29er Commuter Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er Commuter Tires

I am planning to convert my 29er SS into a commuter by picking up a second wheel set. Wheelset will be 29" with 6-bolt to match up with hydro brakes. Need help selecting good commuter tires. Ride to work is 90% road with 10% dirt trail.

Thanks in advance.

Bedwards Of The West
    BIG APPLES

I'm approaching 4000 miles or so on mine...Dirt road, singletrack, pavement, gravel, touring, etc. They work great tubeless. They are big and heavy. But they make up for thier heft in sheer awesomeness. I've had 2 flats.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Scwalbe website only has 28x2.35 for the Big Apple. Is there a 29 version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that is the 29" version. those crazy euros with their accurate ways of measuring things!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Bedwards Of The West
    29" is the guesstimated outer diameter of a mtn bike tire on a 700c size wheel. The actual wheel is closer to 28 than 29. Schwalbe, Nokian, and other 'euro' companies list them as 28's. Same thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, it would make sense to refer to them by the wheel diameter or ETRTO size e.g. 700C and 29ers are both 622mm.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    there are a ton of CX and "hybrid" type tire options that could work for you... I had 700x42 (i think) kenda cross tires on my old redline... have the 700x38 version on my surly 1x1 pavment pounder... enough that dirt/fire roads are ok... and super cheap
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    29" is the guesstimated outer diameter of a mtn bike tire on a 700c size wheel. The actual wheel is closer to 28 than 29. Schwalbe, Nokian, and other 'euro' companies list them as 28's. Same thing.
    Learned somethign new today.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    there are a ton of CX and "hybrid" type tire options that could work for you... I had 700x42 (i think) kenda cross tires on my old redline... have the 700x38 version on my surly 1x1 pavment pounder... enough that dirt/fire roads are ok... and super cheap
    I have Kenda 700X38's on my singlespeed... I think they were under 10 bucks a pop. can't go wrong there. The BA's were totally worth the cost in terms of their durability though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've ridden both the Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 700Cx40 (which is actually a 42) and Marathon Racer 700Cx38 (which is actually a 40). Both are great tires, but the racers are noticeably faster. I've put maybe 2000 miles on the Duremes, and less than a thousand on the Racers. I haven't had a flat yet with either.

The tires that came stock on my 29er are Kenda Karma 1.9s. They were such smooth and fast rolling tires that I almost didn't bother going to a skinnier tire for commuting. If I had a bit more gravel in my commute, I think I would actually go back to them. They were quite quick on asphalt. Amazingly quick for a tire built for the dirt.

mtbr member
    I just mounted up a set of these Kenda 700X40 Kwick Bitumen K1068, 60Tpi Folding on some extra rims I have. I will be doing a little commuting to work now that the weather is nice here in Minnesota.
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

jrm
    mtbr member

I used

32c tservs pumped up to 100 PSI. The bike flew

Medi
    I just ordered me some Schwalbe marathon Supreme's in 29x2.0
    2009 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2012 Spec SJ EVO 29er
    2008 Spec Tri-Cross
    2001 Spec FSR S-Works

http://www.TemporaryObsessions.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfederateLawyer View Post
    I've ridden both the Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 700Cx40 (which is actually a 42) and Marathon Racer 700Cx38 (which is actually a 40). Both are great tires, but the racers are noticeably faster. I've put maybe 2000 miles on the Duremes, and less than a thousand on the Racers. I haven't had a flat yet with either
    Hey man - I just picked up a 2012 Specialized Carve Comp and was thinking about grabbing a pair of Marathon Dureme HS 410 (50-622). How have your's held up? Would you still recommend them as a regular commuter set? (50% packed gravel path 50% asphalt road)

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I am currently using some Big Apples - 29x2.0. They work pretty well, I'm quite happy thus far. I have about 1000 mi on them so far, running them at 40 psi. Lowlights: the minimum pressure is 35 psi, sometimes I want to go lower although a fatty like me shouldn't. Highlights: Everything else. More supple sidewalls than the Serfas Drifter tires I had before, has a nice reflective strip too. Also seems about a quarter to a half pound lighter per tire. I haven't washed out with it yet but I feel like I've pushed it towards the edge of the trip on the road, and it gives good feedback that it's getting there.

Because of the 700C compatibility, I also have a set of folding Marathon Supreme 700Cx50 tires, another tire I've had great success with. Nice rolling tire. I haven't used it yet, so no comments there. Pricey though.

Serfas Drifter has also been good to me. Cheap, harder compound, very heavy, min pressure 30 psi. I don't like riding these in the wet as they make a weird noise... stupid, I know, but it is what it is. Inverted tread tires, so you can probably accept all of the positives and negatives of those, namely thorn protection on the cutouts isn't so good, but it's not a bad on-road off-road tire.

mtbr member
    Gonna bump this thread for a question,

Currently running Kenda Kourier 40mm on my 29er commuter. Looking to get a larger volume tire for a softer ride. Has anyone tried Origin8 Captiv8er tires? There are some 29x2.3 for a good price right now but never tried Origin8 tires.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0