2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread- Mtbr.com

2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread

Normally this posts later in the year, but some of us are on the verge of winter weather. Once I mount fenders and sort through the cold weather clothing I'm ready for the weather.

Go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Snowed August 21 this year didnt stick

I'd rather be on my bike
    Getting the colder weather stuff out and organized. Last nights ride had me at about 54 or so, much cooler than it has been. Already dreading it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    I'm going to see how long I can go, I hope I can make it at least through October! I would be happy to commute 9 months of the year.
    check out my youtube channel if you want: https://www.youtube.com/HACKANDRIDEBIKES

My goal is always at least one ride per month minimum. In the past only illness and work have gotten in the way. Even in the Midwest's harshest winters, there's usually one ride able day each month.

Moderator Moderator
    I am often more comfortable on winter rides than summer rides. My advice, don't psych yourself out - and keep riding! It is easier to adjust if you do it - literally- by degrees. Oh, it is 10(F) degrees colder this morning, I will add an undershirt, or a thicker layer somewhere. Next week, another addition. Feet and hands are the problem spots to either spend some money on (e.g., pogies), or compromise on (e.g., warm boots and flat pedals).

Bedwards Of The West
    Bring it on. I'm sick of the heat and it'll be my first winter with a fatbike. Woohoo! Hoping we get slammed here in NorCal like they say we might...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ditched my fat bike in a trade for a single speed light mountain bike. Studded tires will be the next purchase and I hope that I can make it through the winter.

CB of the East
    My desktop is a slideshow of all my biking pics. I can't say that the winter ones look appealing to me since summer's seemed so short. We still have a good 3 1/2 months of anything can happen fall weather before the snow flies. Will this be the winter that I upgrade my fatbike? A kid in college and a new $9000 furnace says, maybe not. . Not to mention that there are other bikes I want to upgrade. Hey, how'd this start to be about me getting new bikes? I'm getting the itch, it's been 2 years.

So winter, sure, give me a few months and I'll be ready.

That's a funny itch. The more you scratch the worse it can itch. I just bought a bike this spring then a Salsa Ti Warbird frame pops up on CL and I'm itching all over again. Might have to take a deep breath and pass on this one.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    A kid in college and a new $9000 furnace says, maybe not. .
    That's too bad, but good to know - I'm coming over if my furnace dies or the power is out for an extended time!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    That's a funny itch. The more you scratch the worse it can itch. I just bought a bike this spring then a Salsa Ti Warbird frame pops up on CL and I'm itching all over again. Might have to take a deep breath and pass on this one.
    Local guy is selling a 2016 Warbird here, aluminum with a carbon fork. 56cm, 105 11 speed. I can get you in touch if needed. Just saying. Not trying to help you spend your money.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Local guy is selling a 2016 Warbird here, aluminum with a carbon fork. 56cm, 105 11 speed. I can get you in touch if needed. Just saying. Not trying to help you spend your money.
    The Warbird here is a 58 (my size) and a grand for a minty frameset is pretty good, just can't do the two bikes in a year. Starting to think I may need a recumbent of some kind if my shoulder surgery doesn't provide a lot of relief.

guy
    I had to bust out the long sleeve jersey yesterday morning. Sad that summer was so short but fall is my favorite time of year so I'm not too upset. Plus, CROSS STARTS NEXT WEEK!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What? cold/wet ? Talk to me after Halloween please. Here in MA, lots of nice riding left. I got 6 trips in February, out.

mtbr member
    Here in germany we just notice first signs of autumn: cool and damp in the morning. But I got a new jacket today and I have a thermal bottle coming my way, so I am preparing for "winter". Thanks to the warm gulfstream passing by winter means usually temps just below freezing level in the morning and just above in the afternoon, OR 10 above freezing level with lots of wind and rain. Especially the wind can be annoying, everything else can be solved with the right gear. Wind must be solved with a light gear. And fenders are needed throughout the entire year.

