Alfine commuter wheels on sale at REI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Alfine commuter wheels on sale at REI

I'm not sure if it's a good deal but here's a set of wheels with the Alfine rear hub and the generator front hub. Would make a pretty sweet commuter rig.

http://www.rei.com/product/785657

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice! And disc-ready, too.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Where are the rest of the spokes?
    Recalculating....

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Where are the rest of the spokes?
    +1

The Brutally Handsome
    spokes are overrated. on today's modern wheels, you really only need one, maybe two at the most.

weirdo
    That seems to be the general consensus on rbr other than commuting and vintage sections.

In all honesty though, I have to think that modern components make it almost true. I know that my cheapo CrossRides (24/28h) continue to put up with a lot more abuse than it took to wipe out a few older 32 and 36 spoke wheels that I`ve had to retire. Mostly I credit the rims, but spokes might have something to do with it too. But I wanna see the pothole that manages to whoop the 40h Aeroheats I just built for our tandem
    Recalculating....

Ovaries on the Outside
    Still freaking expensive to have the honor of pulling around a 500lbs rear hub.

Bedwards Of The West
    I would rock a 500lb maintenance free rear hub on my commuter. Is it lighter than a cassette and rear derailleur?

It is freaking expensive though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    My Nexus was definitely heavier than the deraillers and cassette it replaced. IG hubs have their shortcommings to be sure, but they really do offer advantages to balance things out. For anybody interrested in trying one out, I`d urge you to give it a shot if possible- you might like it, at least for some applications. The easiest way might be to buy a prebuilt wheel like that, throw it into whatever bike you`ve got handy, then turn around and sell it if you don`t unexpectedly fall in love. Stupid as it sounds, I never knew I missed downshifting while stopped until I found myself able to do it! The biggest reason I ditched mine was that I really need a bigger gear range to do anything more than my short commute and an occasional run to the closest overpriced supermarket.
    Recalculating....

Ovaries on the Outside
    If they ever make a flip flob 3 speed I would be tempted.

weirdo
    Now THAT would be cool!
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    If they ever make a flip flob 3 speed I would be tempted.
    Awhile back, someone on MTBR (I forget his name) was selling a fixed cog that you could bolt onto the rotor side of your disc-ready hub. There are a few disc-ready IGHs out there as well, making this idea possible!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Tomicog makes the fixed gear adaptation. I'm not well versed with IGHs, but I wasn't aware of a disc brake hub with three gears. I don't like that most IGHs are fat lards, especially since I like SS/fixed for commuting- the IGH is for the trails or tours. Freaking great idea though.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Hey Umarth (and anyone else who's interested), Sturmey Archer makes a three-speed flip-flop hub! http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/47 The free-wheel side is single speed only. They also make both bar-mounted and bar-end shifters for it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Cool, I didn't know the S3X would have the freewheel side, which makes it somewhat appealing to me- assuming I can manage offroad and fixed. Right now my current hope is to get a disc rear hub, slap on 16t and 20t cogs on the freewheel body, my 16t tomicog on the other and mate it to a 38t/42t 170mm crankset. So far I have the cogs.

i roam around.
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    I'm not sure if it's a good deal but here's a set of wheels with the Alfine rear hub and the generator front hub. Would make a pretty sweet commuter rig.

http://www.rei.com/product/785657
    Nice, but for less than twice as much, you can get a complete bike with an Alfine disc wheelset

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...manceBike.com+

http://www.rei.com/product/774422

No-Brakes Cougar
    Those are both excellent bikes, especially the Novara Fusion (which I've been eyeballing for some time). The only thing I never understood was the chain tensioner they use, which makes for a serpentine chain line. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're used to riding a bike with a derailleur anyway, but isn't that "less than ideal" in a singlespeed/IGH set-up? Too bad they couldn't have chosen a frame with horizontal drop-outs or at least used one of those chain tensioners with a single wheel.

Oldie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Those are both excellent bikes, especially the Novara Fusion (which I've been eyeballing for some time). The only thing I never understood was the chain tensioner they use, which makes for a serpentine chain line. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're used to riding a bike with a derailleur anyway, but isn't that "less than ideal" in a singlespeed/IGH set-up? Too bad they couldn't have chosen a frame with horizontal drop-outs or at least used one of those chain tensioners with a single wheel.

I too have been looking at the Fusion....question, Could you run a road compact crank(48/34) with that chain tensioner? Would it be enough to help the chain line? I think that would make a great touring set up.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

Ovaries on the Outside
    The Alfine tensioner has 16th wrap. So the compact chainrings would work well and give you a good range for touring. Dunno about the handlebar though...

Members who have read this thread: 0