anyone toss the keys?- Mtbr.com
    hipneck
    Jan 2004

anyone toss the keys?

Just wanted to ask if anyone here got rid of their car (payment) and use just a bike to get around? I live in an urban-esque enviroment, work is about 1.25 miles, grocery store is .25 miles and I cant think of a single reason (other than my ego) to not at least try it for a while. Just looking for opinions from people who have tried it or are considering it.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    When I lived in San Francisco, I went a good many years without a car. It was easier to rent one if I wanted to leave the city than to own one with all its headaches. I either biked (250 miles a week), walked, or took public transportation.

Depends mostly on where you live. I lived in San Antonio and there is no way I could have existed sans automobile. I probably could do it now if I moved into Denver proper. But for me know, with kids, just commuting into work three days a week saves a ton in gas and parking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm about 5 months in. Love it. Should have done it years ago.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Just wanted to ask if anyone here got rid of their car (payment) and use just a bike to get around? I live in an urban-esque enviroment, work is about 1.25 miles, grocery store is .25 miles and I cant think of a single reason (other than my ego) to not at least try it for a while. Just looking for opinions from people who have tried it or are considering it.
    Never owned one, not interested. One less hassle.

Work - 13km
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Yeah!
    No monthly payments with two sedans and an suv, does that count? I go to the bike as much as possible, but with boys in middle and high school, it's not possible for me to be carless. The trailer's a bit much for the bike, too.

I've fallen ill twice after cycling to work, the ride home sucked, can't say I'd want to have to bike to the store for something while running a full-blown fever. Not willing to imposition my friends to handle vehicular needs when they arise... I guess carless just isn't for me.

Giving up track days, that smell after a hard brake from 140mph at the end of a long straightaway, that feeling when I get the girl to rotate and drift through a series of tight turns... I'm not giving that up, nope.

Can't say having a vehicle has ever been a hassle, but I will admit I am very pre-emptive in my care of all things mechanical. The only true breakdown we've had was a screw in a tire that deflated in seconds. I've had that happen a hell of a lot more on my road bike, like x100, so not sure that's a hassle that counts.

I think it's great to reduce unecessary trips and use pedal power whever possible, but I don't think this is a craze that will every see the light of day beyond dedicated cyclists. I do see carless people hoofin' it, but I don't think that is by choice as they never seem happy about their situation. Can't say I'd want to lug groceries by hand, or even in a stolen shopping cart, to and from the store a few miles away.

Electric assist trailers are freakin' awesome! Not as "green" as pedal power, but some of them will let you bike with 200Lbs at speed. If they ever price them below the upper stratosphere, I think i'd get one just to show it off!
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, I donated mine to Cars For Charity. I was thinking about fixing it up, but the cost to fix it would've been significant, and restarting the insurance would've been extra-expensive for the first six months. And I would use it twice a month to go get groceries, so it would be like feeding a $100 bill into a slot in the dashboard every time I drive it.

I'm single with no dependents and work in a bike shop, so it was an easy decision for me. Work is under 4 miles, supermarket is another 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was just talking to my sisters about this who are in town for the weekend. I live in a mid-sized city and I just can't see doing it right now. My job has me lugging heavy gear around if I have to change work locations and even though I make a vast majority of my trips by bicycle, the trips I still make by car would be a massive hassle sans car. Right now I think I'm just going to be stuck as car-lite and hope it'll prolong the life of my car enough I'll have a few years of no payments.

I guess I could go car free, but with my current money situation the hassle for those times I'd need the car don't outweigh the money I'd save. If you can do it more power to ya, I wish I could.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I nominally have a car. It's keeps breaking down on me due to lack of use. I don't think I've driven much more than a couple thousand miles in the last five years. I basically only use it if I have to pick someone or something up, or when I go out of town for the weekend. But, unfortunately, I personally still rather have it as an option (can't let go of the training wheels).

I'd rather be on my bike
    If I could feasibly do it, I would. Climate and city lay out just don't allow for me to do it unfortunately. I would love to give up that payment and monthly insurance bill, trust me!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    for the married guys, who is a one car house? To me, that's close enough to car free for me to count, especially for the U.S.

mtbr member
    I have in the past, mostly out of necessity as I couldn't afford it.

The only downside was it was hard ot get out to the nearby mountains to bike or hike or ski. If a friend wasn't going I was out of luck. I couldn't just get out for an afternoon.

