$25 Video Camera- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

$25 Video Camera

Not too long ago I was looking online for helmet cameras so that I could record some of my bike rides. While I was doing the research for a decent, yet reasonably priced helmet camera, I came across some cheap spy sunglasses. I figured that at $24.35 I didn't have much to lose, so I ordered a pair and took them out for a spin. To my surprise they worked pretty well for what I was going to use them for, which is to occasionally document my bike rides. I figured that I'd share the results with you all. Keep in mind that the raw video is better than what ended up being posted after the upload and youtube conversion process.

Lessons learned:
    - Don’t move my head around as much.
    - Over exaggerate my head movement when I’m actually trying to get something on camera.
    - Read the instruction manual first so that the correct date is displayed before posting video for the world to see.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 05-11-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

weirdo
    That was a bargain! The audio leaves a lot to be desired, but the video was just fine IMO. Is that your daily commute? Wow, that`s a lot of turns! And I`m surprised how many other cyclists had helmets on- I had the impression that hardly anybody wore them in Europe. Last comment: If you aren`t going to offer help to a girl stopped to inspect her tire, at least invest a few seconds for oggling.

~Disc~Golf~
    link?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah the audio sucked, but you can clearly hear me breathing hard in the second video. I'm going to try putting a piece of tape over the mic hole next time and see if that helps out with some of the wind sound.

I was oggling a few chicks during that ride, but I didn't turn my head enough for the glasses to pick them up. You can see that I turned my head when I saw the one checking her tire. I was looking at her, but I didn't turn enough so that the glasses would pick her up.

No, this was not my regular commute. This was a Sunday afternoon ride, which explains why there was very little traffic. It's pretty cloudy and rainy right now. It even rained just after I finished recording my ride on Sunday. Once it clears up, I'm giong to record my regular daily commute.

I got the glasses off of eBay (I already had a micro SD card): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320474685879 Most of the sellers that offer the spy glasses are from China/Hong Kong so please make sure that the sellers have extensive and mostly positlve seller ratings if anyone decides to order one.
    Last edited by Solomon76; 05-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    neat! thanks for the info...very nice.

I'd try a piece of "mic foam" to cover the mic, from an old headset or something, that should help a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0