A$$ H@LE Drivers!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    I Have Cookies

A$$ [email protected] Drivers!!!!!

Or just one.... I commute every day but not long runs usually about 2 miles each way but some days I take long road rides after work on my Rockhopper I make an about 10-12 mile loop around the outskirts of town.....I was about two thirds through my ride on a two lane one way street in the left lane to the extreme left about to make a left turn. When I feel something brush up against my leg then a "Come on MAN!" it was a guy in a piece of crap accord with an attitude!! I turned to him and said "what's going on?" and he said "get of the road your blocking traffic!" Albeit it was a red light and I wasn't really "blocking" the way! What gives!!!??? I didn't say anything else and I tore off down the road never to see him again! (I Hope) I was so pissed!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ya. today i was biking with two others, in the bike lane, when a car proceeds to start to pull over, ok, fine. But then proceeds to slam on the brakes when right in front of us, almost causing all of us to crash. No idea what his deal was.

No-Brakes Cougar
    His car actually brushed you leg?!? That's really pushing your luck. Violence isn't always the answer, but I admit I would have a very hard time resisting the temptation to reach through the driver side window and punch his friggin' lights out. Yelling and honking is one thing, but that is complete, unforgivable [email protected]
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One reason I love moutain biking, of course now on the forest service roads you have people flying wheeee in their jeeps, the motorcross guys in groups of 20 burying you in dust and coming around corners out of control (almost hit twise with that one by 2 different bikers in the same rally.)
    But, in over 20 years on the road, I have had a gun pointed at me in the mountains on a road ride, bottles thrown, the passive aggresive stuff, the aggresive stuff and the drunk or distracted driver. Including being hit before.
    So, all I can tell you if you ride on the road just get used to it. Eventually, everyone has ethier been hit or has a friend that has been hit or killed. (no b.s.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds like assault. Should have gotten his license plate and called the police.

Today my friends and I went mountain biking. On the way back we were riding single file and got honked at by an old guy, got yelled at to get on the sidewalk... while riding in a bike lane, then got yelled at again by people in a house to get on the sidewalk. Sucks riding a single speed on the road, it makes it hard to chase drivers down and calmly explain the laws.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Sounds like assault. Should have gotten his license plate and called the police.

Today my friends and I went mountain biking. On the way back we were riding single file and got honked at by an old guy, got yelled at to get on the sidewalk... while riding in a bike lane, then got yelled at again by people in a house to get on the sidewalk. Sucks riding a single speed on the road, it makes it hard to chase drivers down and calmly explain the laws.
    I really wanted to get the lic plate but there was not enough time! If I stuck around I knew things were going to get ugly! If the light was longer I guess I could have pulled out my blackberry and got a few pics of the shmuck!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Absolutely, or a hit-and-run. Aggressive ba***rd should be arrested.

Funny, just came in from a group ride where we were twice yelled at to get off the sidewalk (on a stretch of highway where the road is not a healthy option.)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedEarl
    Funny, just came in from a group ride where we were twice yelled at to get off the sidewalk (on a stretch of highway where the road is not a healthy option.)
    I have heard of areas where it is actually legal to ride on the sidewalk when it is the only safe area to do so, but it's probably a local ordinance.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    This is why I bike heavily armed.
    Hot lunch is cooking in my saddlebag.

I Have Cookies
    Happy to report I did the same route yesterday and had no issues!!!

____
    Kimo

Double-metric mtb man
    I've had a few encounters on the road....most of the same ignorant type. Ride defensively and always look out for No. 1 (yourself).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Last week biking to school, I moved into the left lane to turn left. While waiting for traffic in the other direction to clear so I could turn, some [email protected]$$ in a Highlander comes up right behind me (probably 80 feet back), swerves into the other lane (good thing there was no traffic in my direction), lays on his horn, rolls down his window and screams "Get the %#@! out of the road!". I was a little pissed after that. Some people just don't get it. People get kinda pissed when I take the lane and line up centered behind the next car at traffic lights too.

May 2009
    This really pushes me towards wanting to ride my bike to work...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcurl
    This really pushes me towards wanting to ride my bike to work...
    It is true that we do encounter dildos out there on the road, but realistically we're talking infrequent at best. You will likely have many positive encounters with motorists and pedestrians in proportion to a few ass nozzles, it's just that the negative ones stick in your craw and become the most memorable.