Edit: oh yeah I got a reflektive high-vis buff last month already. Not to be seen but I always loose the black ones in my wardrobe, bags, etc...
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 08-30-2015 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Not even in sight yet. Although I have been planning, pricing and sorting winter gear. Things usually don't go too sideways until late October, but with the projected El Niņo not sure how that's going to play out up here in the AZ mountains.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Not too bad in MN, it was hot all last week. The mornings have been cooler which I like anyways, fall is my favorite time of year. A trick I learned is start to acclimate to the weather leading up to winter. I usually dress down one layer vs dressing up one to stay sort of cool.

Now all my wool's will start to come out.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Bedwards Of The West
    I try to hold out on covering the arms until September, and the legs until October. Haven't gone long sleeves yet, but we're having a weird hot streak... high of 92 and a low of 50 today. That's a 42 degree spread!

CB of the East
    Yeah, all that talk about furnaces and kids college, who needs them? I just bought a new bike. YOLO

So far, other than starting to get dark early, our fall is starting as late as our spring did. I think our seasons got skewed by a month by some astrological climate drift. I'll take it.
    2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-capture.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Same here, the leaves are just starting to change, but it was a low of 37F today and a few places (not at my house) got frost earlier in the week. My hands froze on the a.m. dog woods walk, but shorts were fine riding. It helps that I don't start work til 9. Rebounding to 72 Sun/Mon.

Finally rolled out the winter ready Fargo this morning. Just in time for a wet ride in. No fall colors yet, the musty smell of wild plums on the ground is covered with the damp smell that follows several days of rain, the only Fall in the air is the Brrrrrt sound of rocks bouncing between the tires and fenders.

Moderator Moderator

. Winter commuting with caliper brakes is closer to insane. I'm good to 10 degrees (F) but skip the icy days or freezing precip days.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Commuting in a snow storm can be very relaxing, it is quiet, it can be pretty, and it can be an absolute nightmare at the same time. On the day that I commuted to work this past winter, it was snowing, and there were about 4" of unplowed snow. My fat bike tore right through it like a hot knife in butter. It was a blast. Well, it didn't stop snowing that day, and by the time I left work early, there was a foot + of unplowed snow. They were holding the plows back until it finished which doesn't make any sense to me but whatever.

The last mile of my commute home had me making a choice. Take my chance on more unplowed roads and a longer route home, or cut through the park which was guaranteed to not be plowed. I got stuck walking a 35 lb bike a mile through a foot of snow, and it was still snowing.

This winter I will be that much smarter in setting myself up so that there is not a repeat of this.

mtbr member
    Great pic TS. We don't get snow like that much over here (country grinds to a halt if we get a dusting

Been wet but not cold here yet. The weather may be on the turn but I'm still in shorts at the moment. Did have a buff and hat the other night and my hands were cold through my gloves but the legs were ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb_ATX840 View Post
    I'm going to see how long I can go, I hope I can make it at least through October! I would be happy to commute 9 months of the year.
    Mid Nov. still going!
    check out my youtube channel if you want: https://www.youtube.com/HACKANDRIDEBIKES

mtbr member
    Snow pellets on today's ride became spitting rain.

Did I catch a niner+?
    A rain thunderstorm today in MN. I am on my studded tires but fear they will not be needed until the middle/end of December. They're marathon winters they roll very well on dry pavement pumped up to 50 psi (29x2). They do tend to self steer on a turn, they do want to turn they want to keep going straight, no dangerous just a tighter grip at the wheel.

I might commute on my fat bike a couple times this year, I much prefer to have fenders and studded tires when I am out and about. I prefer to leave the fat bike for lake riding, snowy dirt paths and our beloved river bottoms.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Managed to squeeze in one last ride before the snow hits tonight and temps plummet for the remainder of the week.

Rode up the backside of the hill on the paved trail, then down on the single track. It hadn't occurred to me that the north side, with the single track, gets no sun til I was a hundred yards down the trail. Nothing but rocks and snow (ice). Made it down without incident. I won't be able to ride that trail for a few weeks til tonights 10" TO 12" of snowfall melts off.

