Anyone use 1.25 tire with Stan's rims?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Anyone use 1.25 tire with Stan's rims?

Does anyone use a Stan's rim on a daily basis with tire width between 1 - 1.5? If so, what's your tire pressure? I don't want to blow off my tire - most likely at 1.35 Schwalbe Kojak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm running some cyclocross tires that measure out to 36mm (1.4") on Stans ZTR 29er rims. I usually race them around 30-32psi, but I have had commuter tires about the same size on the same rims at around 60psi and no problems.

My guess is you are looking to get them up to around 100psi? If that's true, this is of little help to you, but try them out at lower pressures. Still fast, and much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks K-Chuck! no need to go up to 100 psi, but 60 (maybe 80) psi would be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A bit late reply but it may help other people too...

For quite a while I've been running Schwalbe Kojaks 700x35mm at 60PSI on ZTR355 29er rims with no problems. I only used a yellow strip and two scoops of sealant.
    With tubes you could safely run them at higher pressure.
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Barteos
    A bit late reply but it may help other people too...

For quite a while I've been running Schwalbe Kojaks 700x35mm at 60PSI on ZTR355 29er rims with no problems. I only used a yellow strip and two scoops of sealant.
    With tubes you could safely run them at higher pressure.
    I checked w/ Stan's and their only recommendation when running the narrower tires was to use tires with a wire bead. I ran some 32mm's for a year tubeless and never had any problems/concerns with the tire coming off of the rim (although I did blow a Racing Ralph off of the rim a couple months ago but that is another story).

What I did find though was that if you do puncture a tire when running higher air pressure (50-60 psi), it just blows the Stan's right through the tire and doesn't really seal the puncture. By the time the Stan's was doing it's job, the pressure was down to about 30. On two separate commutes last year I got tire punctures that the Stan's couldn't/wouldn't seal at a rideable tire pressure. I am now back to commuting on 2.1's.

Members who have read this thread: 0