe cycling resources or anything beyond crowing about how many tickets they issued.

These "articles" come straight from the neanderthals in the Communications department, and they treat riding on the sidewalk like it's a Checkstop.

"This year we caught 500 drunks who could have really easily killed someone! This year we ticketed 15 dirty rollerbladers and 20 dirty cyclists! They're apparently equally noteworthy!"

The problem is that this is nothing like drunk driving. People who ride on the sidewalk generally do it because they're afraid of the alternatives, or because our infrastructure it garbage.

These blitzes are only for drivers, and just confirm what drivers already know, which is that pedestrians and cyclists are obviously to blame for everything. So drivers basically get an annual handjob from the Police to reinforce just awesome they are, and then they continue treating everyone else like crap because the Police have told them that it's always someone else's fault.

since 4/10/2009
    This is what really bugs me.

Once every year our Police Service will do blitzes about jaywalking and cycling. They hand out a few tickets, and get a couple articles in the paper, and their job is done. There is never, ever any mention of the fact that riding on the sidewalk is illegal because it is actually more dangerous for the cyclists. There is never any attempt at education or pointing people to safe cycling resources or anything beyond crowing about how many tickets they issued.

These "articles" come straight from the neanderthals in the Communications department, and they treat riding on the sidewalk like it's a Checkstop.

"This year we caught 500 drunks who could have really easily killed someone! This year we ticketed 15 dirty rollerbladers and 20 dirty cyclists! They're apparently equally noteworthy!"

The problem is that this is nothing like drunk driving. People who ride on the sidewalk generally do it because they're afraid of the alternatives, or because our infrastructure it garbage.

These blitzes are only for drivers, and just confirm what drivers already know, which is that pedestrians and cyclists are obviously to blame for everything. So drivers basically get an annual handjob from the Police to reinforce just awesome they are, and then they continue treating everyone else like crap because the Police have told them that it's always someone else's fault.
    It's unfortunate your police treat that as "education". I have a friend who was stopped for not having a light on his bike. City cop. He was not given a ticket but was instructed why he needed a light. I think the campus cops run programs educating cyclists. They could do better but at least they are getting people lit.

I am sure the bike shop also works to educate folks. Here there may not be a helmet law but you are required to be lit if you ride after dark.

mtbr member
    ^ I've never been pulled over, so I don't actually know what the cops do. They might provide people with advice or help, or they might just give tickets. I'm not sure.

My problem is entirely with the press releases that they issue, and that then get mindlessly parroted in the news. Joe Public gets one news story per year about cycling, and the message of that story is: "Those f#$%ers deserve it."

Short-Change-Hero
    My city does the same type of "blitz" on jaywalking and cyclists every year. Same thing happens that there are reports in the newspapers about "bad cyclists" and what not but many times we are forced into situations where the only alternative is to jump on the sidewalks, etc. I have had to do this in multiple occasions as the roads are crap and to continue on my path would involve a) either riding so closely to a car I would likely catch my handlebars on their sideview mirrors, or b) ride in the gutter which is no more than 6" wide and normally the transition between the gutter and street is so broken that I would end up crashing in the first place.

Our local muscle powered group makes it a point every year to include the city council and members of the local government on a ride at the beginning of "bike to work week." This ride shows them some of these spots and involves them in traffic situations where cyclists are felt to be most threatened. I have to say that this is not always successful and has only "halfway" helped.

However, movies like "Premium Rush" or whatever the $%*& that POS movie is called only brings the wrong light to our situations and glorifies what many of us do with the adrenaline junkies. This then causes more "dumbasses" to get out there on two wheels and try these things out only looking for their next adrenaline high. While the influx only lasts a short while the resounding effects of their asshatery lasts for years to come, only negatively impacting us.

As I stated in another post, I recently had an incident while taking a government "risk assessment" driving class that was needed for my job. While in the class they began talking about "two wheeled" modes of transportation and an older woman chimed in that she "thought that bikes should yield to her. They had no idea how hard it was to control a 3000# vehicle." I quickly responded to her that "we do know how things like that are and that just because she does not see the need to use her own body to power her way to work as we choose does not give her any more right to the road. Also, that if she could not control her 3000# vehicle then she best have a friend drive her to the local DMV or sheriffs office as they will gladly take her surrendered license as she had not reason/right to be on the road and was more a danger than we cyclists."

mtbr member
    ^ I'm always surprised how readily people will admit - in public and on the internets - that they are incapable of driving. "Driving is sooooooo hard. Wah wah wah. A big circle and two pedals are too complicated for me. " So yeah, you should probably be taking the bus if you're such a risk to others?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I liked the part about thinking emotionally. very very true. We make decisions emotionally too, in most cases, and validate them later logically (albeit sometimes skewed logic)

Members who have read this thread: 0