I Have Cookies
    +1 Yep I agree......

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000
    Last week biking to school, I moved into the left lane to turn left. While waiting for traffic in the other direction to clear so I could turn, some [email protected]$$ in a Highlander comes up right behind me (probably 80 feet back), swerves into the other lane (good thing there was no traffic in my direction), lays on his horn, rolls down his window and screams "Get the %#@! out of the road!". I was a little pissed after that. Some people just don't get it. People get kinda pissed when I take the lane and line up centered behind the next car at traffic lights too.
    I guess he thiniks he owns the road. You probably are more even tempered than i am. I would have been cussing him out and letting him know he is number one. Luckily this has not happpened to me yet. I did encounter a very rude man one day on the bus. I did kick his ass. but i digress.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess I've been lucky. I have about a 6.5 mile ride in and so far no problems. Every now and then I yell at people waiting to pull out on the road so they see me. I give a little HEY!! and they turn their head and I go flying by. Probally pisses some off but better than getting hit

mtbr member
    I do a lot of my training on the road and I usually experience at least one driver who is threatened by my existence on the road. I also have a few cars pass as close as they can, otherwise no issues. I do ride on very busy and high speed streets for a few miles until I can get to more back roads. I have two lights on the back of my bike that have enough power I probable look like an ambulance. However, with today's texting and crap, I'm still worried about being tagged from behind.

I can promise you that if anybody brushed me like they did you that person would have to goto the hospital to get their steering wheel surgical removed from their a$$.

A few years ago, some high school students threw a textbook at a rider and paralyzed him. The kid spent 8 years in prison. He had a full ride scholarship to U of M. All lost for a split second of stupidity. These drivers don't realize the legal issues they can get themselves into.

responsible zombie owner

Ride Rage

I only have a short commute (4km round trip!) and most drivers will considerately move right over into the other lane to give me space, but there's always a few idiots: bus drivers who leave 2 inches space when they pass, or see you as they wait at a junction but pull out in front of you anyway and force you to slam the brakes (or them); lorry drivers who cut right in front of you after overtaking (so the draft practically sucks you under their wheels); car drivers who squeeze past to overtake you as you enter a roundabout...

The best advice is to ride defensively but I often find myself getting aggravated on the road. One time I followed the bus driver to his depot and swore I would report him to his manager if he pulled any of his stupid driving stunts again - I swore about a lot of other stuff as well, but he got the point that his moments of stupidity could = my death (and therefore = him losing his job and going to prison, which probably meant more to him).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The mentality of some drivers completely amazes me. I was almost side swiped by a semi, he bumped the curb infront of me after I locked up my brakes. I managed to find him in a parking lot about a mile ahead. I beat on his door and was going to throttle him but found him apologetic explaining that the car in the next lane almost side swiped him. I pointed out that if the car hits him, it's only sheet metal, while if he hits me, it's a pine box.

Single Speed Junkie
    I damn near pulled a teen out of their car last fall for just such an incident. They hit me while racing to a red light. Stopped and was joking about the event until I grabbed the little sh**. Guess it was not as funny as they thought. Guy in a large F-250 behind us saw the entire series of events. He jumped out of his truck checking to see if I was alright and put the teens in their place as well.

Any such event should be considered attempted vehicular manslaughter. I don't care how old the offensive drivers are try them as an adult because the end result for the cyclist is the same.

My Brain Hurts!
    I wonder if you will all respond to this like everyone else (non riders) has....

I think a car driver should have to re test every 5 years, If you fail, no license. Period. Get caught driving after losing your license, 90 days in the clink and a nice fine. If you are not smart enough to pass a drivers test, you are dangerous to the public at large and you do not have the privilege to drive. Driving is a privilege and not a right. As a driver of a vehicle, I'd agree to this. Heck, I just spent 50 bucks on an annual fishing license, how much can a drivers test every 5 years cost?

It also occurs to me that with all the extra money the States will rake in from this, they could run PSA and educational campaigns teaching drivers and cyclists alike the rules of the road.

Then maybe even the Police will learn the cyclists laws...

I do not know how feasible any of this is, but it does make me think....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Members who have read this thread: 0