Anybody else commuting in 100+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anybody else commuting in 100+

For about the 10th day this month it's topped 100. Yesterday at 104 I suffered a brutal headache after my commute home, about 40 minutes. I hydrated all day. It was the 1st time I wore a full brim cotton hat.
    Coincidence or result of the ride?
    What are the rest of you guys doing to mitigate the heat.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It has been 100+ since this weekend. I'm not sure I'm going to ride in, especially if it is a "spare the air" day. Just too much smog. I get crazy headaches when the air is bad, too. Nothing to do with hydrating.

mtbr member
    I pussed out on riding in today. I can deal with wind, I can deal with heat, but kiss my ass 100 degree days and 15 mph winds.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

same here!

yesterday came home with a headache. 7 miles in 104 deg . Today did not feel as bad but its taking me a little to cool off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Commuted a fair number of days in our summer over 100F (we had a new record heatwave this january).

I just looked after myself by keeping hydrated and not going too hard, worked ok for me. Luckily we don't have heaps of pollution here and the air is pretty dry, making it easier to deal with... Would sometimes have a shower when I got home too cool off.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Had three consecutive days last week at 96-98 (107-114 heat index). I did my 12 mile commute 6 times - 3 times in the extreme heat.

I didn't try to hold 20mph - kept it down around 15-17
    Watered my head about every couple miles or so
    I tied a wet rag to the bars and wiped my arms down a couple times - though that rag might dry out in Texas heat. It was way humid here in Chicago.

It was 57 degrees for my ride this morning, with an expected high temp of 65 today with rain. Yesterday was the same... gotta love Midwest weather.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I live where we average 125 days of 100 plus temps per year. So yes I do commute in it. I tend to drop the average speed down around 12 mph, and take to the dirt for 7 miles of the 10 that I commute. Dirt isn't near as hot as asphalt.
    But I don't commute on the days that are above 115. Averaging about 20 per year like that. But then there is never a snow day to worry about here.

In case you are wondering where does it stay that hot so much of the year? Bullhead City, AZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's not the heat it's the humidity!
    I don't really mind. It very rarely gets over 100 here. 90's are pretty common. It gets very humid here though. When I visited Texas over 100 degrees didn't feel bad at all compared to 90's with 100% humidity in WI.

smell the saddle...
    How is everyone handling the heat & humidity in the morning? I have no showers here at work, so the last few times I commuted I couldn't stop sweating and by the time I changed I sweat those clothes up too. Usually I take as shower just before then change into fresh clothes afterwards. But here in south Louisiana the muggy humidity is 100% in the morning and the heat has been above record in the evenings. So I've reverted back to driving the coffin until the fall... unless someone has an idea I hadn't thought about?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sew ice packs into a vest? Personal mister full of ice water?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live in Baltimore, Maryland pretty close to the water. Temperature-wise, it's been in the mid-to-high 80's so that's been rather nice. The humidity on the other hand, seems quite above-average for the region.

To deal with the mourning humidity, I went out and bought a box of "adult size" baby wipes to clean myself off after a ride. Fortunately, there's a big hill I ride down before I go on base which really dries my front side up.

responsible zombie owner
    "How is everyone handling the heat & humidity in the morning? I have no showers here at work, so the last few times I commuted I couldn't stop sweating and by the time I changed I sweat those clothes up too."

I work in Qatar in the Arabian Gulf so we have roasting desert summers. Right now it hits 100F by 7.20am. I commute year-round and discovered that wearing a T-shirt under my work clothes does the trick of preventing me sweating all the way through my work gear. ie my T-shirt gets wet but that's it. It also keeps direct heat off your skin so you actually feel cooler than just cycling in a shirt.

When I cycled in my work shirt with no layer underneath I would soak it right through and changing made no difference because I had the exact same experience of immediately soaking the fresh clothes as well!

