mtbr member
    Nov 2015

New question here. Another tire thread

I am using a converted early 90s Giant hardtail as a commuter.
    I am in the city so I am dealing with potholes and the occasional spots of loose grave on a 4 mile trip each way so I am looking for something around the 1.75 tire width that is a good balance of speed and comfort.

My leading contender right now is the Continental City Ride.
    Can anyone offer any other suggestions in the sub $40 per tire price range?

CB of the East
    Another tire thread where the Big Apple will be recommended. It's wider than you want but rolls smooth, has huge volume to soak up pot holes, has puncture protection and gets a 4.6 star rating on Amazon. About $40 each.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have the City Ride tires on two of my bikes and I really like them, SS mtb converted to commuter and a CX bike also set up as a commuter. LBS has them at $29 a piece I believe it is.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    I really like my conti speedrides in 1.6". I got those quite cheap too here in europe, 40Euros for the set and.shipping. Dont know about prices in the US though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    These Speedrides?
    continental bicycle Speed RIDE

i currently have the 1.95 Kenda Cross which the speedrides seem comparable to. The Kendas were fine but a little slow when the knobs made contact on even gradual turns. They were decent performers in winter when I had to deal with slush but with warmer weather I want something better suited for the city streets and hazards.
    Another tire thread-kenda_cross_plus_tyre_closeup.jpg

The pic is from google images. Mine are worn so they are much more slick

mtbr member
    Hi L2, yes those are the ones I ride in summer. In the mild winter overhere I have the conti wintercontact.

Note that the speedrides are 41mm on my 19mm inner width rim. That gives you less comfort than 1.75 or even 1.9 which is 47 / 50mm. They have a puncture protection but I use an additional tire liner for protection. So I dont know how good they would be without a liner.

In general I am pretty happy with all the conti tire I have. Tenspeeds recommendation looks good too, the town/city ride both are available in 47mm!

If you want to go modern and safe, try the schwalbe almotion in tubeless. Just dont know if they are within your price limits.

mtbr member
    ^^Ooops are you actually looking for a 26 or 28 tire? In case of 26" forget everything I said....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    ^^Ooops are you actually looking for a 26 or 28 tire? In case of 26" forget everything I said....
    OK maybe not to be taken literally

Some of the mentioned conti models are available in 26" as well, and schwalbe has a lot of 26" touring tires too.

Personally I would try the marathon cross but the 622 model is too narrow for me. The 559 is available in 47mm, would that be something for you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm using Kenda Kwick 445's in 26X1.7 @50psi. Similar to the Kenda Cross pictured above, but with a bit more aggressive tread in the center. I haven't noticed the lugs hitting pavement when I corner. I don't believe they have puncture protection, but I ran over a piece of barbed wire in the street today, no punctures. Maybe I got lucky?
    They do have a nice ride and go around 20 per. They hold up quite well and have good traction in the rain.
    These may not be to your liking as they are a bit noisy with the v bars in the center. Still a smooth ride tho.
    I also have 1.5 miles of washboard gravel before I hit pavement, so they're a good choice FOR ME.
    If you're willing to go 1.5, you just can't beat the Nashbar Streetwise belted. Durable and CHEAP. IIRC they're available in a 700 as well
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!