• 11-30-2009
    Tweezak
    Alfine commuter wheels on sale at REI
    I'm not sure if it's a good deal but here's a set of wheels with the Alfine rear hub and the generator front hub. Would make a pretty sweet commuter rig.

http://www.rei.com/product/785657
  • 11-30-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Nice! And disc-ready, too.
  • 11-30-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Where are the rest of the spokes?
  • 11-30-2009
    martinsillo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Where are the rest of the spokes?

+1 :lol:
  • 11-30-2009
    Sizzler
    spokes are overrated. on today's modern wheels, you really only need one, maybe two at the most.
  • 12-01-2009
    rodar y rodar
    That seems to be the general consensus on rbr other than commuting and vintage sections.

In all honesty though, I have to think that modern components make it almost true. I know that my cheapo CrossRides (24/28h) continue to put up with a lot more abuse than it took to wipe out a few older 32 and 36 spoke wheels that I`ve had to retire. Mostly I credit the rims, but spokes might have something to do with it too. But I wanna see the pothole that manages to whoop the 40h Aeroheats I just built for our tandem :D
  • 12-01-2009
    umarth
    Still freaking expensive to have the honor of pulling around a 500lbs rear hub.
  • 12-01-2009
    CommuterBoy
    I would rock a 500lb maintenance free rear hub on my commuter. Is it lighter than a cassette and rear derailleur?

It is freaking expensive though.
  • 12-01-2009
    rodar y rodar
    My Nexus was definitely heavier than the deraillers and cassette it replaced. IG hubs have their shortcommings to be sure, but they really do offer advantages to balance things out. For anybody interrested in trying one out, I`d urge you to give it a shot if possible- you might like it, at least for some applications. The easiest way might be to buy a prebuilt wheel like that, throw it into whatever bike you`ve got handy, then turn around and sell it if you don`t unexpectedly fall in love. Stupid as it sounds, I never knew I missed downshifting while stopped until I found myself able to do it! The biggest reason I ditched mine was that I really need a bigger gear range to do anything more than my short commute and an occasional run to the closest overpriced supermarket.
  • 12-01-2009
    umarth
    If they ever make a flip flob 3 speed I would be tempted.
  • 12-01-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Now THAT would be cool!
  • 12-02-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by umarth
    If they ever make a flip flob 3 speed I would be tempted.

Awhile back, someone on MTBR (I forget his name) was selling a fixed cog that you could bolt onto the rotor side of your disc-ready hub. There are a few disc-ready IGHs out there as well, making this idea possible!
  • 12-02-2009
    umarth
    Tomicog makes the fixed gear adaptation. I'm not well versed with IGHs, but I wasn't aware of a disc brake hub with three gears. I don't like that most IGHs are fat lards, especially since I like SS/fixed for commuting- the IGH is for the trails or tours. Freaking great idea though.
  • 12-03-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Hey Umarth (and anyone else who's interested), Sturmey Archer makes a three-speed flip-flop hub! http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/47 The free-wheel side is single speed only. They also make both bar-mounted and bar-end shifters for it.
  • 12-03-2009
    umarth
    Cool, I didn't know the S3X would have the freewheel side, which makes it somewhat appealing to me- assuming I can manage offroad and fixed. Right now my current hope is to get a disc rear hub, slap on 16t and 20t cogs on the freewheel body, my 16t tomicog on the other and mate it to a 38t/42t 170mm crankset. So far I have the cogs.
  • 12-03-2009
    Wanderer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweezak
    I'm not sure if it's a good deal but here's a set of wheels with the Alfine rear hub and the generator front hub. Would make a pretty sweet commuter rig.

http://www.rei.com/product/785657

Nice, but for less than twice as much, you can get a complete bike with an Alfine disc wheelset

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...manceBike.com+

http://www.rei.com/product/774422
  • 12-04-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Those are both excellent bikes, especially the Novara Fusion (which I've been eyeballing for some time). The only thing I never understood was the chain tensioner they use, which makes for a serpentine chain line. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're used to riding a bike with a derailleur anyway, but isn't that "less than ideal" in a singlespeed/IGH set-up? Too bad they couldn't have chosen a frame with horizontal drop-outs or at least used one of those chain tensioners with a single wheel.
  • 12-05-2009
    zuk88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Those are both excellent bikes, especially the Novara Fusion (which I've been eyeballing for some time). The only thing I never understood was the chain tensioner they use, which makes for a serpentine chain line. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're used to riding a bike with a derailleur anyway, but isn't that "less than ideal" in a singlespeed/IGH set-up? Too bad they couldn't have chosen a frame with horizontal drop-outs or at least used one of those chain tensioners with a single wheel.

I too have been looking at the Fusion....question, Could you run a road compact crank(48/34) with that chain tensioner? Would it be enough to help the chain line? I think that would make a great touring set up.
  • 12-05-2009
    umarth
    The Alfine tensioner has 16th wrap. So the compact chainrings would work well and give you a good range for touring. Dunno about the handlebar though...