Another superfluous light. Tail light + turn signals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Another superfluous light. Tail light + turn signals

In my quest to have absolutely too many lights on my bike, I ran across this.

https://www.50cycles.com/spooklight.php#page=page-1

The Spook light. Looks pretty crappy over all, but I haven't seen anything like it. Wireless left, right, hazard bar controls, accelerometer brake light activation.

Might have to spring for it just to give it a try.

mtbr member
    I'd estimate maybe half of the drivers here use turn signals for any turn. One stopped for a left into their driveway right in front of an officer and he drove on. No warning ticket or talking to? Of course the officers are among the worst offenders. I assume their arms are tired from handling the microphone and coffee/donuts. Half of the remainder for some turns if they remember or they think it warrants one, the rest religiously unless they forget.

Hand signals are no longer part of the writen exam for a license here though they are in the book you read to write that exam. Maybe 90% don't know the crooked left arm signal for right or stop. Some don't understand the obviuos body language pointing straight left or right wih those arms. (What else could that mean? Here's your sign!) I have enough trouble getting them to see me with LOTS of lights. Not sure this would be worth is weight and cost. Be nice if it had an effect. Skeptic awaiting conversion, I guess.

weirdo
    Not the same thing, but most velomobiles (streamlined pedal powered "cars") have at least a factory option for electric turn signals. It makes sense there since the operator`s hands are completely or partially tucked inside the shell. That one pictured above looks like it`s bound for Walmart. I wonder if any of them actually sell.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    I would be concerned that drivers would just think it was a flashing light, not a turn signal, especially at night.

Coincidentally, I ran across this yesterday, it is just a "concept" at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I would be concerned that drivers would just think it was a flashing light, not a turn signal, especially at night.

Coincidentally, I ran across this yesterday, it is just a "concept" at this point.
    Oh, I loathe that backpack already.

While most drivers don't use signals and probably don't get my hand signals, I'd love one of those light set ups. Assuming, of course, everything was easy to use, durable, efficient and somewhat inexpensive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Oh, I loathe that backpack already.

While most drivers don't use signals and probably don't get my hand signals, I'd love one of those light set ups. Assuming, of course, everything was easy to use, durable, efficient and somewhat inexpensive.
    Just guessing from their crappy website, but to answer your questions, yes, doesn't look like it, maybe, and no.

mtbr member
    Now if instead of a hot heavy backpack, it was a dayglo green-yellow safety vest or jersey and you could program it for other messages to scroll, that could be fun.

Let's see (Keeping the bad words out of it...

'DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT'

'ARE YOU TRYING TO BE ON YOUTUBE?'

'SMILE! YOU'RE ON MY VIDEO CAMERA!'

'BACK OFF NOW'

'TOO SLOW? MY OTHER BIKE IS STATIONARY'

'THE BISHOP BLESSED MY BIKE. NOW I'M A HOLY ROLLER!

'WHEN IT GROWS UP IT WANTS TO BE A NISSAN LEAF'

'IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU"RE LIKELY TOO CLOSE OR USING BINOCULARS YOU DIRTY OLD MAN'

'DOES THIS SADDLE MAKE ME LOOK FAT?'

'BACK OFF NOW! SNOT ROCKET LAUNCH IMMINENT 10...9...'

To bad it would be as distracting as texting even with preselected buttons.

New excuses:

"But Officer It was an Arrow, how was I to know she was turning left?"

Or

"How was I to know that she really meant 'Stop'?"

"She was using the drops so I couldn't read the red letters."

Members who have read this thread: 0