Anyone commuting in the rain, on purpose?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Anyone commuting in the rain, on purpose?

Anyone actually venture out on a rainy day on purpose? I normally boycott on rainy days, but now its workday 5 in a row with rain/snow, so i need to change my attitude...
    - are your feet soaked when you get there? Shoe covers?
    - do you clothes dry out for ride home or do you pack extra?
    What else do i need to know?
    I bought rain gear (jacket, pants) what am i missing here?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    The workplace has a big vacant equipment room where I can dry out my rain gear. If it's above 12 or 15C I'll forgo the waterproof layers and just get soaked, but I'll bring separate riding clothes for the commute home since stuff that wet will never dry in time.

Feet.... Back in the day I used to be able to get totally waterproof neoprene shoe covers for $30CAD from MEC.

I'm talking riding without fenders for an hour with an inch of water on the road waterproof.

Nowadays, I can't find anything similar. I must have had 10 pairs of different Garneau, Endura, and Gore shoe covers, and none of them even bordered on waterproof.

I basically have to use my winter MTB shoes with the goretex liner, and it irritates me to be wearing out a $200+ pair of winter shoes in non-winter conditions. So I'm also looking for suggestions if anyone has found totally waterproof shoe covers.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

jrm
    mtbr member
    On the weekends ill get out between showers and find shelter out there where i can. But commute wise..no. Its not the rain its the way people drive in it that worries me more.

CB of the East
    Like ghettocuiser I haven't found a good solution for my feet. I haven't met a shoe cover that I like. They are all too tight, water runs down you leg and fills your shoe because no pants stay down like they should. Once you shoes get wet they stay wet for days or you have to do extra work like a boot dryer or stuffing them with newspaper and changing it out. The extra layers take extra time. Blah Blah Blah.

Riding in the rain is absolutely fine. It's all the extra work to support it that is making me do it less and less. Riding in the snow is much better. Summer rain is OK because vented summer shoes dry quick and you can just get wet.

I think Woodway has a good shoecover solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I haven't met a shoe cover that I like. They are all too tight, water runs down you leg and fills your shoe because no pants stay down like they should.
    Once the aforementioned waterproof neoprene shoe covers ripped at the toe, I cut them off at the ankles and made them into gaitors which come up high enough to stay fully under the pant leg and keep water out of my winter shoes.

Fast forward five years, and there is now a small hole in the right side ankle that I start to feel when I hit big puddles. Bummer.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, that's why fenders were invented! The 2 items I don't even try to dry at work are socks and gloves, so I either pack an extra or keep a spare at work, or go without gloves if it is warm enough. My other stuff dries with the help of hangers and a fan in my cubie mini cabinet. Sometimes I keep a pair of old unfavored bike shorts at work too, in case those don't dry. As bedwards said, the shoes take a little work, I stuff in newspaper upon arrival and use a mini shoe drier (it slips into the shoe, very compact) if needed for a couple hours. I do use a good rain jacket from showers pass, but don't typically use waterproof pants. If it's chilly, another nice item is a waterproof cap or helmet cover.

Human Test Subject
    Pearl Izumi makes some good shoe covers. I usually wear them over my Lake MX145s and I stay dry. I have a Showers Pass Refuge jacket and pants which are great and some Pearl Izumi WxB gloves. I stay 100% dry from rain but sometimes get really warm.

Drivers here in Minneapolis usually give more space when it's raining or snowing. They know cyclists out in the crap are crazy and won't hesitate to bite someone's bumper off.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Yes on purpose, when the temperatures are ok. Too warm and I get boiled, too cold and I freeze...

In light rain I prefer good windstopper clothing with fresh dwr treatment. In moderate/heavier rain I go for an altura jacket, endura luminite rainpants and vaude capital shoecovers. I have relatively short legs so I dont have the issue of the pants being too short like bedwards describes. I know some brands also have extra long models in their range. My endura for example has a double layer at the bottom of 7cm, folded inwards with pushbuttons. If you release them the pants get 7cm extra length.

