Meta AM /TR pressfit BB creaking ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Meta AM /TR pressfit BB creaking ?

Hi all!

I've been looking at the 2020 Meta AM 29 and the only thing holding me back is the pressfit BB. I can't stand creaks on my bike, so I'm wondering what is your experience before buying one.

Any creaking from this area ? Which BB are you using ? I thought about using the Shimano plastic BBs so replacements wouldn't "stretch" the interference too much and might creak less.

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got about 250 miles on my TR with no issues although I do hate press fit BB's with a passion. It's the only thing on the bike that I don't really like. I'll replace it with a wheels mfg. or enduro BB that threads in when it dies. I've had pretty good results with both. Definitely less creaking out of my enduro than the wheels mfg. version.

mtbr member
    I think this issue is greatly overstated. The RF BB in my 15 Meta AM v4 never creaked once, and I never touched touched it. I went with the the wheels mfg threaded angular BB in my TR and it has also been flawless. I think the wheels mfg variety is the best bet if you never want to have to think about it. Frankly, I had more issues with threaded BBs over the years than I have had with PF thus far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Put a Shimano BB in mine when I brought it and not one issue yet after 2 full summer in whistler. My 2019 yt Tues came with a e13 BB and it's had bearing issues, not creaking though, but still it would be nice to simply unscrew it.. I think as long as you have a quality BB press fit frames are fine

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good to hear! Thanks for your answers.
    @jazza_wil which Shimano BB have you bought? I'm installing Shimano cranks and it seems like the XT BB would be the best choice.

Do any of you know if the SRAM dub BBs that come stock on the complete builds have nylon cups too? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    @jazza_wil which Shimano BB have you bought? I'm installing Shimano cranks and it seems like the XT BB would be the best choice.

Do any of you know if the SRAM dub BBs that come stock on the complete builds have nylon cups too? Thanks!
    I brought the Shimano BB-MT800 press fit bottom bracket from memory

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post

The Dub cups are metal, that was their trick to putting a larger bearing in as it acts as a race. You also don't need a press for the wheels threaded BBs which is nice.