1.5" Tires on my Hardrock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

1.5" Tires on my Hardrock?

Hey guys,
    Looking to put some commuter tires on my mountain bike (kenda kwests') and want to make sure they will fit. It's a 2010, and I can't get a rim width to judge on. The stock tires are 2" so I assume they will fit.

Do I need different tubes?

Thanks all.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The tires will fit.

Tubes will probably. However, depending on how they're sized, it's not always ideal. You want the tube to have to stretch a little to fill the volume inside the tire, so it doesn't have any folds or wrinkles. Too big a tube can be difficult to get into the tire without pinching.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I put the same tires on my bike and yes, get the right size tubes . You will notice right away how much faster you will go with the tires.

mtbr member
    +1 on the tubes. My commuter is a Ritchey Outback w/ 26x1.75. The bigger tubes are fine for my application but I think you'll need smaller for 1.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i'd replace the tube also. not all that expensive and one less thing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I had to stop in the shop and the said I shouldn't have to change tubes, being a specialized dealer (I've got a hardrock) I i assumed they were right. WRONG!
    I don't know why I doubted yall.

Between that recommendation and the saleslady saying "26'' bikes are just stupid anyway" I'm not sure that's going to be my go to shop here anymore.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Um, what?

What happened?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nothing bad, the tubes just didn't really fit into the tires.

Her comment about wheel size was separate.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
    Between that recommendation and the saleslady saying "26'' bikes are just stupid anyway" I'm not sure that's going to be my go to shop here anymore.
    ???
    Saleslady is just stupid.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
    Well I had to stop in the shop and the said I shouldn't have to change tubes, being a specialized dealer (I've got a hardrock) I i assumed they were right. WRONG!
    I don't know why I doubted yall.

I have jammed a 2.0 to 2.4 inch tube in to a 1.25 inch tire.....pretty hard to do....

mtbr member
    I think Specialized still sells bikes w/26" wheels. Sounds like she doesn't like to make money.

weirdo
    ^^Yeah, but they only sell 26ers to us stupid folk.

mtbr member
    The Kwests are a horrible tire. I had so many flats because the tire treads have those 2 little dimples in the center tread that will pick up tiny sharp rocks and pieces of glass. 7 flats in 2 weeks on the rear. No thanks. I switched to an armadillo and haven't had a problem since.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    They were free to me, and after one day everything seems fine in the city streets of Chicago. I don't see any dimples in the center tread, maybe they changed design? These are probably close to 6 years old.

weirdo
    I`ve got a 20 x 1.5 Kwest on the front of my recumbent. After about 1300 miles or so, I still haven`t ever gotten a flat on it. I just wish it rolled better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Using Ritchey TomSlick 26x1.4 on my late 90s Hardrock. But, won't recommend the Tomslicks sideways are starting to come apart and budge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamerson9 View Post
    Using Ritchey TomSlick 26x1.4 on my late 90s Hardrock. But, won't recommend the Tomslicks sideways are starting to come apart and budge.
    Tom Slicks weren't my favorite. I didn't have the sidewall bulging but the ride wasn't as good as the Maxxis tires I'm currently running.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Running Specialized Flak Jackets 26 x 1.25 on my Trek 4300. Just picked up a pair of Schwalbe Marathon GG 26 X 1.50's thinking about putting them on my 2003 Hardrock or my 2004 Stumpy.. not doing too much singletrack or MTB'ng lately..3 knee surgery's on two knees

Members who have read this thread: 0