anything better for the price than Planet Bike Blaze 1W?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

anything better for the price than Planet Bike Blaze 1W?

Any lights out there better and brighter for the price than this?

I am hoping to do some night / sunset time rides and I need to figure out what light to buy and do it quick.... thought about some of the Li-Ion lights but I do not want to pay that much.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Seems like a good light. You might want to use rechargeable batteries with it though, since it has a run time of only 7 hours on steady. I would be more apt to get the 1/2w Blaze myself, at least for commuting. The 1w model is probably better for night rides in the woods, but it doesn't appear to have a helmet mount either.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Run a very similar model to this. It is a planet bike 1w but I dont thinks its a Blaze. Very impressed with it, rechargeable batteries last me about two weeks on full flashing mode, whenever im commuting (5 ish hours a week).

Not quite enough light to see in dimly lit places very well but enough to see in pitch black ok. Run it on the flashing mode mainly, which takes a bit of getting used to in the dark so you don't feel like you are going to have a seizure but makes you know you can be seen :-)

Quick release attachment handy, just have the right thickness of electrical tape on my townie and commuter so I can just swap it stragiht over.

Good review - http://urbanvelo.org/planet-bike-blaze-1w/

Stay thirsty my friends
    I have four of them, bought a bunch for the family and thought I could use two at a time for myself when I ride at night. They are weak for trail riding and the color is poor for making out structure etc...but are better than nothing.

We use them for camping lights now and for this they are great, the bar clamp works great in the tent for the kids to read under. Run times are really outstanding for such an inexpensive light running on AA's.

I would never buy them again for bike riding at night, they just don't have the punch. You have to spend over $100 to get a good light for biking at night in the woods, I have two K2 Digital Emitters that I use for night riding, I got a great deal when the company went out of business and have been pretty happy considering what I paid for them from MEC.

Don't expect much from them for night riding in the woods, commuting might be OK but they are not that well sealed against the elements so beware riding in rough weather.

mtbr member
    I am willing to pay up to $150 for something that is bright and rechargable. I like the nightrider, but I have heard bad things about the batteries. What is the brightest/ most reliable light I can get for under $150??

I read the reviews, but the lights that appear bright are 2-300 or more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    I am willing to pay up to $150 for something that is bright and rechargable. I like the nightrider, but I have heard bad things about the batteries. What is the brightest/ most reliable light I can get for under $150??

I read the reviews, but the lights that appear bright are 2-300 or more.

DINOTTE 200L

Sorry...don't mean to shout...it's the best sub $150 light out there. 200 lumens...doesn't get hot, handlebar or helmet mount, runs on 4 AA batteries. I bought Sanyo 2700 mAh batteries and a La Crosse charger off Amazon. I use the thing every day and it rocks!

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

FWIW...the 200L-AAS (double A, short cable) is going for $95 without batteries or charger. Get better batteries and charger somewhere else and you are all set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FWIW...if you are willing to extend your budget a bit...consider the Ayup. Very light and bright and solidly built. A stupid amount of light for right at $200. Comes with LiIon battery and charger with car adapter. Includes helmet mount and 2 handlebar mounts.

ride the moment
    For $200 I'd get a NiteRider Minewt x2. I've got one and its awesome. Use it for commuting and trails and I've had no problems with the battery.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    For a cheap light, the 5 led light from Performance is the best value. Slightly less bright as the Blaze, but wider, more usable pattern. Like $18.

I like the Dinotte. Rechargeable AA battery pack. Bright for road riding by itself. Bean too narrow for trail riding. Add a Miniewt for a great trail combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    DINOTTE 200L

Sorry...don't mean to shout...it's the best sub $150 light out there. 200 lumens...

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

FWIW...the 200L-AAS (double A, short cable) is going for $95 without batteries or charger. Get better batteries and charger somewhere else and you are all set.
    +1 Dinotte 200L I bought a Duracell NiMH 15min charger kit w/ batteries and another set of 4 batteries that I ride with for spares. These lights are bright! for the price.

rob
    slakDawg
    I've also got the Dinotte 200L (the Li-ion version). It's a great light, in a lightweight package. Highly recommend it. Plus they're a great company. That said, if I know I'll be commuting home well after dark, I'll pack my 600L. Combine that with the 140L red taillight and cars MOVE OVER. I get way more space at night than during the day.

Oct 2008
    I have used the Niterider USB light for the past nine months.....so far so good. It has a decent pattern and the light temp is slightly blue (enhances contrast, at least to my eyes.) Mounting hardware is well designed and the general build quality was better than expected.

Blind biker
    I use a MTE flashlight from deal extreme. It was only 50 with 2 bateries, mount, and charger. Its bright enought to see with and be seen coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought the Amoeba sold by Scar in the classifieds. Works great. $210. I've had mine for a year. Not as bright as my dynamo lights, but pretty bright.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    My advice would be to call Planet Bike and ask for Chris. He is my go to guy when I need parts for the wooden fenders I make. He's a terrible salesman in the fact that if you want a more expensive item and he has the same quality in a lower price item, he will tell you..LOL He's always bee very good with advice and product knowledge. #10 in my speed dial (866) 256.8510
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Members who have read this thread: 0