Anyone here ride the Mendota?- Mtbr.com
    The Tyranical Teabagger

Anyone here ride the Mendota?

I'm torn between the Mendota and the Lemond Poprad for my commuter...anyone want to add their two cents? I only commute about 6 miles, bike paths and a bit of road. Don't feel like riding my carbon rush to work and don't feel like driving my 12mpg pig of a truck this summer with the gas prices @ $11.72 per gallon.

I'm SUCH a square....
    don't own either, but looking at both, i gotta say: the Mendota is made for the purpose you're looking at. other than that, the question is: do you want to ride a mtb bar (& get that better sram shifting), or a drop bar?

almost wish i had your problem (i'm just not a trek-o-phile), but i have one bike -- fat tires, 5" f/r suss, and i ride that beautiful beast EVERYWHERE!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

The Tyranical Teabagger
    yeah, i'm leaning more and more to the mendota but would love to get the poprad just for shits and giggles. i'm not a trek-o-phile...just work at a fisher dealer gotta go where the price is right...i have been looking at other offerings from specialized and cannondale ( which we sell ) but the mendota is the strong contender for me.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

I'm SUCH a square....
    ok, didn't know you were shopping them -- thought you had a stable there....

the only thing the big S has that would remotely work for you would be the roubaix, and i don't think it'll have the versatility you seem to be looking for. just my opinion, but "f" the big "c".

a sh/gig decision can come back and bite you; sheldon brown himself (r.i.p.) said "there's nothing more important you can do with your bike than ride it to work." the absolute functionality of the sram drivetrain is the dealmaker for me, at least; there's NO shimano on my horse....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

CMW

Mar 2004
    I seriously thought about a Mendota but the bike just didn't balance out well for me. Not comfortable. The other concern I had was the disk brake attached to a carbon fork. Don't get me wrong that bike has phenomenal acceleration, very close to a road bike. To be honest I'd rather build up a Kaitai frame(great frame) with better parts, cantilever brakes and fork out of a 7.5 FX. That would be the "perfect fit" bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0