Another Bikecommuter Hero- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Another Bikecommuter Hero

Racette said he was bicycling home from his part-time job in the meat department at a Rainbow Foods grocery store when he spotted the SUV and ran down to the pond. He said he had bought the Chex Mix on sale that morning.

Read more: 'Hero' cyclist finds woman trapped in car in pond - SFGate

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Awesome! I carry an emergency blanket and some food with me on my rides too in case I find someone becoming a little hypothermic. I've had to use the emergency blanket once or twice for other people, sometimes those "Little Hottie" hand warmers as well...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice, Hunter. Clearly you are a hero in waiting. I carry a small first aid kit, but so far have only used it for officemates' mundane injuries. I am a bigger fan of antibiotic ointment ever since someone I know lost a foot to a MRSA infection after a scrape.

Moderator Moderator
    The Hero says he never worked that shift before, and only saw the car because he had to ride on other side due to snow/ice...
    Cyclist veers off usual path home, finds car submerged in pond | KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Paso Robles

mtbr member
    I once had a lady walking toward me on the sidewalk, keel over. She was non responsive. I began CPR using my rusty skills. Adrenalin is a great memory enhancer! A female nurse stopped her car and said I was doing fine and asked how I wanted to do this as a pair. I gave her the heart massage part seeing as the woman was dressed very proper like The Queen and was about seventy. I said the shock would be less if a 21 year old male was not working her heart if she regained consciousness. Kissing her would be stress enough! Ambulance came. No idea who called it in. No cell phones then. They took over. She was transported. I never got her name or knew her outcome. I met no on else on that 2 mile walk that day. This was before AIDS and other concerns where my name and particulars would have been taken. She was not news worthy, either. So no way to trace that. She was lucky to have received prompt CPR, but if it was an aneurysm, she was likely gone before she hit the grass. I figure that balances against some of my Italian salutes.

Anyway, luck is a strange thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    18 hours.. I'm shocked she survived in those conditions, and without food or water. Although I'm surprised nobody would have at least seen the tire marks or broken fence sooner.

Oh well, at least some one was able to help her, and good on you Brian.

Members who have read this thread: 0