Ammo can rack box.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Ammo can rack box.

Well I'm slowly modifying my bike to be used for commuting to my college campus, and needed something better than using a backpack or a messenger bag. For me backpacks just get sweaty and don't allow me to move my neck as needed, and all I have is a small canvas messenger bag which slides around if I don't have it uncomfortably tight. So I thought this would be a good time to get panniers or a container for the rack. I don't believe I will be carrying enough for me to go and buy panniers. I also don't like the idea of a wider bike in city traffic, but I did have a .50cal ammo can taking up space that wasn't much wider than the topeak explorer disc rack I got a few days ago, and this is what I came up with-

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

Mounting hardware was just four 1/4th inch u-bolts that are bolted from the inside, two bolts each end.

" width="549">

The box had to be mounted close to the middle of the rack to allow the lid to have clearance to open up fully.

Just thought I'd show and see what people think.

mtbr member
    I had a similar setup years ago but then it evolved to a comparable size rubbermaid tool box for wieght concerns.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Nice! But aren't those ammo boxes pretty heavy? Do they have a latch for a lock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had thought about rubber maid boxes but I dont preffer plastic. It's not too heavy in the hand but I haven't had a chance to ride with the set up just yet but, I'm doing a ride tomorrow across the brooklyn and manhattan bridges as I have shopping to do in the city, so I'll get a good feel for it's weight and handling. They don't lock as of now but I plan to add a hasp for a padlock which I'm picking up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Very cool idea, I'm amazed how water tight ammo boxes are. A friends house was flooded with 8 ft of water. All of the ammo was still dry after about 24 hrs submerged. I was pretty impressed.

Members who have read this thread: 0