Ankle Pain!!!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ankle Pain!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ankle Pain!!!!!

Hey, so Iím back to biking for the past 2 days after all winter not riding my bike, Iím getting pain in my ankle, last session I had it was well, with my last job the ride was 10min, but now to my new job itís about 50min ride, but agen I had the same pain last session, but now itís more I guess because itís a longer ride, now itís to the point where Iím walking Iím getting the pain as well, I know Itís from biking because it started after my 1st 2 rides for the session. I use Shimano PD-M647 Pedals with Shimano MT41Shoes,
    Help, Thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Could be a lot of things: improper cleat position, making the shoes too tight, poor fit of the bike. You might have a shop check out your fit and adjust if necessary.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    time for a visit to podiatrist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

That's it????

That's it???? Is there some thing I can do about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB
    That's it???? Is there some thing I can do about it.
    Gee, dude, I suggested having your fit checked, so you could start there. And if it's goofy, they can adjust and that might fix it. Or you could try one of those doctor types as opposed to the internet.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB
    Hey, so Iím back to biking for the past 2 days after all winter not riding my bike, Iím getting pain in my ankle, last session I had it was well, with my last job the ride was 10min, but now to my new job itís about 50min ride, but agen I had the same pain last session, but now itís more I guess because itís a longer ride, now itís to the point where Iím walking Iím getting the pain as well, I know Itís from biking because it started after my 1st 2 rides for the session. I use Shimano PD-M647 Pedals with Shimano MT41Shoes,
    Help, Thanks!!!!!

So you didn't have this pain and then last year it started up right.

Now its back.

So what changed shoes pedals seat...

Ah check your seat height may be it slipped down a bit.

Moderator Moderator
    Use RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation. Ice on/off every 15 mins, wrap if it seems to be swelling (not crazy tight), put your foot up, and try to take it easy.

If you have any flat pedals, you could try those. If it seems to hurt less, that could point to cleat problems. If it still hurts, you may just have overdone it all of a sudden.

Once a little better, strengthen the ankles with exercises like lowering your heels of stairs (hold on), resistance exercises with that stretchy tubing, etc

An ankle brace from the drugstore, or taping with athletic tape (vids on youtube for best method) may help, but it depends what is wrong.

Does it feel like a sprain or something else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes I did have the same pain last session & I did not change the seat height at all since last session of riding, nothing changed, what im thinking is, is there a way you need to pedal when using clip in pedales, like moves that are not good to do, or if im pedaling correct, or not???
    Thanks for the help & the options.

Moderator Moderator
    Is it just 1 ankle?? If so, is it the one you unclip more, say when you put a foot down at a light? Check if the release tension is set at the minimum, shimano has all the instructions on line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Go to flat pedals. Used to ride clipless for years until I broke my ankle. Now the calf muscle can't take the localized pressure of clipless. Learned to enjoy going back to basics.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer

If you have any flat pedals, you could try those. If it seems to hurt less, that could point to cleat problems. If it still hurts, you may just have overdone it all of a sudden.
    Sounds like a winner to me. It`ll tell you whether or not your cleats are the problem and you can go from there after the experiment.

Members who have read this thread: 2