Alternate dog evasion method- Mtbr.com
    weirdo

Alternate dog evasion method

Happy Time in Thailand | The bicycle tourist deserves a reward at the end of a hard day
    Exerpt:

> As I spun my way over the last few kilometres to Phetchabun, the traffic started to become more built up, and with it the appearance of more houses and small workshops on the side of the road. Out of one mechanic’s workshop raced a mangy Thai dog, intent on having a piece of either me or my fixie. There are two standard techniques of avoiding a dog bite in Thailand, either jam on those pedals for all your worth and leave him behind, or stop suddenly and stare him down with the bike in between the two of you. On this occassion I decided to try a third technique – coax the bastard onto the road. I quickly looked over my shoulder and noticed a large truck coming up in the kerbside lane. By holding my speed constant I was able to keep the mutt just behind my back wheel, the clicking of his nails against the roadside beating out a steady rhythm. As the truck came nearer I darted across in front of it into the farside lane, eliciting a blast on the horn from the driver, shortly followed by the yelp of a dog going under the front wheels of a lorry. Darwin wins again. <

More good stuff in the blog, but not recomended for all audiences.

Bedwards Of The West
    I need to move somewhere with traffic.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    That is ****ing horrific. I get that the chasing dog is annoying, but willfully killing an animal for something so stupid is really sad.

I'm probably just a bleeding heart hippie though ...

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Yeah. Damn those dogs following their herding/hunting instincts.

mtbr member
    I am thinking about getting some kind of pepper spray mount for dogs, this thought came after the rottweiler mix chased me a couple days ago.

One Colorful Rider
    I feel sorry for the Dog. The dog is an Animal that will not know better unless trained by the owner.

If I see a dog coming my way, if it looks Viscous I will crank it will yelling No or Go Home..

I brake for Animals. People I'll Run Over, They should know better.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1 View Post
    I am thinking about getting some kind of pepper spray mount for dogs, this thought came after the rottweiler mix chased me a couple days ago.
    I`ve considered carrying spray in the past. But then I thought back to the time when I decided to try shooting a pistol wile riding a bike, and it occured to me that sprays wouldn`t be in my best interest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    light cavalry sword. It's also good for motorists with hand gestures and/or leaning out the window and shouting stuff.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^THAT. Is a heck of a first post
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^THAT. Is a heck of a first post
    thanks. lol unfortunately I can't legally carry a sword but I've always wanted to, so I hope to get a CCW soon.

Moderator Moderator
    I would not use a sword on a dog, but it would be fun to ride around in a swashbuckling manner with one on your back.

weirdo
    CCW? You want to carry a CONCEALED sword?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    CCW? You want to carry a CONCEALED sword?
    No, I don't want to carry a CONCEALED sword, I want carry it out in the open. What would be the point in CONCEALING it? A how would someone go about CONCEALING a 41" sword anyway?

CCW is a generic term that refers to carrying a CONCEALED weapon. I.E. a handgun, which is perfectly legal in my state with a permit to do so.

Members who have read this thread: 0