40%?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 40%?

mtbr member

40%?

A recent poll on this website has shown that 40% of you aren't riding to work, even for one day. Do you all have 20 mile round trip commutes or what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wish I only had a 20 mile round trip commute - that would free up a lot of time for other rides.

I typically bike 2-3 days each week.
    Last edited by 29Clyde; 05-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    My wife has 105 miles round-trip (yes, we put over 30,000 a year on her car). We'd move closer but to cut it down to 50 miles a day would double our mortgage. To be within 10 miles would quadruple it...

And I work from home.

mtbr member
    I'm riding tomorrow and Friday - the only two days I'll go in to the office this week. 46 miles/day

Then a nice 25 miler on the mountain bike Sunday to watch the Amgen Tour come through my weekend playground for Stage 1
    :wq

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid_Mountain
    A recent poll on this website has shown that 40% of you aren't riding to work, even for one day. Do you all have 20 mile round trip commutes or what?
    Huh? What poll was that? I can`t say you`re wrong (especially since I don`t even remember the poll), but that really doesn`t sound right to me. Could you, or somebody who know what poll, please link to it?

As for me, daily commute of much less than 20 miles, but I`ve only missed two days so far in 2010, even with windstorms, a little rain, a couple snowstorms that have been enough to stop mail delivery, and a handful of subzero mornings

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    don't look my way fan-boy!
    I'm one of VERY few (in my building of 2 or 3000 employees) who was on my bike throughout winter.
    and I gotta admit... the winter commuter support thread here really helped!
    knowing I'm not the only one riding snot-nosed into a blizzard at minus 20 totally rocks.
    this year I'm SORTED for the worst days, ss'd ti bike with tioga mud tires baby!
    debating on rigid or front squish... meh, that's a conversation for another day!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Polls on this site are pretty useless, except as ways to start a discussion. The numbers themselves mean very little.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Moderator Moderator
    That must be the 40% that are unemployed!

Although I have met a lot of bikers that aren't interested in commuting, even when they have lockers, showers, etc. Too much hassle to change, etc. I know some would be hooked if they tried it once.

I do not recall the poll either

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Polls on this site are pretty useless, except as ways to start a discussion. The numbers themselves mean very little.
    +1

Even with that said, you have to remember that this is a Mountain Biking site and not a specifically a Commuting site. I'm pretty sure that the number is very different for those of us who primarily post on the Commuting forum of the site. Maybe you make this post on another forum section of the site and see what kind of responses you get.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    Even with that said, you have to remember that this is a Mountain Biking site and not a specifically a Commuting site.
    Ah! If the poll in question was in another subforum, that would explain why I didn`t see it and would go a long ways towards explaining the 40%. Probably about the same results as posting that poll on a rock climbing site. Lots of active, outdoorsy folks, but not necessarilly into pedaled transportation- probably more bike and foot commuters than the average population, but I think less than here in Commuting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I believe this it the pole that the OP is refering to:

http://www.mtbr.com/qikResults_2478crx.aspx

The pole was displayed on every sub-forum on the site. So as I was saying earlier, I'm sure that the results for people that primarily post on the Commuting sub-forum would be very different.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, find me a way to commute on trails and I'll do it. I don't road bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The poll in question...

is on every forum and on the home page on the left side of the screen. Just like all the polls on this site. Obviously not everyone on MTBR notice them or vote in them. And the current results are up to 45% that intend to participate. However, this being a mountain biking site I wouldn't expect the results to be much different. If the poll were posted on Road Bike Review or a commuting specific site, I'd expect the numbers would be quite different. But then you never know. There are lots of folks out there that enjoy riding, but don't commute. If a more accurate and scientific poll were taken of all cyclists, I think we'd all be amazed at the numbers that don't commute. Of the hundereds of customers at the shop, we have only about a dozen that I know of that commute by bike regularly. The vast majority are "recreational" cyclists only. Unfortunately in most of the country the bike is viewed as a recreational vehicle, or a piece of fitness equipment, not as transportation.

With all that said, and as others have noted, the polls on this site aren't very accurate and really don't represent the total population of this site. If you look at the current results there have only been 139 respondents to the poll. That's a very small slice of the total membership of MTBR. I wouldn't put place much credence in it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Actually, for 5 of the last 8 years, I walked to work. Three of those I did not even have to go outside to do so.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

One What?
    I have a 24 mile commute into work. I ride when I can, because of tight scheduling, babysitters etc. not necessarily for lack of desire.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I commute for work every working days of total 10miles 2 ways.

Even going for outing, movie and dine out. I will still commute cos its must more convenient and hassle free (No jam and finding parking lot problem) unless the distance is very long(more than 5miles).

And I commute in rigid MTB with racks.

ride the moment
    I bike-commute every day, but I live in a university town of 50,000 with bike lanes on every street. My parents live in a strip-mall infested suburb of Knoxville, TN. Forget bike lanes, they don't even have sidewalks. Furthermore, everything is very spread out. It's 25 miles on 4 lane concrete divided "highways" just to get from their house to downtown. The culture is not bike friendly at all. I would never bike commute if I lived there. I am fortunate to live where I do and have a bike-friendly community. Lot's of people have to go live in less than stellar locations for their job and I do not blame them for driving.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Ovaries on the Outside
    I bike every day.

mtbr member
    Having a job to commute to helps a lot. I wonder how many of the respondents who did not commute had work to commute to.

Then there is the physical aspect. As mentioned above. So there should be another question asking would they bike to work if it was closer, and or roads/bike paths made it safer more amenable. As it stands, I think the 40-45% is about right for the challenges many would face who would try, and the ease issue a car represents.

Sampling (randomness not necessarily size of the sample) and questions asked make or break a poll's usefulness, and for the most part this one flunks on both counts.

As for me, I have commuted every day that I was not required to use my own car for work by work. That is yet another subgroup.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 05-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, how'd you know? My commute is 20.2 miles round trip, and I still do it every now and then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    I believe this it the pole that the OP is refering to:

http://www.mtbr.com/qikResults_2478crx.aspx

The pole was displayed on every sub-forum on the site. So as I was saying earlier, I'm sure that the results for people that primarily post on the Commuting sub-forum would be very different.
    Hmmm, oh yeah, October is real recent huh? lol

For the rest of you, I forgot about those living in the snow. My condolences.

And for the guys who do have 20 mile round-trips, better get a LHT.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have driven to work 14 times in the last 400 days. I only drive when I need 4WD to get my Jeep out of the driveway. I never saw that poll.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Commuting is fun. Seriously!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    Commuting is fun. Seriously!
    Try convincing my wife of that... If there is an accident on the turnpike it can easily take her 3 hours to get to work.

One What?
    Hmmm, oh yeah, October is real recent huh? lol

For the rest of you, I forgot about those living in the snow. My condolences.

And for the guys who do have 20 mile round-trips, better get a LHT.

Well, I've got you convinced on LHT, now let's work on my wife

Members who have read this thread: 0