1/2 my right foot felt like a cinderblock- Mtbr.com
    achiever

1/2 my right foot felt like a cinderblock

On my way home last night it was around 20 degrees with 15mph winds or so. My right foot was cold but by about mile 3 (of 6) the toe half of my foot was completely numb. I had normal cycling shoes on and a pair of booties. My left foot was fine as was the rest of me. When I got home, my smallest 3 toes on the numb foot were white compared to the toes on my other foot which were red.

I'm thinking I was about to get frostbite but I can't imagine why. Today I will be making sure socks, booties and shoes are warmed on a heater before I put them on. It's going to be 5 - 10 degrees colder and a bit windier. I hope this will help...

Any other suggestions or comments?

Red

Bedwards Of The West
    Neoprene socks. Been using them with normal cycling shoes for 4 winters, down to zero* F. Never lost a toe.

Also, make your shoes looser. Circulation is your friend. How tight are your booties? No blood, no heat.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    On my way home last night it was around 20 degrees with 15mph winds or so. My right foot was cold but by about mile 3 (of 6) the toe half of my foot was completely numb. I had normal cycling shoes on and a pair of booties. My left foot was fine as was the rest of me. When I got home, my smallest 3 toes on the numb foot were white compared to the toes on my other foot which were red.

I'm thinking I was about to get frostbite but I can't imagine why. Today I will be making sure socks, booties and shoes are warmed on a heater before I put them on. It's going to be 5 - 10 degrees colder and a bit windier. I hope this will help...

Any other suggestions or comments?

Red
    White, numb did they feel waxy....any peeling skin????

If you are gonna ride in the winter get winter cycling boots....

Hell they work fine all the way about to about +7 C.

achiever
    My foot is ok, not waxy and the skin was fine, but it was definitely lacking circulation to the smaller toes. I'll try the shoe a little looser and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Vapor barriers seem to be working for me. Neoprene socks for light duty and a real Vaportherm one for colder stuff. I ride in whatever temps nature throws at me in Wisconsin. It has taken years to get a working system in place. Very thin, silky liner sock, vapor barrier sock, winter cycling boot. I have two options for the vapor barrier depending on mood and temperature and Lake MXZ302 for when it's cold and Shimano MW80 shoes for when it's down to about 20 degrees.

One of the best things you could do right now is insulate your foot from your pedals. Go get some Reflectix, this Mylar covered bubble wrap, and use your existing insoles as a template and put this extra layer in underneath. It does take up a bit of space so your shoe is going to get a bit tighter, so having oversized shoes is helpful. This will keep the cleat from being a big heatsink.

Another option is to get some rubber overboots and cut a hole in the bottom for the cleat.

Bedwards Of The West
    What did your left foot feel like? Unless you had a crazy cross-wind, I'm thinking your issue HAS to be circulation related. 20 degrees just isn't the kind of cold that turns your foot into a cinderblock. I've ridden my 6 mile commute at 20 degrees with regular socks and normal cycling shoes (on accident when I left my neoprene socks at work). I will get tingly toes doing that, but nothing like what you're describing.

mtbr member
    I wear thin wool (Pearl Izumi) socks and booties, and it has worked down to single digits on multiple hour rides for me. I always make sure that my shoes are loose and allow good circulation. I used to have a hard time with the same set-up, but I would cinch my shoes up pretty tight.

mtbr member
    Also, I have noticed my fingers with those symptoms when it was in the upper 30s and 40s. It was due to lack of circulation because I was gripping the bars tightly on downhills and standing climbs.

achiever
    Definitely circulation. It's around 10 degrees now and I just got back a few minutes ago. Kept the shoes loose and both feet were toasty warm.

Thanks for all the advice!

weirdo
    Glad you found an easy solution!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    They're should be a winter commuting sticky with the best suggestions on how to dress.

Bedwards Of The West
    Yay! What do I win?

Members who have read this thread: 0