Anyone out there running shimano's dual-control?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone out there running shimano's dual-control?

Do you like it? I swore to never use it on the trails but for commuting and touring it would be really nice....looking for opinions.

since 4/10/2009
    Worst modern shifter system I've ever used. Hands down. I prefer just about everything else I've ever used. Except maybe downtube shifters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Worst modern shifter system I've ever used. Hands down. I prefer just about everything else I've ever used. Except maybe downtube shifters.

what were you running them on?....gravel road....streets....mountain trail? I am curious to know your issues. I am only doing them because I want more room for grips on my handlebars and consolidating was my best option without changing handle bars and that is not an option as I wish to keep my setup. I know guys have had trouble on the trails with them. But streets are a different purpose.

since 4/10/2009
    I just hate them no matter what kind of riding. The back hand motion is totally unnatural. I am glad they are no longer made.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Im thinking of bringing back grip shifts.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Im thinking of bringing back grip shifts.
    they never went away....that's what is on my 29er.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I run them on my XC bike. I had them, they are intuitive, but meh.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    they never went away....that's what is on my 29er.
    Really!? Ive been away from biking but i have yet to see them so i thought they were dead.

Edit:

I see sram still makes them.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I thought the idea had merit. I prefer the ones with the thumb release, and never understood the rapid rise but setup right they work well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sram owns them

mtbr member
    Since 2003. Had the 765 then went to 775.

My favorite MTB shifting system, however few share my love.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well they came in and I will be giving them a try here the next few months. So far my only complaint has been the cable housing being in the way of each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ok after a few days.....LOVE EM!!!!!
    Last edited by digitalayon; 05-01-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: N/A

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My XC race bike uses X01 with gripshift. Once you get a feel for it trigger shifters just seem cumbersome. My commuter uses an XT trigger and when I am out of the seat I can never decide which way to release cause its a bit ackward to adjust your hand either way. On my XC bike its so much better. I think alot of people would prefer gripshift over trigger if they gave it a real chance.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Anyone out there running shimano's dual-control?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDragoon View Post
    My XC race bike uses X01 with gripshift. Once you get a feel for it trigger shifters just seem cumbersome. My commuter uses an XT trigger and when I am out of the seat I can never decide which way to release cause its a bit ackward to adjust your hand either way. On my XC bike its so much better. I think alot of people would prefer gripshift over trigger if they gave it a real chance.
    Been there done that. Trigger, grip, dual control, thumbies, bar end, etc. Done it all.

Grip shift was one of my favorites, except that it made my thumbs blister from rubbing the flange. I wish Shimano would bring dual control to 10 speed. Its faster for me.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDragoon View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've heard a LOT of sentiment expressed hating them. Certainly my girlfriend detests them, and I dislike them as well. I actually accidentally picked up a dual control shifter for one of her bikes to replace the gripshifters it came with and she likes the dual control. We mountain bike and tour and do some city riding, and she has expressed that she wouldn't want it off-road.

I'm also under the impression that gripshifters aren't as mechanically reliable as other shifters.

On the rapid-rise front, I've got a rapid rise rear derailleur that I've been using on my commuter for the past two years. I like it, but I live in a hilly area. It is getting moved over to my tourer now that I am finally getting that built up, but I'm tempted to get another rapid rise rear derailleur despite the fact my new commuter has a perfectly good rear derailleur, because I think it'll be annoying. The reason I want the RR derailleur on my tourer is that if I have a failure it'll default to the low position.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model