Additional commute time- Mtbr.com
    Did I catch a niner+?

Additional commute time

How much time did you guys add with commuting vs driving?

My car broke down (busted radiator) so I am taking the bus to the Mall of America then biking to work. Normally when I drive it takes about 12 minutes since there is so much freeway and its early enough that I miss all the traffic.

EDIT: I do not have a way of taking any sort of shower at work so I am kinda stuck there. Do most of you recommend just bringing a change of clothes vs riding in your work clothes?
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 05-15-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Time in the car vs. time on the bike is an interesting question.

My drive to work can take 25 minutes, or 90 minutes, depending on day of the week, and what time I leave. And it's all freeway except two low-traffic miles on either end. My bike commute takes 75-80 minutes depending on my fitness/BAC from the night before.

Distances are about the same and I ride a bike trail with for 80% or so of the distance, which has no stop lights/signs or traffic.

You should check out google - they can do bike commute maps now (click on more and then the bicycling). That might help you avoid the bus or other stuff. Adding "rapid" transit or bus lines can significantly increase your commute time if you're riding.

I can't help much with not having a shower/locker on site. I'm SUPER fortunate with my setup. I have read about using Wet-Ones to clean yourself, and have at least used them camping with success. Just ride in clothes you don't wear for work.

BTW - I'm currently in commute mode due to broken down car too
    :wq

Did I catch a niner+?
    I will have to get up at least 30 minutes earlier and I imagine it's crucial to setup everything up the night before since time is so crucial in the AM.

The ride from the MoA to work is by Google 23 minutes but to be honest I think I can do it in 19 or less. I might do a pre test run the day before to see what I can do maybe during rush hour. There is no way for me to avoid some sort of public transit unless I wanted a 20+ mile commute. The sweating shouldn't be too bad its all flat and one road the whole way.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I don't have showers at my work, just use the paper towels in the bathroom to wipe up. If you shower before heading in and wipe the sweat off fairly quickly after getting there you don't have to worry, it actually takes an hour or so before the stink sets in. I commute just under 10 miles each way in Phoenix, so I can work up a pretty good sweat in the summer. If you work up a sweat on the ride I would bring a change of clothes.

Which way? Uphill.
    My drive is 20 minutes each way. Bike commute is 65 minutes to work, 55 minutes home.

I look at the morning as no additional time as I just get out the door faster, same wake-up time no matter the mode of transportation. The afternoon is just 35 minutes longer. So for a 35 minute time hit I get 2 hours of cycling a day, deal!

It sounds like your commute is pretty short so I would say just ride in your work clothes and take it easy so you don't get too sweaty.

I first started bike commuting regularly when my car's radiator broke too, it was just the thing I needed to kick me over into full-time bike commuting.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I don't have showers at my work, just use the paper towels in the bathroom to wipe up. If you shower before heading in and wipe the sweat off fairly quickly after getting there you don't have to worry, it actually takes an hour or so before the stink sets in. I commute just under 10 miles each way in Phoenix, so I can work up a pretty good sweat in the summer. If you work up a sweat on the ride I would bring a change of clothes.
    damn Tom I'm lucky I take a shower at work I cant imagine in the summer only taking a whore bath .....
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    unscented baby wipes, leave them at work, make a good shower replacement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboypup
    damn Tom I'm lucky I take a shower at work I cant imagine in the summer only taking a whore bath .....
    It's not quite full-on whore bath since I don't cover it up with some kind of body spray... at least thats what I keep telling myself.

mtbr member
    I would use Wet Ones or something similar.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had a easy car-commute of about 15 minutes. I now have an exciting and fun bike-commute (mostly on trail networks across the hills) of about 45 minutes to an hour. Sure, it's longer but so much more fun and much fewer idiot drivers to deal with on the road!

I don't have showers at work either, so I leave a week's worth of clothes (including socks and undies of course) at work on the weekend. I have the usual "farmer's shower" as well, and so far so good to this point. Once summer really ramps up, I may start getting complaints but we'll see. I hadn't thought of the Wet One idea, I might try that!

No-Brakes Cougar
    I used to walk mostly, before I started riding to work so cycling actually decreased my commute time!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Bedwards Of The West
    I live in the sticks. Drive time is 12 minutes or so...bike time is 20 minutes or so. No cars, no lights, no other people to worry about.

I stash clothes/shoes at work and carry undershirt/underwear in my backpack. Shower in the morning before you leave and do a quick wipedown when you change at work, and you're good to go. I would never ride in my work clothes. Sounds icky.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Members who have read this thread: 0