Any 29er slick tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any 29er slick tires?

Looking for road tires for a 29er with Mavic 719 wheels.

Any options out there?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Lots of options. Any road tire, 28mm or bigger.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Does something like this in size 32 look good for mostly road?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc..._#ReviewHeader

Fat-tired Roadie
    It won't roll as well as a true slick, but it would probably be more forgiving if you go off-road. What're you looking for from this setup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    It won't roll as well as a true slick, but it would probably be more forgiving if you go off-road. What're you looking for from this setup?
    Look for tires for the NYC 5-boro tour. A long 50 mile road ride going through the 5 boros of NY.

This any better?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_229039_-1___

Fat-tired Roadie
    That would work pretty well. I'm sorry I never did that tour when I lived in New York - it sounds like a lot of fun. If it's anything like the big group rides where I live now, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping up on your mountain bike.

AZ
    banned
    Have a look at this Michelin , Nashbar tires are not known for being particularly round .

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200524

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Have a look at this Michelin , Nashbar tires are not known for being particularly round .

I am using these on my commute-errand bike in 700C-35 mm size which fit with fenders. It was converted from 27" I haven't a ton of miles on them yet, but I moved them to the other bike until the spring rains cleared the roads of glass and on some rough frost damaged pavement. They begin a commute on Tuesday. I am pleased with them but they are my first tire over 32 mm since my old coaster bike (1 3/4"). I am surprised how well they corner. I have plucked pieces of glass off them that hadn't managed to do anything more than stick. I need a couple of thousand more miles to really know, but this looks like a very good choice so far.

mtbr member

Over 900g. Even for 29 isnt that a lot?

Curious how they would roll.

Frt Range, CO
    If there's a Performance Bike in your area, I'd look at the Forté Metro-K Road Tires:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1511000_400237

Only $15, weigh 460gms, kevlar flat protection, 700Cx35mm will be ~33mm on Mavic 319/719rims. Buy them on Tues between 12noon~2pm and save another 10%. They mount straight and ride nice, esp for the price.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Over 900g. Even for 29 isnt that a lot?

Curious how they would roll.

Yep , they are heavy but tough and roll nice .

Ovaries on the Outside
    Big Apples for riding in the Big Apple.

mtbr member
    I'm torn between the Forté Metro-K Road Tires and the Michelin City Road Tire.

mtbr member
    Yep , they are heavy but tough and roll nice .
    Doesn't 47 seem pretty wide?

I don't know anything about road tire width and dimensions.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't know anything about road tire width and dimensions.
    A racing/training clincher tends to run about 23mm, but there are a few as narrow as 20mm and some get up to 28mm before changing model. There's a rule of thumb that tire widths should be from 1.45 to 2 times the width of the bead seat in the rim. So for a 19mm tire, that would be anywhere from 28mm to 38mm. Obviously mountain bikers run proportionally much fatter tires, but at road speeds that can be a little unstable in a corner.

Narrower tires have much lower air resistance. Rolling resistance is arguable, but I think it's lower too. If I had a set of road wheels for my mountain bike, I'd probably go with the same 23mm tires I use on my road bike.

All bike tire sizes are described by two numbers. A tire marked 622-23 would be a tire for a 622mm bead seat diameter, which is a 700C or 29er wheel, with a 23mm width.

mtbr member
    Check out the Specialized Burrough. I think it comes stock on their Crossroads.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=AndrwSwitch] Narrower tires have much lower air resistance. Rolling resistance is arguable, but I think it's lower too. If I had a set of road wheels for my mountain bike, I'd probably go with the same 23mm tires I use on my road bike.QUOTE]

Beyond what the rim best fits is tire use and payload (mostly rider even on loaded touring bikes). www.rivbike.com has a rule of thumb type of table with suggested tire sizes for different uses and payloads. If I had nice smooth pavement I might go 25 or even 23 mm. My best is sort of smooth and 28 is more comfortable. The rougher sealcoat roads in spring are much nicer to ride on 35's but the wind effect and extra mass on the wheels are quite noticeable. Highly personal, and it will change as you age. So YMMV. You take a best guess and go from how you like that selection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would caution against going to too narrow of a tire if you're primarily an MTB rider. I run 700x35 tires (WTB All Terrainasaurus) my touring bike because anything narrower starts to feel sketchy. I used to run narrower slicks, but as my mtb tires got fatter and as I started riding less and less on the road bike, it was just too big of a change. Plus, I like to be able to hit bits of singletrack if I come across them on my road rides.

Your 29er is not going to be as fast as a road bike anyway, so you may as well maintain some of the comfort and control you get with a little wider tire. I also don't think you need to go full-on slick for the urban riding you're planning on doing. My cross tires roll pretty good on pavement, but still give the traction you may want for some of the rougher urban conditions you may encounter. That Nashbar tire will probably be fine.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    The WTB Slickasaurus seems like the best compromise. Priced very cheap at $10. Any one use it?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Catalo...m=slickasaurus

Frt Range, CO
    I'm torn between the Forté Metro-K Road Tires and the Michelin City Road Tire.
    I just pulled some Michelin City 35mm off my commuter and replaced 'em with the Metro-Ks. Metro-K is much more responsive, 200gms per tire lighter, cheaper too. No comparision, the Citys feel like they're filled with water. Be sure to get the Metro-K, not the regular Metro, they look the same and the clerks don't know any better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Big Apples for riding in the Big Apple.

+1

I love mine

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you, Dictatorsaurus, for starting this thread. I, too, am looking for a 700c/29er tire for the 5 Boro Bike Tour, folding bead, preferably tubeless (Stan's) capable and easy to mount.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. I went with the WTB Slickasaurus 37. They were the right width and weight. They got some good reviews and people say they roll pretty fast.

AZ
    banned
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. I went with the WTB Slickasaurus 37. They were the right width and weight. They got some good reviews and people say they roll pretty fast.

Follow up review ?

Bedwards Of The West
    Late to the party, but I used Schwalbe Kojaks one year for the commuter... 700x35, everything you'd want in a slick. They held up good for about 2000 miles, then I started getting flats...it's hard to tell how worn a slick is until you pull it off and realize how thin it's gotten

The 35-37 width is pretty ideal for the commute in my opinion...really fast rolling, but just enough kush. (and still room for fenders on my 'cross bike).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Follow up review ?
    Will do if I can manage to get a ticket for the NYC 5 Boro tour. It sold out early and now people are asking over $100 a ticket for an event which sold for $60 initially. People trying to make profit out of a charity event. What a shame.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you can't get a ticket for face, just pirate the ride.

Arr.

mtbr member
    If you can't get a ticket for face, just pirate the ride.

Arr.
    Anyone without a vest gets pulled out of the tour.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ that's when the tour becomes a race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple Liteskins.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    I got the Slickasaurus tires and installed them. They are light and super fast.

I wish I went with the Michelins AZ recommended though since they are wider and higher volume for more cushion. Oh well...

The bike went from an off-road rider to a slim ballet dancer look.

Here's a pic with the slicks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wish I went with the Michelins AZ recommended though since they are wider and higher volume for more cushion. Oh well...
    You can mess with the pressure in road tires too. Try running them a little softer. Those tires are already bigger than the ones that go on my 'cross bike for racing.

I only put 80 and 95 pounds in my 23mm tires on my road bike. I'm not a big guy, so I get away with it. But the sidewall pressure on a slick is often a lot higher than it needs to be, especially with the wide rims on that bike. There are all sorts of articles about how much a tire should deform under load, etc., but I think there should be a pretty large range of pressures that don't transmit so much road buzz but don't wallow in turns or pinch flat either, so just take the pressure out a little at a time until you're happy or you start getting nervous about flats.

AZ
    banned
    You can mess with the pressure in road tires too. Try running them a little softer. Those tires are already bigger than the ones that go on my 'cross bike for racing.

I only put 80 and 95 pounds in my 23mm tires on my road bike. I'm not a big guy, so I get away with it. But the sidewall pressure on a slick is often a lot higher than it needs to be, especially with the wide rims on that bike. There are all sorts of articles about how much a tire should deform under load, etc., but I think there should be a pretty large range of pressures that don't transmit so much road buzz but don't wallow in turns or pinch flat either, so just take the pressure out a little at a time until you're happy or you start getting nervous about flats.

X2 , this is good advice . Running lower pressures can actually make them roll faster too .

Bedwards Of The West
    I love that Sette with the slicks. Saw your pics in the 29er forum...more temptation to turn the Access into an urban warrior when I do another mountian bike project. Very cool.

I actually have two wheelsets now, and I'm thinking about setting one up with something like the slickasaurus...maybe big apples or marathons. I'm inspired.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Love the Big Apples!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can get away with 40-45psi in a 700x35. I weigh 165
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    The Slickarsaurus is rated between 50-80 psi. Too harsh at 80 psi. Will lowering to 50 make a significant difference making it a softer ride? Should I worry about the rims at such for with slick tires?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Real men don't read the manual.

Lowering it to 50 will make a lot of difference. If you're a smaller guy, you may actually be happier with them below 50. I'm not sure what the rating is for my 'cross tires, but they're a little smaller than your new slicks and I keep them at 37 and 45 - much mellower ride, and I haven't had problems with pinch flats or rim damage. It's totally a "season to taste" thing, so your numbers are going to be different and probably higher for road riding.

mtbr member
    Real men don't read the manual.

Lowering it to 50 will make a lot of difference. If you're a smaller guy, you may actually be happier with them below 50. I'm not sure what the rating is for my 'cross tires, but they're a little smaller than your new slicks and I keep them at 37 and 45 - much mellower ride, and I haven't had problems with pinch flats or rim damage. It's totally a "season to taste" thing, so your numbers are going to be different and probably higher for road riding.
    Cool thanks. I'm 195lbs geared up so I'll lower to 50 psi and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Rode the 5 Boro tour with the Slickasaurus tires. I like them a lot. For $10 a pop they are a great bargain. Very fast and traction is very good.

I think a higher volume tire like the Michelin City tire would have been a bit more comfortable, but the Slickasaurus is a great tire. Highly recommended for commuting and road tours.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    If there's a Performance Bike in your area, I'd look at the Forté Metro-K Road Tires:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1511000_400237

Only $15, weigh 460gms, kevlar flat protection, 700Cx35mm will be ~33mm on Mavic 319/719rims. Buy them on Tues between 12noon~2pm and save another 10%. They mount straight and ride nice, esp for the price.
    Picked up a set of these a few days ago at the store in Portland. For $15 I'm pretty impressed. I was running a set of Kenda Kontender 700x26 which rolled like butter at 125 psi, but I just moved and there is a ridiculous amount of glass around my new place. After several flats (3 in a 24 hour period) I decided it was time for more protection. So far so good. They feel thicker and the ride is a little plusher but obviously slower. They do roll well for being so fat.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by springrubber
    +1

I love mine
    +1... only way to go is the Big Apple as long as you have the clearence.

You'll get used to the weight. The rolling resistance is about the same as a 38.

mtbr member
    I put these on my mavic 719s the other day
    https://www.rei.com/product/793100
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0