1x9 Commuter?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 1x9 Commuter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

1x9 Commuter?

Anyone running a 1x9 set up on at MOUNTAIN BIKE as a commuter? What are you running up front and in back? Whenever I ride I never use the small and middle front chain rings, so I'm thinking I might ditch them, and possibly get a little bit larger chain ring up front(48t right now). Just wondering what others are running. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    34T in the front and 11-32 in the back.

How fast do you want to go? 34T/11T in the back is 19mph at 80RPM. It does get a little too easy on the downhills, but in those cases I just coast. Use this site to help you decide:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm 1x8 with a road double up front... 50 tooth front, 12-32 out back. I have one hill that kicks my butt, but it's good for me.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    1x8 here..32 on front with a 11-32 cassette...enough for me...my hills are doable with it and the streets I ride are not fun to be speeding so I'm fine with my cruiser speeds too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't have cadence on my cheap computer, so i'm not sure what my rpm usually is. If I'm on flat ground I can usually hold 19ish mph in my biggest gear (48-13 I think). I'm also riding platform pedals, so that's a little disadvantage. My commute would be about 18 miles one way, so the faster the better. Thanks for input so far.
    Last edited by MTI3Rmember; 03-19-2010 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    This is slightly OT as it isn't a MOUNTAIN BIKE. May be helpful. Well intentioned, at least.

The errand bike/commuter (when I commute for real) is a well-built 62 cm 4020 Schwinn road bike circa 1986. It is now a 1 x 9, 42T, 11-34 with 700C x 35, (the large ring now a detoothed battered old 52 polished up as a chain guard. With panniers and racks it is about 35 pounds. I had 9 effective ratios when it was 2 x 7 and some hard to get. Loaded with fruit from the orchard or items from a quick grocery run, I have used the 11 a couple of times with favorable winds and the 34 a few more uphill into 20 mph headwinds. This is a very erect posture bike and the panniers and front box are as aero as a barn door. Mostly, I am up and down in the middle 5. We are not flat here like Champaign Illinois, nor would we qualify as hilly by Pacific NW or SE Minnesota standards. The 144 BCD crankset will go only to a 41, so a new crankset & BB will be needed when I no longer can crank the switchback grade up to the house with a load in 42-34. No biggie I have owned that Sugino since 1972, the 42 chainwheel was a NOS I had sitting around for 20 years for when the original wore out. Pannier-less and on a 25 mile ride, I came close to my 18 mph average with the other bike and was mostly in the top four and I have faster ratios with the 42 than I had before with the 48 courtesy of the wide cassette. I was leery to go this route, but am very glad I did. I love the ratio spacing and the simple shifting. Maybe a Rohloff IGH would be better, but I could build a nice 29'er or Cross for the price of that hub.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 34 front with a 32-11 rear on my Fargo. I'm thinking of stepping up to the 36 front to gain a little on the top end. The ratio has been good for commuting through the snow in the winter and riding the trails in the summer.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think 38T on front is better...

mtbr member
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4143584/[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I used my 29er 1x9 to commute last summer I just took the 44t off of one of my other bikes and stuck it where the bash was on my ss crank and just put the chain on there manually. It worked fine in a mildly hilly area.

Members who have read this thread: 0