Got some new tights for the remainder of the week which is not expected to get about 40 degrees. Guess I better put the studded tires on.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I am on my studded tires but fear they will not be needed until the middle/end of December.
    I`m not even going to mount mine this year. Doing my part to make it snow as much as possible!
    Recalculating....

Did I catch a niner+?
    2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-2008-02-05.gif

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^

they do sound like you're dragging a length of chain along behind you on anything but packed snow.

mtbr member
    Snowing on my way to work, 4"s snow on the way back, 10 degrees....Quiet, pretty , and fun..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-dscf0174.jpg  

2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-dscf0175.jpg  

2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-dscn3416.jpg  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^

they do sound like you're dragging a length of chain along behind you on anything but packed snow.
    They make me think of frying bacon.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Today's corollary to "the wind is a hill with no soul" - ""a gusty wind is a hill with a cliff"

Met Office experts give advice on cycling during Storm Barney - Cycling Weekly

CB of the East
    ^^That article couldn't have said less. Actually it could have:
    - Strong gusts can blow you off course
    - If it's too windy, stay home.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Gonna need support now. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day in the 40's and sunny. It is currently 32°F and the snow is falling with 4-8" expected today. What a huge turn of the weather here. At least two days a week I will be forced to ride now because of working at Jimmy John's. Their call in policy is strict so weather doesn't play into the scenario in their eyes. Gonna have to HTFU and just remember rule #9.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah here is the thread....
    Looking to see what Rodar y Rodar is doing since we are actually having a real winter this year!!! Already FEET of snow in the mountains and lots of stuff sticking around down here at 4500' in Carson City. Need recommendations on shoe covers, leggings, and upper body stuff. Old stuff was broken out last night but some is torn and others are way too big (as that was 2yrs ago and about 30lbs).

Bedwards Of The West
    Northeast CA here... not far from you over there in Carson (susanville).

I've used winter tights under rain pants for several years with good success for the cold, but I just got some of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Wind...ords=4ucycling

and they are performing really well. Used them this morning at 16 degrees with just a pair of liner shorts underneath. They're going to be seriously warm with the winter tights underneath.

Upper body I use a softshell jacket. It's all about being windproof.

On the feet I use regular socks under neoprene socks, and normal cycling shoes with Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier shoe covers. use shoes that are too big for circulation, otherwise numb toes are a given.

Loving this return to having a winter!

2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-screen-shot-2015-12-14-9.23.43-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Cliffside Park, NJ (07010) Forecast | Weather Underground

What's cold? I started adding layers in November and began removing them this month. At one point I used a base layer, warm long sleeve jersey, and jacket coupled with shorts and middleweight tights. Heavy socks and/or two layers. I'm down to chamois tights and a jersey; next week I may eff it and break out the short sleeve jerseys. Bought a closeout Giro rain jacket a few months ago and can't wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ah here is the thread....
    Looking to see what Rodar y Rodar is doing since we are actually having a real winter this year!!! Already FEET of snow in the mountains and lots of stuff sticking around down here at 4500' in Carson City. Need recommendations on shoe covers, leggings, and upper body stuff. Old stuff was broken out last night but some is torn and others are way too big (as that was 2yrs ago and about 30lbs).
    I bit the bullet last year and bought Lake 145 winter riding shoes but still layer with them because they're on the light end of winter boots. We get pretty good temp swings in the midwest so adaptability is key. I've got both toe warmers and full neoprene boot covers. If it's wet I use gators from REI to close the gap between the boots and PI Amphib tights. I use PI Lobster claws but it I rode colder than 10F I'd go to the farm store and get some ATV hand covers (way cheaper than pogs). I have three different weight balaclavas and an insulated snowboard helmet for those real cold rides.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Commuterboy! Yeah loving this return back to what winter USED to be like. For those pants did you go up a size? I normally hang right around 180-185lbs so thinking their 2XL size but wondering if I should jump it up for an extra layer.. Ultimately the legs are doing the most work so they are keeping themselves warm for the most part.

