26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter

I have had taking a few kicks at the ideal commuter for me. This is my current attempt. I have been using it for the last month.

This was suppose to be a commuter for my fiance, but it wasn't pretty enough. No big loss ... I claimed it and I am quite pleased with how it turned out ... was very economical as well.

I got the frame locally for $25. It was damage free but ROUGH. Pitted and filthy. Its a suspension adjusted 26er frame with a lot of clearance. The 29er rims and CX tyres fit with about 1/4" to spare. I had it powder coated white. It looks like new less a little cable rub mark on the headtube. Its a single speed with a rear derailleur for tension so I can change rings and what not without removing the chain.

Frame: 95ish Norco Mocha Easton Aluminum

Fork: Mosso Aluminum

Headset: Cane Creek
    Stem: Titec Carbon
    Handlebar: NOS Scott Drop Bars

Brakes: Clark Disc with A2Z Rear Disc Brake Adaptor
    Brake Pads: Clark
    Brake Cables: Clark

Brake Levers: Tektro

Shifters: None
    Front Derailleur: None
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600 (used for tension only)
    Derailleur Cables: None
    Cassette: None
    Chain: Shimano
    Cranks: Ultegra 6500
    Crank Bolts: Shimano
    Chainrings: Shimano (thats a 52 on it ... changing to 44)
    Chainring bolts: Shimano
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultergra
    Pedals: Shimano SPD

Hub Skewers: Bontrager
    Rims: Bontrager Mustang 29er SS
    Hubs: Bontrager
    Nipples: DT
    Spokes: DT
    Tyres: Continental CX Race
    Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Selle Flite Ti
    Seatpost: Kalloy
    Seatpost Binder: KCNC

Weight: 22.5 lbs ready to commute (including lights and the coffee cup holder )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-norco2.jpg  

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-norco3.jpg  

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-norco4.jpg  

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-norco5.jpg  

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-norco6.jpg  

26er to 700c Disc Cyclocross/Commuter-image.jpg  

guy
    Nice work. She's a beaut! I'd love to know how that Mosso fork works out for you as I have considered picking one up as well.

mtbr member
    What do you think of the A2Z Rear Disc Brake Adaptor? From the photos it looks really slick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am a big fan of the mosso fork. It's light, shaped nice, and cheap! I actually got it for another bike I was going to use cantilevers on, but that build changed. In hindsight I woulda got the just disc fork (cleaner lines). I have another build in mind using a nos klein mtb frame that I may go the cx route if it doesn't fit 650b mtb tires. I would get another mosso for that in a heartbeat.

My A2Z adapter experience has been good, but it is not as plug and play as advertised. It's designed for perfectly flat dropouts. The norco has flat dropouts, but they usual slightly raised area for the QRs to grip. This presented a problem and I ended up machining the bracket to make it fit well. After about 3hrs of work I got it right and, thus far, it's be really good. It hasn't moved a mm and seems solid. The key with the A2Z is finding the right frame. Even if the dropout is perfectly flat it may not fit right (case in point my wheeler titanium).
    Last edited by jimi911; 04-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's great info on the adapter and the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    No Prob ...

Two other things on the Mosso ...

Its suspension adjusted to forks in the 100-120mm of travel range. You can see in the pics that if gives this norco a bit of extra headtube angle, which is not a problem. The norco mocha was made for 60-80mm forks. I would imagine the Mosso would be too tall for most non suspension adjusted frames.

It will also fit a 650b full mtb tire easily and will even accommodate a 29er wheel/tire if you had some reason to use if for that.

guy
    Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Hey jimi911, another question for you about the drops.

Would that frame normally be a good fit for you with flatbars, or is it a size too small? I've been thinking about putting drops on my old 26er, but am a little worried that it would be too reachy. But it looks like you've got a pretty normal stem on yours and didn't have to do anything too weird?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It would work for me with flats. Its about a 18" frame and I ride 17-19 depending on the bike. It does have a pretty long top tube though. That should be the key measurement IMO.

You do need to play with the stem length and angle a bit. That is a +5 degree 110mm stem on there. I tried a few stems before settling on that one. You end up adjusting the position of the brakes and the stem a bunch of times before you are comfortable. Than you tape it once you are pretty sure its right.

mtbr member
    Nice! I am fiddling with a conversion of my old MTB frame to 700c also. Mine will use rim brakes. yours is much lighter and faster looking.

mtbr member
    That's awesome bike, I just got the same fork from friend (mosso MD5) and think of a set of 29 wheel for my 26 frame, seeing from the pics above looks like plenty space (for 35c tire), do You think 42c slick will fit that fork?

Thanks.