Advice needed re. Ogre size- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Advice needed re. Ogre size

Long time touring biker, new to forum, is interested in bikepacking. I've been checking out the Ogre but struggling with size.

I've read some posts that were helpful but would love to find anyone within striking distance so that I might simple stand over the real deal. or take for a quick spin.

I'm probably a medium(18") but think I'd rather err on larger side maybe a large (20"). I once had a two big dummys. Medium and large and liked the large. I know those are way different but that's what I 'm thinking

I ride a rivendell Atlantis 56 presently but think I could have gone with a 58.

My book in the crotch measurement (Argh) is 850mm or 33.5 inches.
    The effective top tube length as close as I can measure on the Atlantis which is also a quite different bike is 580. I'm about
    5'-9 1/2" tall. My regular pants inseam is closer to 30 or 31

Apart from finding someone that has one close by - your size and bike you chose would be helpful. The Jones H loop bars look good and get good reviews. I could possibly switch out to something more like a flat/straight bar and play with stems a bit if needed.
    I was able to ride a Large ECR at a local bike store. It's geometry doesn't seem that far off the Ogre. Large did not give me much stand over clearance - maybe 3cm or so. I'm pretty sure it had a 110 stem and it was a reach to the cross bar on the loop bars although the standard sweep position was OK.

I'm in Cabot Vermont - So if your close let me know. None in stock anywhere in New England as far as I can find. I'd sure appreciate your help. Next to that I'd appreciate hearing from anyone regarding their size and the bike they chose.

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I can't exactly help you with all that myself. But you might check out Maxthecyclist on WordPress blog and drop him a qiestion. He's had a Karate Monkey and an Ogre and several other Surlys. He might even have an Olde frame for sale and if it fits you might have yourself a deal, I know he lives in the Boston area which isn't all that far from VT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks - will do

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got a Karate Monkey (same frame as the Ogre) and at 5'11 with a 32 inseam (pants, not cycling) I ride a 20" frame but I think I'm about as short as someone can be and still ride that frame. I barely have any standover but I'm comfortable when riding which I think is more important. My best guess is you are in the 18" frame size range.

If you scroll down the forums here there is a Surly specific section and I'm pretty sure there are some threads covering this exact subject. If I remember correctly the general feeling is that the frames feel a bit larger than the frame size would suggest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Good information!

I really appreciate you getting back to me. After my recent ride I'm leaning toward the 18. I'm smaller than you and coupled with my recent test ride on the ECR I think I'm zeroing in on this.

Thanks very much!

Mark