I would rent a car occasionally for the weekend to get out. Only $50-70 a weekend for the cheap options. Or I would borrow friends cars a repay in beer.

When I move in with my current significant other, we already plan on dropping to a one car household.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Climate and city infrastructure have a big part in it for sure. As cities add more bike lanes and paths it will get more popular. Having work and grocery stores within a certain radius makes it more doable as well. There are local car share adds where people will drive you from A-B for $5-10 if you can plan a head. Gotta take advantage of free shipping on bigger items purchased online. For me I save about $200 a month now being car free strictly on operating costs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

anyone toss the keys?

How do you get to the trails outside of the city?

I work 35 miles from home. That might be a bit much for everyday. The trails are 10 miles away. That is doable. If work was under 15 miles away, I would probably ride it.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I just noticed there was a zipcar parking space here in town. We are a bit too rural to really get rid of a car though

I'm SUCH a square....
    I sold my last car (to the junkyard) in '04. My sister has a vehicle, and while that makes grocerying easier ( i give her the $$, she shops -- AWESOME cook!), I've done it with a trailer before, for MONTHS at a time. It's such a part of who I am that nobody even offers rides any more...they all KNOW I'll politely refuse.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    for the married guys, who is a one car house? To me, that's close enough to car free for me to count, especially for the U.S.
    Single car household here, 15 mile one-way commute to work, able to work one day a week from home.

Our car is paid off, when it comes time trade it in, we will probably buy the replacement outright.

While my wife doesn't really do much mountain biking, she does enjoy hiking, so getting to trails really isn't an issue. Normally can catch a ride with someone else if she has other things to do.

Also helps that I can ride to some local trails, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My '06 Acura TL has been paid off for a long time. I've kept it in near new condition and can't think of a good reason to replace it with another car or to sell it. The GN gets driven twice a year and sometimes not even that often so it almost doesn't count. I just bought a new BMW, but the fiancée drives it 99% of the time. I buy new cars most of the time but I keep them for a very long time.

There's no way I would go carless, plus it wouldn't make sense with two of them being paid off. I have co-workers that share cars with their spouse and it seems like a huge pain. When the car breaks down, they're bumming rides off of me. Most have children so you can imagine how much of an annoyance that is. Right now I can usually stretch it out to a month between fillups in the Acura and even farther in the slightly more powerful BMW with a smaller tank which was a surprise. That's at most $60 a month in gas and $60 a year for my once a year oil change in the Acura, the BMW gets free oil changes. Plus, if there is an emergency, we're not riding our bikes to the hospital that's over 10 miles away.

On the rare occurrence one of the cars is not functional, we will share a car before renting a car and even then it's not fun. I go to work at 4:30am and she goes to work after 7am. She loses an hour of sleep taking me to work because it's not worth trying to go back to sleep for an hour. I work only 1.5 miles away from work. If the route wasn't suicide, I would bike to work most of the time. I've done it before on the Trance but it's too dangerous and I usually end up with higher blood pressure at the end of a ride than at the beginning. It would be awesome to be able to bike to work every day, I would really like to do so. My work supplies us with bikes if we want to use them to commute. They also have lots of secure bike racks to use both inside and outside plus hooks on a wall for the more expensive bikes that won't get damaged from people leaning on them and bending rims or scratching paint.

Not owning a car just isn't practical here. Everything is too far away and it's not bike friendly. When I visited Greece I remember thinking that I could live there without a car (In Tripoli) since everything was laid out so well. Anything that was needed was within walking distance. If not carless, a single car household would be more than enough over there.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Toss the keys? Oh heck no; not here. My vehicles are all paid for and are a longtime hobby and passion in addition to being transportation.

Mr. BuickGN, you need to give that thing a bit more excersize but I like your style.

Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line · old-school cool :cool:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    Toss the keys? Oh heck no; not here. My vehicles are all paid for and are a longtime hobby and passion in addition to being transportation.

Mr. BuickGN, you need to give that thing a bit more excersize but I like your style.

Very nice! Is that an 84/85? My friend has 3 '84s and is in the process of getting an '86. He also has a Haro too. Mine is an '84 with the '87 drivetrain. I got it into the 11s using mostly stock hotair stuff before converting. Even my father's stage II car is an '84. I see the hotair rims but the intercooled emblem and an '87 grill.

