1yr daily commuting on a fat bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

1yr daily commuting on a fat bike

I get asked about my Specialized Fat Boy basically daily while commuting on it. Obviously it's unconventional in general, but particularly as a commuter. So why, after a year of daily commutes, am I still convinced it is the best Option?

Background: commuted off and on for the last decade or so. Started on an REI townie 29er commuter. I found I loved nothing more than running down a lycra clad rider on an expensive road bike. I ended up going to a more road bike focused Giant commuter with a race tires and carbon. That worked on good pavement for awhile.

Then I moved to Hawaii. This is place where a rubicon Wrangler is perfectly at home on the roads and my commute became a series of treacherous transitions. With a loaded backpack I was probably 225lbs on the bike. Blowouts and scary moments were the norm.

A visit to the bike shop for some armadillos lead to the Fat Boy coming home.

What do I love? Flexibility on the commute. Up curbs, down, over big transitions, no fear of bad asphalt, and a plush ride. I ride for fitness not for speed, so losing a fee mph is not a concern, but this bike is surprisingly light and speedy. I still surprise and overtake roadies. My best commute avg speed was around 17mph on the giant, down to 14-15mph on the fat bike.
    Still on the original tread and tubes with zero flats.

Most importantly I still want to ride it in the weekend with my son! Maybe I just stumbled onto perfect ergos, but I can't see myself switching anytime soon. I flat out love this bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am glad that it is working out for you. Tried it as a daily here for me and it was miserable. There are nights where I just want to fly home, like in the upper 20 to low 30mph range, and the fat bike just won't do it for me. They are a blast to ride no doubt about it. Hard to erase that smile off of your face once you start rolling those fatties down the road. Still have not taken mine off road as a mountain bike but that should change here once the trails are ready.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

CB of the East
    I guess it depends on how far you go. I wouldn't want to do the 22miles/day on the road on my Fat Boy but the 16 through the woods is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am glad that it is working out for you. Tried it as a daily here for me and it was miserable. There are nights where I just want to fly home, like in the upper 20 to low 30mph range, and the fat bike just won't do it for me.
    Yeah, I think you are talking about an e-bike there. Or you live at the bottom of a hill. Or you are in a pro peloton on a flat course....'cause 30mph sustained on a bike is pretty high.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

1yr daily commuting on a fat bike

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I guess it depends on how far you go. I wouldn't want to do the 22miles/day on the road on my Fat Boy but the 16 through the woods is great.
    True! My commute is 5.5 miles each way. It has never been more than 8miles.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Yeah, I think you are talking about an e-bike there. Or you live at the bottom of a hill. Or you are in a pro peloton on a flat course....'cause 30mph sustained on a bike is pretty high.
    No e-bike for me, ever. I do not have an issue with riding for some portions of my commute in the mid to upper 20mph range. Between a carbon endurance 11 speed road bike and my 48:15 fixed gear bike, those speeds are achieved rather easily. Max speed last night on my commute home was 28.6 mph. It is really flat here so that helps, as does a lack of traffic at night and several straight segments of my commute that are uninterrupted.

CB of the East
    Oh, Max, I thought you were talking about average.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Average is often in the low to mid 20's depending on the ride and obviously goes down the more stop lights you hit. Some rides are slower, some faster. I don't really know how to go slow and have fun because that isn't really having fun.