Gotta dig out my balaclava and invest in a new softshell jacket this year or wear my puffy. Might have to take a run to Sierra Trading Post this weekend to see what all is on sale right now.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm 6'2" and around 200lbs, and I went with the XXXL. very weird sizing. They fit me good though. There is a drawstring in the waist, so it's not super critical. I got some guidance on sizing reading the reviews....

mtbr member
    If it's below 20F here I layer some winter leg warmers under my winter bibs with wind/water resistant cycling pants. For my feet, I use cheap thick wool socks as shoe covers. Pull them over your shoe and cut a hole for the cleat and treads. A pair will last two winters. Of course, wool socks in the shoes, too. Below 0F I throw on a pair of 3/4 wool tights over the leg warmers and under the bibs.

*Note: my tolerance for cold is greater than most.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I have those pants and I am 5' 9" and the sizing is weird, I ended up with the XXL. They are rather long I thought so keep that in mind, you might have to hem them a bit.

I only use them on the coldest of cold days though most of the time I am in 3/4 pants with long wool socks, I must be dead from the waist down...

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Mine feel on the short side for me. I think they use the same length for several sizes, with just a change in waist size. I could be wrong...

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah see it has been in the teens in the mornings lately with highs in the 30s-40s with more snow to come. So yeah I will need something that will do some good protecting. I am 6', 180ish with a 33" waist so thinking the 2XL is the way to go for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Finally caved and bought myself some clip-less shoes (my steamroller came with SPD-SL pedals) and neoprene booties so I could get more commutes in this year. My weak link has always been my feet so hopefully this will improve that situation. Just got hit with a cold spell here in Flagstaff so I can't wait for these to come in and hopefully they fit. I'm in the restaurant biz so riding home is usually well after sundown and that makes for a cold ten miles. I go for bib tights plus another pair of running tights overtop, a good base layer, a slim down jacket and a breathable hard shell. Here's to winter riding shenanigans

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah see it has been in the teens in the mornings lately with highs in the 30s-40s with more snow to come. So yeah I will need something that will do some good protecting. I am 6', 180ish with a 33" waist so thinking the 2XL is the way to go for me.
    I have a 36 waist and a 32in inseam with XXL and they are a good fit, I had a set of the XXXL and it was just too big and I also tried the XL which felt like a M.

weirdo
    Heya, Greg. I`m digging the snow we`ve had so far, but although it`s more than we`ve had in the last few years, does it really seem like "what winter used to be like" to you? It still seems a bit under "average" to me, though sure as hell better than it`s been! Really hoping for a killer Feb and March to start filling the lakes back up again

Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I started adding layers in November and began removing them this month. At one point I used a base layer, warm long sleeve jersey, and jacket coupled with shorts and middleweight tights. Heavy socks and/or two layers. I'm down to chamois tights and a jersey; next week I may eff it and break out the short sleeve jerseys.
    Funny when it works like that! Don`t get to wound up about it though, cause it can just as easily turn around again.
    Recalculating....

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Heya, Greg. I`m digging the snow we`ve had so far, but although it`s more than we`ve had in the last few years, does it really seem like "what winter used to be like" to you? It still seems a bit under "average" to me, though sure as hell better than it`s been! Really hoping for a killer Feb and March to start filling the lakes back up again
    LOL.. yeah that is the thing.. I really DONT remember what winter is like around here anymore.. Definitely nice that it is sticking around with the temps and that we are going to get some more next week. Should be interesting in the next month for sure. This morning was chilly at 27* with merino base layers, shorts, jersey, thin jacket and thick socks on. Looks like I need to put my "winter body" on again! LOL

Did I catch a niner+?
    2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-12346414_10153825152184802_1878437746661010435_n.jpg
    Last nights MN bar scene....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice pic, great scene.

