any of u guys use Specialized Armadillo's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

any of u guys use Specialized Armadillo's?

i'm wondering if u guys use/like these tires: Specialized Armadillo.

i'm looking at getting the 26x1.5" Armadillo Nimbus tire

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=42105

I will use it for mostly paved riding/exercising on my Rockhopper, is there anything better for ~$30 or less?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Great puncture resistance, good lifespan, way heavy. Might save time on repairing flats, but you'll loose it dragging the extra weight around.
    One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

jrm
    mtbr member

Overkill & heavy

try the WTB terrainasuarus or the panaracer tserv. Both roll really well and are sturdy tires.

Drunken fool
    I run them on my commuter and have no complaints. If you are worried about the extra weight they add, just don't use them on your race bike. For a commuter tire they rock. When riding to work I'd rather not have to stop on the side of the road to repair a flat/flats, I just want to get there. For my commuter i'm into overkill and reliability and not weight. I run the armadillo Infinity and thorn proof tubes, and have never had a flat even along the goat head infested sections of MUT I use. I had the Nimbus also and wore them out. It was a good tire I just wanted a little more tread for some of the dirt sections i take.

Forgot to mention these tires were of the 700cc size on my roadie and not a mtb bike.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    i'm thinking of getting the 1.5" Armadillo Nimbus Tire on my rockhopper. are they bad for wet/hard dirt riding?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    I used those for a wile on my commuter hard tail, got one flat in 2 months, but they are heavy and ugly as sin, the red side wall turns pink in a few months and looks like crap...I replaced them with some Geax Tattoo 2.35s have never looked back, they are large volume, look awesome on the bike (they are the same size as a normal mountain bike tire) the grip is incredible, I find my self leaning the hell out of this tire at high speeds, the bike feels nimble and fast, and best of all, it rolls hella fast. They are the easiest tire I have ever done tubeless, they where cheap, I even ride them on packed dirt and makes for a super fast pump track bike. I now can ride home where and how I want to to, I find my self playing around on the commute because the tires instill confidence to try stuff, you ever done a 2 foot drop of a sidewalk wall with pannier's?. I have not had a flat in a year, ( have had punctures but stans took care of that) I run them at 55PSI and this seems to be perfect....they are similar to Hookworms but roll way better and are significantly lighter.......wow..that was a lot....sorry, this is just my fav tire. and yes I have used many Maxxis, IRC, Pana, Mich and Cont....but nothing even comes close to these bad boys.......they come in narrow and wide sizes and two colors oh and also if you must have a narrow tire try the Geax Street Runner, they are the cats miau, they are cheap and easy to make tubeless

http://www.geax.com/vedit/pagina.asp~pagina~1928
    Last edited by Saxon9598; 09-05-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    i'm wondering if u guys use/like these tires: Specialized Armadillo.

i'm looking at getting the 26x1.5" Armadillo Nimbus tire

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=42105

I will use it for mostly paved riding/exercising on my Rockhopper, is there anything better for ~$30 or less?
    I've used the regular (red side) Armadillos- not great tires, but maybe OK for commuting. The more expensive Armadillo Elites are great- super puncture resistant, not too heavy, and ride like a normal tire- cost more than $30 each, but have a long life.
    To the troll mobile, away...

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey
    Great puncture resistance, good lifespan, way heavy. Might save time on repairing flats, but you'll loose it dragging the extra weight around.
    I've looked at these tires, and they look like a great option. However, I wonder how to explain it to my LBS (Giant Dealer) ....LOL...

Seriously, they have a great reputation and may end up on my commuter this winter. Getting tired (no pun) of the cheap rubber and mediocre rims on my Sedona. Honestly if I were not a clyde the stock setup would be just fine.The ride is getting revamped with new heavy duty rims and puncture resistant tires. I seem to also remember some slicks with reflective sidewalls....an option for sure....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Members who have read this thread: 0