1st Day on the Commute- Mtbr.com
    What It Be ?

1st Day on the Commute

Decide last night i'm gonna start riding into work. I have an older Schwinn Passion I converted to single speed. Been riding it around town and on longer road rides. Commute is around 16 miles round trip. Few decent climbs between home and work. Felt damn good to get out of the car and out of that grind.

Also save some gas money for longer trips to the woods on the weekends.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    fixin to do my 1st commute myself... fairly short work day... and it's only about 15 miles round trip so an easy roll... bought a bike specificly to commute but need to tweak a few things... so my redline rolls today... got my blinkies and head lamp ready to roll... should be a fun 1st time out... will see how nasty I am when I get there and how long it takes to get decent.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

No-Brakes Cougar
    Congrats to both of you for joining the hordes of bicycle commuters!

Chris - It really does feel good, doesn't it? I find now that whenever I have to go somewhere in the car, I get stressed out a lot easier. No matter how much physical exertion it takes, it seems like bike commuting is far more relaxing and stress-free.

Don - As I mentioned above, I think you'll find bike commuting much easier than driving. It's a great way to work off stress, both before and after work. It's relaxing to the point of being almost Zen-like!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Cool! Good luck to both of you.
    Chris J- what`s a Schwinn Passion? I`ve never heard of that model.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    was a nice ride... ride home was awesome... 1st time in a very long time of riding at night... my light was just about the lowest end of the spectrum i'd feel safe riding with though (12w 6v halogen) ride is much cooler at night... but i'm sure not carrying that huge backpack on my back would halp a lot for the day time ride...

i'm a camelbak guy but with the backpack couldn't use it.... I discovered how much often I realy drink while I ride...

biggest thing I found was the extra time involved... the ride itself takes a little over 2x as long (about 30 min or so... but the time to lock the bike, clean up, change clothes all adds a good bit of time... same with the time to get changed and the bike ready for leaving...

I think it's something i can do a bit more often... unfortuantly that extra 40 min it takes to get to work will keep me from doing it as often as I'd like to do tight scheduling with my wifes job and mine + kids :-/

ultamatly the the real reason to commute will be that ride home... even though I was sore and tired leaving from work hopping on the bike was just nice... not being able to see my speedo was also nice haha... I hope to get it to where I can ride at least a few times a week... sadly tonight it won't be happening
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

No-Brakes Cougar
    A few times a week is more than never, at least!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup... and gets some miles... been 3 weeks sence I've been able to ride even... stupid schedule + moving + cross country drives suck
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

What It Be ?
    2 Days in a row.

I guess i'm lucky in that aspect. I work for the County in a bus repair shop. Work in parts. Don't have to get all dressed up in a suit and tie. Cintas shorts and a blue t-shirt.

Donalson. I used a camelbak hawg to put my cloths and lunch in. I leave the bladder at home and bring a bottle. My commute is just shy of thirty mins so not as long as yours.

As far as lights go. I have a tail blinker. And I am using my Stella 200, its great I have used it at several 12 hour races and a 24 hour. No worries on not being able to see there.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    my light was just about the lowest end of the spectrum i'd feel safe riding with though (12w 6v halogen) ride is much cooler at night
    That isn`t super bright, but I would think it`d be enough for comfort. Maybe you could overvolt it to 7.2 and get some more out of it.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya it's not super bright like you said but enough for on the road... much over 20mph it could be a bit better but for the rest of the time it was fine... def not something i'd want to use out on the trail... will prob eventualy upgrade it to LED... but that'll wait
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    During the summer I ride every good weather day I can, mine is 15 miles round trip. But I get the feeling that a lot of people make this kind of trip without breaking a sweat. Granted, I'm not dripping when I get there, but I do feel pretty moist, to the point I need to take a shower. Luckily there is one in my building. Should this be a more easy ride, where I don't need to shower? The whole thing is very slightly up hill, but nothing major.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya i sweat A LOT... doesn't make for a pretty sight post ride
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

No-Brakes Cougar
    I don't know, I sweat even in winter! That's just me I suppose. 15 miles is over twice my round trip commute, so I think you're doing OK. Any time you raise your heart rate, you're going to start sweating, even if it's not terribly hot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    I don't know, I sweat even in winter! That's just me I suppose. 15 miles is over twice my round trip commute, so I think you're doing OK. Any time you raise your heart rate, you're going to start sweating, even if it's not terribly hot.
    Thanks, I figured so, just checking.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Dec 2007
    I started commuting again two weeks ago when all our trails around here flooded. (I had to get my fix somehow.) I bought an older, but like new, rigid MTB, slaped some fenders and a blinkey on it and started riding it to work rain or shi... well, rain... we haven't had any 'shine' in a few weeks. I had forgotten how enjoyable an early morning road ride can be, even in the rain. (BTW, I must be honest and say that I'm commuting not to save money, gas, or the environment... I'm doing it for my own selfish pleasure... though I do like those side effects)

It's almost always very humid here and my route has several strenuous climbs, so, I'm dripping with sweat when I get to work. I have a small fan at my desk, and since I get to work 30 to 45 mins before anyone else, I just turn the fan on me, and after about a 15 or 20 minute cool down period and I've stoped sweating, then I go wipe down with some baby wipes and put on some dry clothes. (yes, i do get some work done during this cool down time)

I've also started using the bike for around town errands too. And, even when the trails are ridable again, I don't see myself driving my truck to work very often any more...I'm enjoying the commute too much. I also take the long way home.

Tomorrow starts the first week of commuting in actual sunshine... I can't wait.

Mikey

What It Be ?
    I don't see myself driving my truck to work very often any more...I'm enjoying the commute too much
    x2 I love my car. But the bike takes over on the way to work.

Saving gas is a big thing my car gets about 16mpg. Also trying to drop about 10lbs not alot but this will help.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    ...Also trying to drop about 10lbs not alot but this will help.
    Yep, I lost about 20 lbs a little over a year ago but I'm stuck at 180. I need to drop about 15 to 20 more. I ride 6.5 miles to work and 14 the long way home (I also have a 4 mile loop I can do at lunch time if it's not too hot). Doing this 5 days a week should help me finaly break that 180 barrier, especially when our trails are ridable again. (It might help if I gave up beer, but I don't want to...though I have limited myself to partaking only on weekends)

Mikey

BTW, today was my first commute when the sun was shinning. Low 70s, low humidity, no wind, tons of wildflowers and birds singing...it was glorious!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    Yep, I lost about 20 lbs a little over a year ago but I'm stuck at 180. I need to drop about 15 to 20 more. I ride 6.5 miles to work and 14 the long way home (I also have a 4 mile loop I can do at lunch time if it's not too hot). Doing this 5 days a week should help me finaly break that 180 barrier, especially when our trails are ridable again. (It might help if I gave up beer, but I don't want to...though I have limited myself to partaking only on weekends)

Mikey

BTW, today was my first commute when the sun was shinning. Low 70s, low humidity, no wind, tons of wildflowers and birds singing...it was glorious!
    Wow, we're in the exact same predicament. I was 200 back in October, and I lost 20 lbs over the winter, and now I'm stuck at 180, and want to drop about 10 more.

Members who have read this thread: 0