Moderator Moderator
    The lack of snow is leading to some desperate and hilarious measures here in VT:
    https://www.facebook.com/SmugglersNo...92298/?fref=nf

Did I catch a niner+?
    Couldn't do it, I gotta have a beard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From yesterday's ride in...lovely hardpack over gravel, luckily one of the other guys at work lives a few blocks away from me so I can avoid the riding home in the dark in the teens... cheating I know.

mtbr member
    *deleted*
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 12-18-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: wrong thread

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    From yesterday's ride in...lovely hardpack over gravel, luckily one of the other guys at work lives a few blocks away from me so I can avoid the riding home in the dark in the teens... cheating I know.
    You can call it cheating if you want to, but I don`t see it that way.

Flagstaff? When I first saw the picture I thought it was NorCal.
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    This lack of snow has been great. I know that some of you are disappointed, so my apologies to you. I am still riding to work and will continue to especially since the roads have been clear. Absolutely love riding a fast skinny tire bike to work vs a heavier wide tire bike. My mountain bike is set up with the studded tires and it is just sitting there. It's like when you buy a new snow blower, and you get no snow. We had some heavy flurries and a whiteout yesterday for like 10 minutes. By the time I left the store, there was a 5 car pileup and most of it had melted already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    You can call it cheating if you want to, but I don`t see it that way.

Flagstaff? When I first saw the picture I thought it was NorCal.
    Flagstaff indeed...lots of big pines here too.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    This lack of snow has been great. I know that some of you are disappointed, so my apologies to you. I am still riding to work and will continue to especially since the roads have been clear. Absolutely love riding a fast skinny tire bike to work vs a heavier wide tire bike. My mountain bike is set up with the studded tires and it is just sitting there. It's like when you buy a new snow blower, and you get no snow. We had some heavy flurries and a whiteout yesterday for like 10 minutes. By the time I left the store, there was a 5 car pileup and most of it had melted already.
    Since I got back into cycling last year, I have become much less a fan of the snow. It just gets in the way of my riding. I may actually sell a coupe of my bikes to buy a Fat Bike for next winter to commute on. I hate not riding, it makes me grumpy! I'd rather go slow than not ride at all. However, given that it too me more 50% longer to commute yesterday, I can't imagine a fat bike being any slower and can fully believe it will be faster.

Heck, even with studded tires, there were a few hairy moments on the way home last nite!

No way I'm ditching my beard in the winter. It keeps my face warm so I don't need a balaclava. Stays on from November to March.

mtbr member
    For the last ~5ish winters my go-to gloves have been some $15 snowboard gloves, and with two liners they'll get me down to -25C/-15F. Below that I've got some fancy gortex ones, but I try to save them for special occasions.

The old gloves are getting pretty beaten up - holes and packed down insulation - so I picked up some cheap replacements last week.

I also got some boots last spring. Normally I ride in oversized shoes with a bunch of layers of socks, but I figured I'd finally give the whole boots-thing a try.

So today was the first ride with the new gloves and boots, and it was pretty much a failure. It was only -15C/5F, but after 2 1/2 hours I was done, and I was freezing. Blech.

The boots are size 13, when I normally wear 11. But just wearing a single thick sock I wasn't able to wiggle my toes. I knew that would be bad news when I set out, and I was right. I'll try the boots again with a thinner sock, but after that they'll get relegated to dogpark duty.

Trails are in great shape, though.

Moderator Moderator
    Make the switch from car to bike commute this winter: Here's how https://www.minnpost.com/line/2015/1...nter-heres-how

Moderator Moderator
    Cold Tip #457
    I learned yesterday that gorilla tape does not stick at all at -10F. I typically use some for covering a recharging port on a tailight and tried to replace the piece that was getting old with a fresh piece of tape - nothing doing. Someone at work used to work in the arctic, and she recommended electrical tape instead; even if not super sticky in the cold, the stretchiness/tension helps. Adding a small roll to my backpack.

mtbr member
    Spring is coming though it was 17 F going to 21 F today. Proof from 2 weeks ago (before the last two storms):

2015/16 Cold/Wet Winter Commute Support Thread-imag0383.jpg

Snowdrops. Very optimistic snow drops.

mtbr member
    Hey all checking in.