Anyway, awesome car and bike. Mine has no engine. I bought an Indy engine for only $4k but that wouldn't work, it didn't make power under 9k so I took out a loan to buy a twin turbo race car with 2,300hp that would be street driven but the guy backed out when I had cash in hand so I'm stuck with a non running car. I'll probably take a year or so building a stage motor instead of my ticking time bomb stock block making 602rwhp. Even if it makes no additional hp the security will be worth it.

Thanks for sharing the car and the bike! I almost forgot, the only reason I can take so much time off from the GN is two of my friends have them and my father has a daily Turbo T and a stage II "toy" GN. Otherwise I would put it back together asap so I could get my fix.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    It's an '87 Astroroof car actually. I just wanted a different look so I traded into the '84 GN wheels from a friend who parted one out. The original wheels are stowed in the attic. We need to take this over to turbobuick.com as we're mucking up the OP's original thread now. I'm MeanBuicks over there.

Back to tossing those keys...
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line · old-school cool :cool:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    Anyway, awesome car and bike. Mine has no engine. I bought an Indy engine for only $4k but that wouldn't work, it didn't make power under 9k so I took out a loan to buy a twin turbo race car with 2,300hp that would be street driven but the guy backed out when I had cash in hand so I'm stuck with a non running car. I'll probably take a year or so building a stage motor instead of my ticking time bomb stock block making 602rwhp. Even if it makes no additional hp the security will be worth it.
    All you need is a Stage II 455. =D

Nice GN.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    In June of 2013, I tossed the keys and became a full time utilitarian cyclist. My daily route to work is 11.8 miles one way, and I have my choice of grocery and convenience stores within a reasonable 2-3 miles. I'm also married with four kids. My wife has her minivan, but wants a bakfiet so that we can go super car lite. The only time I drive is my work van and the minivan, save for a month beginning mid-November. I was hit by a car and had to recover. I'm now back to rolling everywhere, and I"m loving it. My re-maiden voyage was to the bar for a celebratory beverage.

Yeah!
    For the carless, must be a bit ironic to have to use a car while recovering from being assaulted by a car.

Any decent cargobike costs more than some of our cars. I'd have to go the spend a few hundred dollars and DIY an awesome trailer route.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    I saw no irony, to be honest. I am hoping to have a new bike day soon, once I'm finished arguing with the insurance company.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

I'd rather be on my bike
    I guess that I am in a decent position here. My car is a lease, which will be up the summer after next. I could turn it in, and just go car less, just like that. The logistics of it are what get me worried. Trips to the grocery store would become an issue as public transportation is not that great here. The bus line does run just outside my apartment though but the idea of hauling a good load of groceries on the bus just seems like a huge hassle. OK, so then you get a trailer/transport bike. The bike I can park in my apartment. The trailer? Where would that go? If I had a garden level with a patio it would be ok there I guess, or I would at least have the sliding glass door to get outside with it. I am afraid that I would turn into a hermit and just do most of my shopping online since trips out to other towns like Detroit would just be a hassle with catching a ride or renting or a car. At least the post office is just down the road so shipping stuff back wouldn't be an issue. Kind of afraid to give up the freedom that having a car brings.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    They make collapsible trailers you could store someplace like maybe the trunk of the 'Stang?

Aosom Wanderer Cargo / Luggage Bike Trailer & Reviews | Wayfair

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I haven't owned a vehicle in 5 years give or take...I use to have a 12 mile commute and now it's down to 8...the grocery store is a 6 minute walk or a 43 second bike ride...when the weather(snow,heavy rain) gets bad is the only time it sucks! but I make due...public transportation in Boston is pretty good,every bus has a bike rack...I bought 4 tubes and two chains last year and I still have 2 tubes to start the new year...I figured I've saved 253,143.47 over the years,give or take 40 bucks

mtbr member
    This is my second go around no car. First time was for six and half years, been a little longer now this time. A few times a year we rent or borrow a car to go hiking/camping/out of town, or to run certain errands (take the cats for their annual check-up etc), but other than that, we're fairly happily car-free. Were much more so until we got priced out of a walkable neighborhood, but we've been managing with the help of grocery delivery.

I say go for it. It's very liberating to not have to worry about insurance, repairs, parking, and the cost of gas. Save some of the money for the occasional car rental, cab/Uber/Lift, or Car-2-Go/Zipcar/etc, and blow the rest on fun and bikes!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model