The showcovers are ok, I wear them every day in winter too keep my feet warm and they make a windproof seal when you fold your pants in them. They are also big enough to wear over regular office shoes. I have mine in 47-49 size and they fit over my shimano xm7 shoes size 47, which is basically 45,5 (all sizes in european sizes, sorry)

mtbr member
    Ok I.just remember these shoecovers that are extra long:

https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Product...r=012800100360

They go up to below the knee, that should definitely work for you bedwards.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I like Showers Pass shoe covers. If it's light rain, I wear them over my tights and they keep my feet nice and dry. For heavy rain I pull my tights over the tops of the shoe covers to keep the water from running down my legs. Works in all but the heaviest of rains.

I also wear them on dry, cold days - they work great to keep my feet warm.

Around here (Seattle area) if you did not ride in the rain on purpose, you would not be able to ride all winter.

mtbr member
    Doesn't help ya too much, but...

I live on a tropical island. Rainy season is just like the Forrest Gump scene in Vietnam. I ride in the rain all the time, on purpose. I wear a jacket and ride slowly because I'll just sweat terribly. I have a complete change of clothes in my office juuuuuuust in case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Ok I.just remember these shoecovers that are extra long:

https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Product...r=012800100360

They go up to below the knee, that should definitely work for you bedwards.
    I need to get a pair of these! I stay pretty decent except for water that goes thru my AMFIBS then runs down my legs into my shoes/boots...
    Very cool.
    Thanks
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

CB of the East
    Those do look good and they are even available on Amazon. I'm not sure I am mentally ready to try another shoe cover option yet. What size!!!!???!!! All these big questions. I have shoe cover PTSD.

mtbr member
    I quickly scanned some reviews about those. They seem to be highly rated on average, two comments that caught my eye:
    -Order one size bigger than you wear when wearing office / running shoes.
    -One lady said, only for people with thin lower legs.

I myself have the VauDe Capital Plus. Their height is between the long gaitors and the normal height of shoe covers for roadbike shoes.

I got the 47-49 version and those are too big for normal shoes, and have a snug fit around my Shimano XM7 shoes size 47 (I normally wear shoe size 45,5).

I also know that VauDe has rainpants in a "long" version, I believe that means 34" long. I have the regular length, they are 32" long.

Sorry for the european shoe sizing numbers, dont really know the US sizes that compare to them.

CB of the East
    ^^^Yes, this is EXACTLY the problem. All of it. I've probably tried 4-6 different shoe covers and all of them have been too small to fit over MTB boots and need to be stretched. I'm always worried that I will rip them apart. Then I found one that was a very similar style to the one above with the Velcro in the back. They only had XL and I thought great, every other shoe cover has been too small, so I bought them. With the Velcro closed in the back they fit like trash bags...WAY too big. I tried to get a smaller size and they were about $120 for anything but XL so I said screw it, I don't need to pay that much for more shoe cover aggravation. I bought a pair of Castellie ones for $45 and they are tight and not really waterproof despite glowing reviews to the contrary. Now there is this one but may be too small around the leg. AHHHhhhhh

But what the hell, it is only 35 bucks. I wear a size 48 Lake shoe so the biggest size sounds right.

CB of the East
    Nevermind - Which one of youze guys bought them out from under me.
    Anyone commuting in the rain, on purpose?-capture.png

mtbr member
    Bedwards I measured my vaude capital plus shoecovers, they are 30cm/11.8" high on the backside at the velcro closure. Not as high as the long gaitor but higher as most usual shoecovers that go just above the ankle.

Maybe those are an alternative for you? The 47-49 fit around my 47 shimano shoe and also around my 46 hanwag tatra hiking boots.

CB of the East
    I think I'll wait until the long ones are back in stock and try those. I'm in no hurry because all the rain is frozen now.

Born With A Tail
    We are born wet and spend the rest of our lives trying to stay dry. Fenders. I am fortunate to have a locker with work clothes as well as laundry facilities, so my stuff is dry for at least the beginning of the ride home.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't currently have a pair of boots with a webbed tongue, i recently moved on from a Chelsea-style boot, so that's my only issue atm (despite an extension flap on my front fender).

psycho cyclo addict
    With all the rain in the US mid Atlantic region this year, I got frustrated enough to intentionally bike commute (35+ mi round trip) in the rain a couple of times.

It was not pleasurable. If there is light rain in the forecast, I might consider it again but otherwise, no thanks.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Curious what the OP has done over the past two weeks. Any changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will rarely ride to work in the rain(I have been caught a few times in the rain part way to work), but I have ridden home lots in the rain
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad