26" commuter tire for rail trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

26" commuter tire for rail trail

I ride a giant anthem x and commute 15 km one way to work on a crushed limestone hardpack trail. I currently have my xc race tires on my bike (Rocket Ron on front and Racing Ralph on rear) and couldn't believe how quickly the tires have been wearing down since commuting. I am looking at throwing a commuter set of tires on an old wheelset and was wondering what those in the know would suggest. I am looking for something that is durable and relatively fast rolling to get me to work a bit faster. I don't mind paying a bit more if they last a long time.

Bedwards Of The West
    I ride my Big Apples on a rail trail quite a bit, I wouldn't hesitate to go with those, or a similar high volume slick for that kind of a ride. More traction than you think, and about as fast-rolling as they come. I've got about 4000 miles on my Big Apples, and only the rear is due for replacement. Should have rotated
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    The Big Apples will work fine if its all crushed limestone. You can slip and slide a bit if you run into any mud, but as long as you are aware, you should be fine on those.

CommuterBoy -- Good to know I can get 4000 miles on those. Just put those on my 29er.

mtbr member
    I've ridden XC on big apples... in dry conditions they work fine.

I run WTB Vulpine's now. Not sure they still make a 26'er Vulpine though. Might be 29er only now.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have a singletrack option that I take on the BA's quite a bit... they suck in wet pine needles, but when it's bare dirt, they are very predictable and get surprisingly good traction.

They set up tubeless really easily also.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    +4 for Big Apples on trails & hard-pack as well as tar.

26" vulpine still available I only got 1500 on them and only the rear is due for replacement. Should have rotated. - but their pretty cheap

mtbr member
    I don't think I have ever seen a worn-out pair of Conti Town and Country tires, but lots of dry-rotted ones that were just really, really old. they never die.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Cheap versions of the tires you have. Seriously.

Before I saw the body of your post, I was thinking, "full-sized MTB knobby with a low tread." Lo and behold, you're riding with a full-sized MTB knobby with a low tread.

I guess the older RoRo and RaRa are still a racing compound. So you might do better changing brands. But, I think having some, but not a particularly tall, tread would still be useful.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0