I freshen up at work by washing my face and neck, sometimes use a mist spray and babywipes too.

tch
    mtbr member
    I've had a couple 100+ rides this summer. Last Thursday my 20 mile ride home was rough. Normally, I get a tail wind, but for some reason the hair dryer was blowing directly in my face the whole way. Add to that the 1000ft elevation gain and it wasn't the most enjoyable ride - but I still made it home in 70 mins. Loved me a cold shower. I haven't skipped a ride because of heat yet, but I'm not opposed to it either . . .

Dec 2007
    Most of this month it has been above the century mark. 104 Thursday with a heat index of 109.

Though I am completely bald, I tend to overheat when I wear a hat. I can, however, wear a helmet as long as it has good ventilation and I keep moving. I don't suffer from the heat as long as I keep moving. (I only have one traffic light in my 6.5 mile commute to deal with so keeping the airflow going is not really a problem...there is a long hill on the way home and I sometimes feel like I'll boil over as the breeze is usualy at my back...I have to pick up the pace at the top to increase airflow) Hydration is key...I drink a lot of water all day long and usually down a glass of water before getting on the bike...I drink another glass or two of ice water or tea as soon as I get home even if I'm not thirsty. I don't often drink during the ride but I will sometimes dowse myself with some water. BTW, I take a shorty cotton sock and put it over my water bottle and wet it. Evaporation will keep the water in the bottle several degrees cooler than it would be otherwise.

As for headaches?... I wish I had an answer. I've had them all my life no matter what I do. Three or four a week...I just deal with it. (I do believe that headaches can be a result of dehydration and heat)

Mikey

Forgot to mention that we had a "cold front" come through yesterday and droped the tempts all the way down to the upper 90's...it actually felt pretty good.
    Last edited by MikeyLikesIt; 07-18-2009 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

sorry guys, im out!

its been around 113-115 deg. here in phoenix, i'll start commuting again once it "cools down" to the lower 100's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cooling scarf, kind of like one of these, only my sister made if for me: cooling bandana scarf

Its the kind you soak in water, and it has silicon polymer water crystal that soak up water and make a gel, then when you wear it you have evaporative cooling around your neck and base of your skull. Its truly amazing how much this helps.

The high tech fabrics used in clothes like Under Armor heat gear works really well too.

But honestly, I don't even ride my motorcycle to work in weather like this, let alone bicycle. I would if I could take a shower immediatly there (cold water only).... maybe. But its not worth becoming a heat causalty from heat cramps, heat exhaustion, or even stroke. I don't even get any cooling from my perforated motorcycle leathers in this weather.... so I'd rather burn the extra fuel and have A/C on my commute.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    7th day in a row of 100+

I am not riding.

mtbr member
    I commute here at around 110-115* throughout the summer. I've got a 10 mile ride. I stop and take a slight break/water refill at the LBS which is right in the middle. I've been able to keep it about 18-20 mph the whole way. The heat isn't as bad as the usual 20-25mph winds I ride into almost every afternoon. It's terrible, darn tx plains

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    I live in New Mexico. Although not as hot but in the high 90's. I have a few things I do to keep cool in our dry heat.
    I put my jersey and hat under the sink and put on wet when I leave from work. Gets me about 8 miles before it driess out. I go 15 each way. Personalized swamp cooler

When I get to the office in the morning I fill my water jug 1/2 way and put it in the freezer. When I leave I fill the rest up. You can even put NUNNS in if you like and freeze it up. That will get me about 10 miles of cold water on the way home. Tasty with NUNNS

I can carry 2 frozen bottles and dump one over my head when it melts on long rides.

I noticed some sun block will let your sweat bead up on your arms and some allows it to dry. I think it has to do with the oil content. I get mine from Target and it's their house brand. I'm a lot cooler if I can evaporate
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    Today was my first ride to and from work, and it was over 100 on the way home. It was very hot, but doable, I just took my time, and stayed very hydrated all day, and on the ride home. Btw, 9.4 miles each way, in 40 minutes.

Members who have read this thread: 0