I've ridden almost every day this winter. Averaging just over 10 miles a day 7 days a week. Coldest was a month ago. My son and I rode single track for about three hours at -10F to -15F. The only thing I did different than my normal commute was put chemical warmers in my boots.

LOTS of people at work in the locker room asking me how I do it. I can honestly say I have not been cold once.

Nothing miraculous clothing wise. I did not need to buy much because I already had winter gear (because I'm Minnesotan) and I snowmobile. But none of that gear is particularly high end or cutting edge tech.

The only clothing I really bought was new, smaller, warmer boots.

Bike gear.....completely different story. I bought a fat bike and studded tires for my skinny. Then I realized I didn't really need the fat bike most of the time but it felt safer on ruts etc and I was enjoying the ride more. Then I realized I'm scared to death of ice so I bought studded fat tires. $$$$$

The article in mtbxplorer post mentions Theodore Wirth. That is the tar bike path I ride to work and huge bonus there is about 15 miles of single track that runs parallel that I can choose to hop on if I'm feeling frisky.

I'm enjoying the ride. (mostly)

Jeff
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    -15F :8 your son must be a tough one!

I've been off the bike more than usual this winter. Shoulder surgery in October started things off badly and both shoulders are having arthritis issues, but the main issue is that I can't risk a fall for a while. In the meantime I've been training to ruck march a 1/2 marathon (the National Guard Marathon in Lincoln in May). My Husky and I did a 6.5 miler today (13F) with a 1/2 weighted ruck (20 lbs). I need to dial in my socks better, but we were averaging 14 minute miles which is my desired pace for the 1/2.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Forster, pm me your address and preference (Men - Darn Tough Socks) if you need a pair of VT-made Darn Tough sox - I will hook you up!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Forster, pm me your address and preference (Men - Darn Tough Socks) if you need a pair of VT-made Darn Tough sox - I will hook you up!
    That's really nice of you. PM sent.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    -15F :8 your son must be a tough one!
    +1 to that. Sign him up here so we can rep him!

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Shoulder surgery in October started things off badly and both shoulders are having arthritis issues, but the main issue is that I can't risk a fall for a while. In the meantime I've been training to ruck march a 1/2 marathon (the National Guard Marathon in Lincoln in May).
    Hang in there, Forster. I take it the weight of a ruck isn`t too bad for you shoulders and they just can`t deal with impacts in the event of some kind of fall?
    Recalculating....

Rodar, the ruck weight is mostly on my hips. I'm using a Mystery Ranch pack I borrowed from the EOD guys that work nearby and it's got a heavily padded hip belt plus the shoulder straps are adjustable for width (distance apart). The issue with my left shoulder is all around the joint and carrying weight on the shoulders hasn't been a problem, but wearing a camelback on a bike is currently out of the question.

weirdo

So, how much longer for everyone?

Choking on the cold weather still reported by you northeners. We`re not entirely done with winter yet here in northern NV, but spring is definitely on the way. According to Accuweather, our daily av low/high is 24F/44F from Dec 18 through Jan 2, both rising gradually since then. I found another website that claims average precip as a massive 1.02 inches each for the months of Dec through Feb (couldn`t find a specific snowfall record, but that precip should be pretty indicative). I had thought that most snow here was historically in Feb/Mar, so minus one point for me on that!

What about the rest? When is your coldest time and your snowiest/wettest time? Will New England, Alaska, and Alberta EVER thaw?
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    I'm actually hoping for some more real winter before spring moves in. The trails were at their perfection for exactly 1 day so far. But, it is what it is. No storms in sight. A few cold mornings are in the forecast, around 10F. I went around the lake this morning because the top would be a slushy mess.