Anyone ride with a helmet cam or use one occassionly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ride with a helmet cam or use one occassionly?

Lately I've been thinking about getting one. Ebay has some for cheap, like $50-$90, some cheaper. Then there is the Contour HD 1080, which is around $200. I'm completely new to buying a helmet cam. The smart shopper/cheapskate side of me teels me I should get the cheap no-name Ebay cam instead, but then again I sometimes will tell myself to skip the cheap stuff and go for quality. The Contour is a bit much, but I'm willing to go for it.

My plan for a helmet cam is for commuting and seeing what goes on during my commute...or at least see how it was. I have this fun idea of facing the camera backward just to see what drivers are doing behind me. Of course I won't be able to find out until I get home and review the video. Should be fun to see what drivers are doing behind the wheel while behind me. Also, should some idiot toss a water bottle at me, I can catch it on video. Will a 640x480 cam do the job of getting a license plate?

A cheap cam I'm looking at on Ebay is about 4" in length. Are they usually that big? I want something that's plug and play.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The HD cameras offer more than just a "bigger" picture. The color, accuracy and detail is much better. However, there is a downside, you need a computer capable of processing/rendering/storing the larger HD files. The Contour 1080p and the GoPro HD are both the leaders in the actions sports market. If you have no interest in full HD (1080p) you could look at the contour 720 (discontinued) or the GoPro Hero 960. You might find the contour to be more slim and streamlined, but the GoPro is totally waterproof out of the box. Both are basically plug and play, but the contour comes with software to make easy/simple edits and post. Some people find the GoPro too fishy eye with the wider angle lens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by webative View Post
    The HD cameras offer more than just a "bigger" picture. The color, accuracy and detail is much better. However, there is a downside, you need a computer capable of processing/rendering/storing the larger HD files. The Contour 1080p and the GoPro HD are both the leaders in the actions sports market. If you have no interest in full HD (1080p) you could look at the contour 720 (discontinued) or the GoPro Hero 960. You might find the contour to be more slim and streamlined, but the GoPro is totally waterproof out of the box. Both are basically plug and play, but the contour comes with software to make easy/simple edits and post. Some people find the GoPro too fishy eye with the wider angle lens.

Thanks for that info about havong a computer that can handle HD files. I'm still runing on a P4 3.2 HT chip. So maybe a cam that's 720 and lower is better. Does the Contour 1080 have the option of changing resolution size? I totally like the sleek and clean look of the Contour. Watching some on Ebay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a ContourHD. It's nice. You can zoom in on the video and get details. It's helped me pick out an otherwise blurry license plate into a readable one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get three or four and mount them all facing in different directions.

Your computer cam probably play HD video, but forget about editing it!
    Matt

Short-Change-Hero
    Just picked up the GoPro HD960 from Costco with a bunch of accessories (no card) for less than $200. Really it serves our purposes well and I have been happy with the quality of video that I have been able to upload and play with. I have a new iMac (latest generation) and it handles the HD video fine and iMovie/iPhoto allows me to lots with what I have captured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Lately I've been thinking about getting one. Ebay has some for cheap, like $50-$90, some cheaper. ... Will a 640x480 cam do the job of getting a license plate?
    No. Unless you had a very narrow field of view lens. I have two Keyfob cameras and they are incapable of doing a plate

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    A cheap cam I'm looking at on Ebay is about 4" in length. Are they usually that big? I want something that's plug and play.
    I have a Drift 170 HD Stealth. It has a remote swich so you can turn it on after the fact. I keep my filming short to ease editing. I have to try one of the big files in Quick Pro to see if I can cut it up for editing. It will do 170 degrees in 1080, in 720 and 30 fps you can zoom it tighter. In 720 you can drop to 25 fps but no lnger zoom. SD mode which is between 640 x 480 and 720 but only at 30 fps and no zoom. It also does stills singly or every 1, 5, 10, 20, 30 min.

If you look at the "Another Commuting Thread about Lights', one of the more recent posts is mine with video from this camera on a tripod. The long distance was done in 1080, the closer drive by in 720 zoomed in close to as tight as it goes.

It is a single unit and certainly noticable, but it is pretty rugged, having hit a few limbs, been dropped etc. It has a night vision (not green) which is decent but I wish it was a bit mor sensitive. It is just good enough for my purposes, and I did read a plate with it. There is a post of a trailer plate still somehwere earlier in this forum I lifted from a ride.

Hope this helps.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had one for a while.....lots of fun...

Then it died...

Editing the video takes a lot of time and no one really wants to watch, the long and boring parts of most rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Drift Stealth is pretty cool.

Nice quality video, can run for long periods (like 4-5 hours on extended battery) and pretty rugged.

Not too small though ..

Used to film every ride in the city but got lazy.