Any huge benefits to Sidi's on the platforms?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any huge benefits to Sidi's on the platforms?

Always been partial to platform pedals (and that's not likely to change unless I get a separate bike for just farting around the neighborhood). But wondering if it would make any sense at all to ride a stiffer shoe instead of my Chrome kicks for commuting with the platforms.

Anyone riding cleated-enabled shoes but without cleats?

ride the moment
    Clipless shoes don't work well on platforms. There's not enough rubber in contact with the pedal. The skate style shoes work much better.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    I use Wellgo "Campus" 2 sided pedals, flat one slide clipless the other. My feet won't take more than 20 miles in most shoes. The Sidis were a great relief. I can hop on in street shoes for a quick run to the store. Shimano makes them, too.

weirdo
    I think this is one of those serious YMMV things, but I use Shimano mtb shoes WITH Crank Bros cleats on quill pedals/clips and straps when I go out for a road ride. The one pair of skate shoes I tried wasn`t stiff enough for my taste. Since my current Shimano shoes are a little bit on the tight side, leaving no room for foot swell or an extra pair of socks, one of these days I`m going to buy another pair (one size bigger) and I won`t bother to put the cleats on. I`ve also read a suggestion for bowling shoes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I think this is one of those serious YMMV things, ...Since my current Shimano shoes are a little bit on the tight side, leaving no room for foot swell or an extra pair of socks, one of these days I`m going to buy another pair (one size bigger) ....
    +1 on YMMV foot anatomy is highly individual.

I love the 'on the bike' easy adjustment to ease the tightness of the Sidis as the feet swell during a ride and with booties and extra socks I can ride them down to about freezing. Their breathability that makes them great at 100* F works against them in the cold. I need the hard sole as I have hyper-extendible joints in my feet. But I''ve never ridden the flat side of the pedals with them more than a few tens of feet from a stop and launch. Even if I had, my weird feet wouldn't be a good indicator for anyone else. Though expensive, the Sidis have been worth every cent for me.

Moderator Moderator
    If you're talking about flat pedals with the gripper pins, consider some five-tens for max grip and more stiffness than skate shoes. Sidis or others with lug type soles will skitter around on the pins. I use these, but there are lowtops too..some are a little LOUD but basic black is available too
    http://fiveten.com/products/product-.../Freeride_m23/
    Attached Images Attached Images   

weirdo
    If you use BIG platforms like Mtbxplorer posted, I doubt the shoes will make much difference. I have those on my commuter and usualy on the mtb and wear whatever I please. The platform is so supporting that "it`s all good".

mtbr member
    Really hard soled clipless shoes like Sidis would be terrible on platform pedals (unless you're running toe cages, but still not ideal). The stiffness would be nice, but the hard platic lugs would not grip the pedal at all.

Look for something like this:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...ng-shoes-23528

Or this

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...=1277218701550

Both have a complete rubber sole with a section you can rip/cut out if you ever want to run clipless. I have the Exustar ones, and they work great with platform or clipless pedals and have totally adequate stiffness for even a longer commute. The shoes with the cut-out section will be much better than something like the Sidis, or even the Lake shoes where there is a hard plastic insert if you don't run clipless.

All rubber = better grip/comfort on platform pedals.

The 510 shoes are really nice. I had the original impacts for a while. I ended up ditching them because I thought they were too fugly to get any use. But the new models are pretty nice.

https://fiveten.com/products/footwea...der-black-grey

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    If you use BIG platforms like Mtbxplorer posted, I doubt the shoes will make much difference. I have those on my commuter and usualy on the mtb and wear whatever I please. The platform is so supporting that "it`s all good".
    I have tried riding my clipless shoes on a large set of redline platforms attached to my commuter. I used this set-up several times to haul my SS MTB out to the trails. The problem for me was that the large lugs on the bottom of the clipless shoes are what contacts the pedal, resulting in only a few contact points as many of the lugs are over the open space in the center of the pedal. Furthermore, the grip of the pins is thrown out the window if your lugs happen to contact the smooth metal. I'm sure there is a shoe/pedal combo that minimizes these problems, but my platforms feel better in a pair of cushy-soled running shoes (or cowboy boots for that matter) than my Answers. My Adidas Sambas are the best shoes I own for riding the platforms.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Awesome. Really digging the Exustar and the subdued 510's. (The breathable mesh types will get my vote though) Thanks guys for all the feedback and advice.

Those 2-sided deals are definitely worth looking into, but now that has me wondering if combo pedals like Shimano (PD-M424 or 647) or Crank Bros (Acid, Mallet) somewhat ride-able with normal shoes for short periods of time. Longer rides could then get the clipped-in treatment. A best of both worlds setup where I could wear any kind of shoe and I don't have to flip the pedal over much sounds like it would be nice.

Oh, and just another thought would be to get some Superfeet insoles to replace the ones in the Chrome kicks.

Last edited by Ronin Six; 06-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I bought some Pearl Izumi MTB shoes back in 2007 with the idea on getting clipless pedals someday. No problem with platform pedals. I did buy some Egg beaters for my 'cross bike, but sold it with those pedals. Now I back to platforms on my 29er. Plenty of grip with the shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0