2017 Kona Unit as winter commuter - yay or nay?- Mtbr.com
    high pivot witchcraft

2017 Kona Unit as winter commuter - yay or nay?

Hey guys. I got locked out of this site for a while after my email changed in May and I was unable to re-register with my new email. Back now though.

Anyway, just getting ready for winter (yeah - Calgary, Canada - snowed yesterday in the mountains...).

I bought a NOS 2015 Paddy Wagon earlier this summer as my new 3 season commuter and immediately switched the hub to run fixed gear. What a blast. Plus it has improved my fitness and riding in the mountains significantly. I am generally riding 2 or 3 gears higher for everything now, carrying much more speed into everything in my path.

Sticking with the single speed simplicity theme, any thoughts on the 27.5+ 2017 Kona Unit as a winter commuter? I can try to squeeze another year out of my 2008 Kona Fire Mountain hard tail but it will require about $450 for new studded tires and to replace the cheap and now badly corroded Rockshox fork with a rigid Kona P2 fork. That bike has seen 5 full salt filled winters.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd feel bad putting it through salted winters, too nice of a bike.

Does it have fender mounts? Are there full coverage fenders for 27.5+ wheels? Is anyone making 27.5+ studded tires?

I'd almost be more inclined to find an old (mid 90s) rigid MTB with semi horizontal dropouts and convert to single speed.

Or do what I did, find a single speed belt drive bike, add full fenders, and laugh at bad winter weather.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I'd feel bad putting it through salted winters, too nice of a bike.

Does it have fender mounts? Are there full coverage fenders for 27.5+ wheels? Is anyone making 27.5+ studded tires?

I'd almost be more inclined to find an old (mid 90s) rigid MTB with semi horizontal dropouts and convert to single speed.

Or do what I did, find a single speed belt drive bike, add full fenders, and laugh at bad winter weather.
    Yeah. I was going to rinse it twice a week. Still though, I hear ya.

I may try to squeeze another winter out of my Kona Fire Mountain

~ B A D A S S ~
    If you want a new bike, get a new bike! Either way you will have to corrosion proof the frame. Spray oil and grease in all internal openings in the frame. then shake it around. Alu will corrode in salts too. Maybe even worse.

Check if nokian makes some 650b tires?? I like the 240w model. it comes in 26x1.9 and 700cx35 and 40 at least. And probably a lot more sizes.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.