25 mile commute- Mtbr.com

Thread: 25 mile commute

Thank a Soldier Today

25 mile commute

I have a roughly 25 mile straight shot rail trail ride to work, nearly 15 miles is down hill. Took me about 1 hour 45 minutes to complete.

I have a MTB converted with 700x32 slicks for this commuting purpose. I plan to ride this route a couple times a week 1 way. As you might imagine, I would have my wife drive my bike towing vehicle that day to get my bike home. My wife and I commute together, so no "green" advantage of my commuting ride...she doesn't and won't consider biking at all. This benefits me though as if I ride back, 50 miles for the day is probably a bit too much for me.

I'm looking for community confirmation that a 25 mile commute a couple times a week is not crazy. I'm looking to get in extra saddle time and general exercise.

I suppose I might get several responses saying if I want to do it, then do it. I have reservation so I thought I would ask you all. The only thing stopping me at present is it doesn't get light early enough to make the trek to work, shower, and in my seat my 830.

What do you all think?

Thanks!!

~Gun5
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun5ling3rX
    "nearly 15 miles is down hill."
    Oh yes, do it! 15 of 25 miles downhill?! It's a no brainer. Sounds like lots of fun. Much, much better than a frigging car ride. No contest!

b3ksmith
    Austin, Texas
    bike commuting 8 yrs
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "The only thing stopping me at present is it doesn't get light early enough to make the trek to work, shower, and in my seat my 830."
    Buy lights.
    Rear flasher: Planet Bike "Superflash" < $25 - best rear flasher I have used, uses 2 AAA rechargable batteries lasting ~ 80 hours between charges.

Head light: Light & Motion Solo Lightset ~ $125 ~ moderately bright, easy to attach to handlebars, battery lasts 300-400 recharges (about 2 yrs use for me). You can spend a lot for headlights but my pain threshold is ~ $100, yours may be higher.

With these additions you can be to work on time.Don't be afraid of the dark.
    Enjoy!

b3ksmith
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    In my early 20's I did 36 mile round trip 5 days a week for a year due to loss of Lic. The cool thing was that I lived in newport beach and commuted to long beach along the coast about 80% was boardwalk.

At first it was a burden because I "had" to commute by bike, but after a week or two I really enjoyed it. You need to think of it as an opportunity to get on you bike and ride, not just a way to get to work or save a couple of bucks on gas.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    25 miles is 38km, which is exactly the length of my commute. It's not a trip I'd do both ways every day, that's a good way to burn yourself out. But it's certainly good base ks, and if you have appropriate roads you take, can be used for good intervals and specific training (spin-ups on the downhills, threshold on the flats, intervals on the flats or uphills, big gear climbs on the climbs, fixed gear across the whole thing).
    By doing this, which I started in September/October last year, I've gone from top 10 in C grade to top 10 in B grade (in those 6 months).
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

outdoor miner
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    25 miles is 38km, which is exactly the length of my commute. It's not a trip I'd do both ways every day, that's a good way to burn yourself out. But it's certainly good base ks, and if you have appropriate roads you take, can be used for good intervals and specific training (spin-ups on the downhills, threshold on the flats, intervals on the flats or uphills, big gear climbs on the climbs, fixed gear across the whole thing).
    By doing this, which I started in September/October last year, I've gone from top 10 in C grade to top 10 in B grade (in those 6 months).
    How much would you recommend as a work day maximum?

I do 25km a day and carpool from there, can do 100km for the full round trip...I know that is too much.

Would it work for a friday farewell to the working week?
    Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leximog
    How much would you recommend as a work day maximum?

I do 25km a day and carpool from there, can do 100km for the full round trip...I know that is too much.

Would it work for a friday farewell to the working week?
    Man, that really depends on so many other things it's impossible to answer with any absolute.
    It depends on the person, their level of fitness, and how much rest they get throughout the week.
    It depends how hard you ride it.
    It depends what you plan on doing for the weekend (eg, are you racing that weekend?).

Strangely, the week of my best state series result, I did one+half round trips to work, and 4 hours the day before.
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

outdoor miner
    Man, that really depends on so many other things it's impossible to answer with any absolute.
    It depends on the person, their level of fitness, and how much rest they get throughout the week.
    It depends how hard you ride it.
    It depends what you plan on doing for the weekend (eg, are you racing that weekend?).

Strangely, the week of my best state series result, I did one+half round trips to work, and 4 hours the day before.
    I'm no racer, the weekends are spent with my boy, 4. So the weekend riding isn't too strenuous, yet

I'm not up to the full commute just yet, but another month of 25km a day maintenance and I should be close.

