1000 under cyclocross?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

1000 under cyclocross?

So I recently got back into biking and got me ant the wife hard tail mountain bikes. Well on the week days I end up riding on the streets and through grass parks sometimes around 10 miles. Its great on trails but would like a cyclocross style bike for week days. I live about 3-4 miles from work and would like to start commuting plus going on long rides. My lbs has a 2014 raleigh furley for 700 OTD or I was looking at the Red line conquest. I might want to do some low level racing but might not.

Is the furley a good deal? Im worried about the weight for longer rides and it being a SS. Any input would be appreciated.

My main goal is urban bike thats a good commuter that can also tackle grass parks and hard packed trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Furley has a lot of fans. Single speed is a different challenge, but, you can add gearing to the rear for around $100 if the hub will take it, more if you need to rebuild or replace the rear wheel. Weight means more to some people than others. Will the dealer let you rent the bike for a day to try it out over a few more miles?

The cx bike is a good starting point for all of the tasks you mention. Jamis Nova is another cx type for around $800.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The single speed won't be bad since I live in a flat area. The furley is tempting since the price seems decent but I'm not sure if its a good deal. Also I ride off curbs and sometimes stairs so the chromoly of the furley also is tempting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    $700 is a bit better than the internet prices I have seen lately. If you are riding stairs and curbs aggressively, rims and tires might take priority over frame material.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    $700 is a bit better than the internet prices I have seen lately. If you are riding stairs and curbs aggressively, rims and tires might take priority over frame material.
    Thats true. From reading it looks like the furley has steel rims. Not sure if that makes them bend easily or not.

jrm
    mtbr member
    sellwoods got the kona rove al for $700 2015 Kona Rove AL ? Sellwood Cycle Repair

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    sellwoods got the kona rove al for $700 2015 Kona Rove AL ? Sellwood Cycle Repair
    Its sais 875 but I do like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't know how racy the Rove AL is, but it is pretty sweet for the coin and might take bigger tires than the Furley.