• 04-12-2012
    gregnash
    Ankle injury and commuting?
    So wondering if anyone has done this? I play coed softball and we had our first game on tuesday. Did fine during the game but night my ankle kept clicking with every step (I knew this was a bad sign). Anyways, next morning I could not put more than 30% weight on it. I can put about 80% on it today but still a bit sore and tender.

Has anyone tried pedaling with an ankle sprain? I have played with it and the motion does not seem to bother me but wondering if the addition of the motion AND slight weight barring will cause it to go nuts. Just sucks as it is supposed to rain the next few days, only one car, and the wife is giving me the car and she is riding her cruiser to work (only about a 12 minute walk really).
  • 04-12-2012
    jeffscott
    Move your cleat as far back as it will go (if you are riding cleats).
  • 04-12-2012
    CommuterBoy
    Or don't clip in at all and put the pedal way back on your foot, so your ankle isn't working to bear the weight. But no, I haven't dealt with an ankle injury and commuting... knee yes, ankle no.
  • 04-12-2012
    mtbxplorer
    I used flat pedals and a good ankle brace, but I still had to go easy for awhile. Unavoidable hills on my route meant I had to lay off the bike a few weeks. Some ice and ibuprofen would help too. For me pedaling was actually better than walking, as long as it wasn't a tough uphill or rough trail.
  • 04-12-2012
    bedwards1000
    I sprained my ankle 2 days into a camping (and biking for me) vacation in August. It wasn't diagnosed as sprained but was twice it's normal size and purple. Not wanting to give up my biking on vacation, I made a cast every morning with a layer of paper towel wrapped with layers of duct tape. That sprain was caused by waiting until just after the last second before un-clipping on a climb and crashing with my bike still attached. It effected my biking surprisingly little even though I couldn't really walk on it for the first day or so.

YMMV, I'm not a doctor and I don't even play on on TV.
  • 04-12-2012
    Icey101
    I just sprained mine a few weeks ago. A week later with a brace on I was riding, but scared to put that foot down. And I could only pedal while seated. I had no issues standing up, foot just didn't want to spin with that much weight on it.
  • 04-12-2012
    newfangled
    Last year I sprained my ankle on a ride home. The next morning I could put zero weight on it - couldn't climb into the shower or even put on a sock. I took a sick day, did the RICE thing, and loaded up on advil

And to my complete amazement I was able to ride to work the next day. I think I kept it wrapped in a tensor bandage for about a week, and probably kept taking advil for a few days, and I assume that I took my geared bike instead of the ss for that week.
  • 04-12-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    I've done it. Totally sucked. That's one of the only types of things that'll get me off the bike for a while.
  • 04-12-2012
    mtbxplorer
    Driving with my sprained ankle wasn't fun either. I had to drive from Cleveland to VT the next day, and even with a roll of tape and an ankle brace I had to hold may breath whenever I had to put down the clutch. Thank goodness for the NY Thruway.
  • 04-12-2012
    rodar y rodar
    Oh, no. No advice, Greg, but sorry to hear about it. Heal soon.
  • 04-13-2012
    can't get right
    Your first problem was that you were playing softball. Do people still do that?

Nagging pain blows but with 80% weight bearing capability you should be fine. Rub some dirt on it and tough it out.
  • 04-13-2012
    Shayne
    Try it!

I have no issues cycling with ankle injuries. Soccer, volleyball, and basketball usually have me loaded up with both ankle and knee sprains.
    To my delight following all my broken ankles and my surgically repared achilles tendon the doctors have recommend cycling as the best way to rehab it. I'm usually logging big miles (and even racing) before I'm back to walking normally.
  • 04-13-2012
    jrm
    Ah go see a doctor?
    otherwise its could become an overuse injury and the healing period will increase.