1st day commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1st day commuting

Built up an ebay carbon frame mtn bike to use as a road/mtn/commuter bike. I'm a teacher so the original goal was to start commuting 2 - 3 times a week to school. Unfortunately, to make a long story short our school was flooded during Hurricane Irene and the area I was going to use to shower/change was partially ruined.

Finally the shower area and locker are at least usable but of course I coach a spring sport so despite the weather I haven't had the days that I can dedicate the time to commute + I keep all of the sports equipment in my car. I decided the other day I would leave some equipment at school get all of my biking/work gear together and actually bike to work today

My commute 1 way is 16 miles with about 650 of climbing, so not too bad. I did it in a little over an hour although I got to work and realized my rear brake was rubbing a ridiculous amount. I thought I felt slow on the road but I haven't been able to ride a lot with coaching, I didn't get a lot of sleep the night before, and I didn't eat anything. So I assumed that was why. The tire was barely turning when I spun it so it was really really grabbing, I have no idea how long I rode like that - probably the entire 16 miles.

Now we'll see how the ride home is. I still have to coach practice so I'll be home quite a bit later then I'm used to. There is also quite a bit more climbing on the way back due to the elevation different between the 2 towns.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Bedwards Of The West

Another teacher here. Hope you can work out the equipment/schedule thing and make it work long term.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Luckily (for commuting) the season will be over in a few weeks and then I'll be able to commute whenever I want until the end of the school year. 1 problem right now is I have matches going on, so even if I wanted to commute it's not really practical b/c I wouldn't be able to leave school until 8pm or so. Since I'm getting up a little after 5am I just can't commit to getting home after 9pm.

since 4/10/2009
    congrats for finding a way to make it work (at least partially).

you might find a good use for a cargo trailer to move some sports equipment by bike. no idea how much you've gotta deal with, but it might be doable.

teaching has always been an option for me after I got my master's degree, but more and more it looks like that's going to be the biggest market for my skills (biology and environmental science).

weirdo
    Cool!
    I`d be happy to get a rolly 16 miles in an hour even without the rubbing brake

mtbr member
    Here are my rides - I broke them up into 2 separate rides just because of the difference in time between the 2 rides. Anyone else you a computer and Strava? Do you combine a morning commute with a afternoon commute home for 1 route or do you break yours up into 2 separate rides?

Bike Ride Profile | - Home to work near Richmondville | Times and Records | Strava

Bike Ride Profile | - Work to home near Middleburgh | Times and Records | Strava

Fat-tired Roadie
    I log them as separate rides. For me, a ride with pauses would be something like stopping at the grocery store or for a donut. And I set them as private most of the time because my friends were annoyed with the spamming of the same ride over and over again.

EDIT: TBH, I got bored of logging them too. I do track them as part of my training volume, but I find it a lot more convenient to keep a spreadsheet of my own. I only log time and workout type, and I guesstimate to quarters or tenths of an hour.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I think if I was commuting everyday or just riding in general more than 3 - 4 times a week I would get bored logging them too. Especially if it was the same ride over and over. I do like keeping track of my monthly totals though, it pushed me to increase either my frequency of rides per month, or mileage, or time. Anything to keep my motivation up. I also don't have a road bike so I kind of keep distance in perspective - I'm not going to be able to do as many miles in the same times as guys I "follow" on Strava who are using road bikes.

mtbr member
    Picture from my commute
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st day commuting-539979_10150865314343086_535298085_11831387_1285904739_n.jpg  

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hey qdawgg, off topic question...can you explain your sig?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Hey qdawgg, off topic question...can you explain your sig?
    Not a problem - it's mostly a joke. Between 29ers and SS riders there are a lot of riders who are "hardcore" about those 2 particular things. The one thing I've heard from some SS riders is that it's like going back to the "roots" of biking. I have a lot of respect for SS riders but I've been mtn biking since I was 12 (22 years) and my first bike had 18 gears, I believe. Never once did I say to myself that it would be cool to have less gears. However, when I ride I do try to keep all of my tough riding in the middle chainring and I realize the benefit of training on a SS bike. It's really mostly a big joke though, I know riding a SS bike would be really tough to do over varying terrain so obviously that's not being a wuss.

Members who have read this thread: 0