I can handle arriving home on friday night shattered, as long as the in leg leaves me enough energy to put in a decent day.

I know you can't give a sure answer, but it is good to get some feedback from someone who has combined substantial mileage with work

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leximog
    I can handle arriving home on friday night shattered, as long as the in leg leaves me enough energy to put in a decent day.

I know you can't give a sure answer, but it is good to get some feedback from someone who has combined substantial mileage with work
    Well, also consider that I sit at a desk all day at work.
    This means two things.
    1. I'm not doing much physically exerting stuff throughout the day.
    2. Stretching my glutes and hamstrings after riding is an absolute must (think about the position sitting puts you in, and how it shortens those muscles).

If you're something like a labourer, someone who's doing physical work, then alter your plan accordingly.

outdoor miner
    Well, also consider that I sit at a desk all day at work.
    This means two things.
    1. I'm not doing much physically exerting stuff throughout the day.
    2. Stretching my glutes and hamstrings after riding is an absolute must (think about the position sitting puts you in, and how it shortens those muscles).

If you're something like a labourer, someone who's doing physical work, then alter your plan accordingly.
    I'm another desk jockey.

So thanks for the stretching advice, I never thought too much about how my work posture influenced my riding legs.

I guess as long as I have enough calories on board when I get into my work then physical fatigue should not detract from mental extertion.

Which way? Uphill.
    To the OP, this sounds like a good opportunity for you. My advice is to ease into it. It will take a while to get used to the earlier mornings and the extra distance. Lay everything out the night before to make it as easy on yourself as possible. The hardest part is getting out of bed and out the door, I've never regretted getting up and commuting by bike, but I have regretted driving into work.

If time becomes an issue for you then reverse it, ride only home, though it sounds like you will have a tougher ride with more uphill.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Go for it! I commute from Central Phoenix to the outskirts of town once a week (44miles round trip) and although sometimes the traffic is bad, I sure feel good at the end of the day.

I think anybody can do it, you just have to enjoy the bike and the mostly fresh air!

-Kata

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ride 13 miles 1 way to work (or home) 5 days a week, 3 seasons a year. The opposite direction, I use bus/light rail. About twice a week, I add another 10 - 15 miles for some additional exercise with a co-worker. It took me a couple of months to work up to this level, and now my plan is to ride both ways 5 days a week (keeping my extra excursions in the mix as well). My advice...go at a pace that is comfortable to you. If you push it a little too hard one day, sloww the pace for a couple of days following. Your body will adapt pretty quickly. Remember, cycling is FUN...keep it that way. Enjoy your time on the bike...you don't always have to push hard to enjoy.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    over the summer I was doing a 20 mile round trip. half of that was on dirt road (potholes are no fun in the dark).
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

jl
    climb
    I'm looking for community confirmation that a 25 mile commute a couple times a week is not crazy. I'm looking to get in extra saddle time and general exercise.
    I did this from May 1 to Sept 1 a couple of years ago 4-5 days a week. Ride bike to work when it was cool weather. Ride home in the air conditioned carpool in the afternoon.

I was in great biking shape that year, but I didn't do as much mountain biking.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I suppose I might get several responses saying if I want to do it, then do it. I have reservation so I thought I would ask you all. The only thing stopping me at present is it doesn't get light early enough to make the trek to work, shower, and in my seat my 830.

What do you all think?

Thanks!!

~Gun5
    I say buy a moderately inexpensive light ($50-100; check the reviews on this site for some decent brands) and tail light (should be less than $25) and enjoy the ride

As for the distance, I live 20.25 miles from work (one way) and I decided on a random day to try it. After not biking for 7 years and only having ridden a bike about 10 miles a few days prior to condition myself a little, I made it there a little sore, but overall alright. The trek home was a little less fun though, but still easily manageable. Waited a little less than a week and tried it again with my mountain bike and even with knobbies I barely felt fatigued the next day. My commute is pretty hilly, so it isn't the best in terms of keeping my average speed up (I average about 12mph right now...hoping to get closer to 18mph in a few more weeks). I'm also young (24) so you're recovery time and fitness level will play a huge role in how fun this turns out to be.

I think you'll be surprised how easy it is, especially after the first day

Thank a Soldier Today
    Awesome responses from everyone! Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to start this a couple days a week after I get my lights. I'll keep you posted.

I'm looking forward to the crisp morning air and getting blood flowing before work like when I was in the service. I typically get going with a half a pot of coffee and maybe some mtbr.com.

Thanks again!

~Gun5
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

Members who have read this thread: 0