Itís getting cold, what footwear??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Itís getting cold, what footwear??

Only 47 degrees tonight on my commute in NH, but my toes were freezing. Love to hear what footwear people are going to wear this winter. I only just started bike commuting this may. I just wear running shoes now (I have 14 wide feet I gave up on cycling shoes long ago) plus I find itís just easier than packing extra shoes. Anyway, Iím open for suggestions for current winter shoes. (Yes I searched, just wondering what people are doing now) I have some faux fur lined winter boots, Iíll use those soon probably. Thanks!! Loving the bike commute!!! / hating the winter already!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fattycommuter View Post
    Only 47 degrees tonight on my commute in NH, but my toes were freezing. Love to hear what footwear people are going to wear this winter. I only just started bike commuting this may. I just wear running shoes now (I have 14 wide feet I gave up on cycling shoes long ago) plus I find itís just easier than packing extra shoes. Anyway, Iím open for suggestions for current winter shoes. (Yes I searched, just wondering what people are doing now) I have some faux fur lined winter boots, Iíll use those soon probably. Thanks!! Loving the bike commute!!! / hating the winter already!!

I've used Sorrels when it got really cold (below zero). Many trail running shoes are water and wind proof, use smart wool socks and they may be good down to around 35 f.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    I've ridden year round for 20 years in CT (singletrack...not a commuter). When it gets below 20degF I sometimes ditch the clip-ons and run with flats so I can wear warm boots.

Just pedaling in cold weather creates a draft that sucks heat away from toes...you don't need to be travelling fast. When using cycling shoes, I slip handwarmers inside shoes on top of my toes. I have a set of cycling shoe covers that barely fit over my size 12's...you will be challenged to find ones that will fit size 14. An alternative is duct tape which works great. I wrap the fronts and tops of my shoes which breaks the wind and keeps the heat contained inside shoe. I wrap it away from my cleats so they remain clear.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

Moderator Moderator
    Hi Fattycommuter, welcome, and how far/long is your commute? I think that makes a difference as to what you can get away with for footwear. I am next door in central VT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    7 ish miles. So under 30 mins. I do like the idea of a low top hiking shoe, not boot. Eventually Iíll have to switch to the boot (probably pretty soon actually). I work overnights, supposed to be 38 when I go home. Iíll try the duct tape idea posted earlier. Any idea with duct tape I like! As the weather turned from summer 80s to colder in the mornings, I have been able to easily adapt to the correct amount of layers top and bottom, this was the first time my toes got cold. I planned to do this all winter, except during the 1-3 weeks when itís below zero. I donít have that much drive! I appreciate the feedback.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Similar to my typical 8 miler. Right now I am using these insulated 5.10's, I love how they feel like sneaks. https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoes#start=16 When those are not warm enough I either add a disposable heat pack or switch to some bulkier winter Keens. I look for winter boots with a low profile sole as the vibram type can be less secure on the pedals. Another must is thick wool socks. A good tip is to always put on dry socks when you head out; even a little dampness from wearing the socks at work can quickly chill your feet.

Have fun! You are so right about the layers - if you adjust by 10 degree increments or so you can get the hang of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have the insulated Five Tens, and they work great down into the teens (maybe lower) so long as I stick HotHands toe warmers on my socks.

mtbr member
    I agree on warmer shoes and socks. In addition you could get some overshoes. Those protect against rain and wind. When you tuck in your pants you get a windtight so no cold air blowing into your shoes and pants etc.

Good luck and keep riding. You will learn to love winter because of the empty bikepaths/trails and beating the elements!

Human Test Subject
    I have wide feet and wear wide Lake MX 145s, MXZ303s, and the regular 400s depending on temp. The 303s are probably the best all around. I sometimes wear them up to 40 degrees with summer socks.

They go up to size 48

mtbr member
    Missed this thread. And maybe it's just as well.

Because I'll be attempting to keep my feet warm with Shimano MW7s, with an aerogel insole, *and* an electrical heating coil with an external battery pack. Sometimes I seriously put a shoe-cover over top, but things then start to get too wide for my crankset.

Failing all that, and sometimes it does, if I don't have the shoe covers on, I'll get off and run up on a hill or two.

If that sounds like overkill, a guy I ride with has the same setup with higher-wattage heaters, and the 45nrth W÷LVHAMMERs, and he still gets cold feet. And this is all in Toronto, where it isn't all that cold in the grand scheme of things.

So I hope your feet neutrally generate more heat than ours....
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration