Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!

Had a good press release on a few sites, but crickets since. This thing looks like a big mountain bruiser! Can't wait till some reviews and ride reports start dropping. Loving Commencal's direct to consumer value!

https://www.commencalusa.com/supreme...18-c2x23824591

Commencal Supreme SX first look - Mtbr.com

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    I'm pumped! I was trying to figure out how to make a DH 4.2 work for trail use and then this popped up. Now we just need some good metric shock options. Not much to fit the frame at this point.

Pricewise it's banging at $3700 for a complete bike. Nice spec too. Most bikes are pushing carbon and double the price. Nothing wrong with a well built alloy frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
    I'm pumped! I was trying to figure out how to make a DH 4.2 work for trail use and then this popped up. Now we just need some good metric shock options. Not much to fit the frame at this point.

Pricewise it's banging at $3700 for a complete bike. Nice spec too. Most bikes are pushing carbon and double the price. Nothing wrong with a well built alloy frame.
    Yep, agreed on all counts. Cane Creek metrics are due in a few months, Fox can't be too far behind. And the 34lb built weight doesn't seem too off the mark for a stock bike like this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Commencal are under a lot of people's radar, which is a shame as they build good bikes.

They used to sell in shops but weren't happy with the way that worked out. The big brands got the best representation on the shop floor and Commencal typically found themselves in smaller, backwater shops. It kinda gave the impression that Commencal bikes were not as good as the big brands.

So they switched to selling direct, passing the saving onto the customer. The down-side is that now they have no presence in the shops at all. A lot of people find it hard to buy a bike they haven't seen in the flesh although I think that's changing.

Basically, I think the brands who sell bikes conventionally and play the established game get the best publicity. Commencal feel like outsiders in some ways but to be honest I quite like that. I like not having a Giant, or a Specialized or a Trek. Going to a trail centre and having the only bike like mine in the car park. Who wants to be a sheep?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This bike has me seriously re-evaluating. I was set on a Slayer until this came up and honestly I prefer alloy for such a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am riding the new Supreme DH V4.2 and I love the high pivot design, best chain growth eliminator and braking force eraser I've ever used. I'm glad to see this trickle down to the enduro/ free ride/ am world. The SX is a great idea, love to get one.

mtbr member
    If I were going to buy a new bike tomorrow, this would be it. I was stoked about the new Nomad too, but not so much on the price. Being able to hit a DH park and trails on a trip without bringing 2 bikes would be so nice.

The complete bike is solid; the spec is great -they actually have mtb priorities straight (suspension and brakes are 1000x more important than drivetrain or... a fancy handlebar or whatever).
    Brands like Giant are notorious for getting this so wrong their complete bikes end up being a waste of money because you either have to get the most expensive model or replace half the parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    The complete bike is solid; the spec is great -they actually have mtb priorities straight (suspension and brakes are 1000x more important than drivetrain or... a fancy handlebar or whatever).
    Brands like Giant are notorious for getting this so wrong their complete bikes end up being a waste of money because you either have to get the most expensive model or replace half the parts.
    Completely agreed. I'm guessing it's because the drivetrain names are easy to spot or something and that's always been such a focus for consumers. Drivetrain is a maintenance item anyways, will be replaced within the year or two on most bikes.

I am considering this bike for next year. Will be this or a full DH bike. The 65 HTA has me a bit concerned for bike park use, but otherwise I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Completely agreed. I'm guessing it's because the drivetrain names are easy to spot or something and that's always been such a focus for consumers. Drivetrain is a maintenance item anyways, will be replaced within the year or two on most bikes.

I am considering this bike for next year. Will be this or a full DH bike. The 65 HTA has me a bit concerned for bike park use, but otherwise I love it.
    My theory is, with companies like Giant or Trek, it's coming from a road bike mindset, where no one component is much more important than the next, so you want everything more or less at the same level.
    On a mtb, a top of the line fork with a deore or whatever low-end drivetrain makes a lot more sense than having both middle of the road. I suspect there's some push-back from Sram on specing bikes this way.

I wonder if there's enough room on the shock to run offset bushings.

I agree about the head angle. On my 'nice to have' list is some sort of geometry adjustment; 65 would be great for trail riding, but a little steep for parks. I'm also not thrilled about the headset; I didn't even realize anyone was still doing IS41 headsets anymore and I can't think of anything positive about that standard compared to others. It does completely rule out anglesets, (I think) which isn't great.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    I asked Commencal about using an "Angleset" as well as Fox fittement. This is what I heard back...

"Hello Jay,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sorry for the delayed reply.
    Your e-mail slipped through. I apologize for this.

Yes the Supreme SX can accept an angleset however we donít have those available here.

The Fox shocks are not available in this stroke, but they should be in a couple of months.
    The metric shocks are however a great improvement over last yearís models.
    Rock shocks really stepped up their game with this new shock.

I remain at your disposal for any other questions you might have.

Best,

NICOLA LACHOWSKI

COMMENCAL CANADA"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I read team Commencal comments on the supreme setup for Val Do Sole and they said they increased the idler pulley size by one tooth to reduce pedal kickback. This tuneability is just one more thing increasing my interest in this bike. Also just watched Amaury Pierron take the hot seat with 3 seconds to spare...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looks like they're trying to fill the gap where the "freeride" bikes have slowly vanished from. Pretty cool, looks very capable.
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Finally a review https://m.pinkbike.com/news/commenca...sx-review.html sounds like a good thing, just have to figure out how to mount a bottle to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    ..just have to figure out how to mount a bottle to it.
    Not going to happen. I had to switch to a hydrapack after getting my V3, no place to put a bottle on those either. To be fair, if you're riding that bike like it deserves to be ridden the bottle would fall out anyway ;0)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bottles don't fall out of good cages. Mine is usually empty on the way down anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Article seems to praise the HPP. Nice. Wonder if that will filter down to the Meta during next redesign.....hmmm.

Supreme def looks rad. Need to find a way to ride one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Bottles don't fall out of good cages. Mine is usually empty on the way down anyway.
    I prefer the pack now anyway. It holds two-litres and I do empty it on occasion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone bought one yet?

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Want to!!! Not in my budget at the moment. :-(

Iíd love to see peopleís builds and ride reports if they exist myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Would love to see more ride reports/reviews. I'm trying to decide between a Nomad V4 and one of these, which is certainly way more in my budget range.

I don't plan on keeping a DH rig, so I'm leaning towards the Commencal Supreme SX. I have a Hightower for my trail bike, so I think between those two rigs I should be more than covered! Just wondering if the Comemncal would be too horrible to pedal on roadtrips where I only want to bring 1 bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There are a couple on Vital Bike Check. Man these are good looking:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/R...76/setup,35251

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/A...cat=Bike+Check

mtbr member
    Subscribing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's mine! https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/d...cat=Bike+Check

Super stoked on it. Pedals way better than I expected, descends amazingly. Did the first shuttle ride on it last night in some suuuuper steep terrain. I feel like the shock/rear end outperforms the Lyrik right now, still trying to dial in the feel with volume spacers and the right air pressure!

mtbr member
    I understand this could be a dumb question but why remove the dropper when at the park?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    I understand this could be a dumb question but why remove the dropper when at the park?
    Two reasons:
    1) Fewer parts to break if /when I crash, or miss the pedals on a landing!
    2) I can slam the seat a bit lower without a dropper post, which feels nicer in bike park situations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daway View Post
    Two reasons:
    1) Fewer parts to break if /when I crash, or miss the pedals on a landing!
    2) I can slam the seat a bit lower without a dropper post, which feels nicer in bike park situations.
    Ah. Makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has anyone figured out how to run an angleset or offset bushings? I'd like to slack mine out .5 - 1 degree.

I'm considering some offset bushings, it seems like there would be plenty of clearance to run them. Check out the squish videos here:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/481182/. https://www.pinkbike.com/video/481183/.

I am pretty sure I can get one in the bottom/lower side of the shock, but potentially not one up top due to the design of the metric shock. Check the photo below:

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-p5pb15321411.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

New question here.

@daway, did you manage to put an angleset?
    I am on the fence of buying an SX, but the description on the website and the press releases are quite confusing. The head tube should have enough room to accommodate almost everything (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/commen...sx-review.html).
    Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-screen-shot-2018-07-08-12.43.47.jpg
    At the same time, the info on their page says that the frame comes with an upper cup, and it is not mentioned if it's permanently integrated (part of the headtube) or it is there just for convenience (https://tech.commencal.com/bike/SUPR...-2018/287.html). There is another page which suggests that it is semi-integrated but again then says that it has an IS headset in it.
    Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-screen-shot-2018-07-08-12.45.38.jpg
    So, is this the first and only frame from Commencal series which comes with an integrated headset, or both cups can be removed and replaced with angle/stretch cups? I wrote to Commencal but decided to ask you guys, as you basically shred with this beast every day and should know for sure. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been trying to figure out from Commencal but I can't seem to get a response either, haha. I gave up on it since it feels pretty good at 65, already have 6 days at Whistler Bike Park and a bunch of shuttle days.

I'm also not an expert on headsets/headtubes...but it's definitely a full 1.5" headtube with a removable upper cup (hence the IS41 under the "tech" section). I haven't actually tried to remove it yet, but I believe the fact that it is a full 1.5" head tube but they list the top cop as IS41 is what is confusing folks. To me, it looks just like a regular headset cup up top that can be removed though.

Also..check out this link: https://www.commencalusa.com/ride-al...56-c2x20562654

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I got a very detailed response from them

The head tube of the Supreme SX is indeed straight, and itís 56mm. The frame comes with two cups, and if you put a tapered steerer fork, you only need a ZS 56 cup at the bottom:
    - https://www.commencal-store.com/jeu-...56-c2x19925565

Concerning the reach adjuster headsets, none is compatible with the Supreme SX You can put the Supreme DH V4ís ones if you want to put a straight steerer fork:
    - https://www.commencal-store.com/jeu-...v4-c2x22194578
    For a tapered fork, and a 5mm offset, you can mix two headsets:
    - The top part of: https://www.commencal-store.com/jeu-...v4-c2x22194578
    - Bottom part of: https://www.commencal-store.com/jeu-...mm-c2x19925324

So, if you want an angle set, then you have to find one that matches supreme V4.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Haha nice! That's a lot better than I got. Here's the response I got from Works Components (workscomponents.co.uk), which seems to align with what you heard from Commencal:

"If the headtube is the same as shown in the attached image then it would be a 56/56 size and something we can provide a headset to fit - I think there has been some mis-labelling of the type of headset used online which is causing confusion. It is possible that they use an IS headset within the headset cups and therefore call it an IS headset.

Using a tapered fork we would need to produce an upper headcup to suit (not a full custom item, just the correct offset to be used with a tapered lower) but that would be no problem and we will add it to our stock size as there are a number of manufacturers beginning to use this size now."

They can do 1 degree, can also likely do more. I'm going to ride it a bit more at the stock 65 degree angle for a bit before I decide, as it feels pretty good!

Also...I recently had Craig from Avalanche do the Super Deluxe shock and an open bath damper for the Lyrik up front. Made an awesome bike absolutely unbelievable.

That may contribute to why I don't feel like I need it to be slacker than 65 degrees, since the fork now stays much higher in the travel (while somehow feeling more plush).

The shock is also unbelievable. Feel softer in the parking lot test, but stays much higher in the travel and is much more composed coming off of jumps. Before, it felt like I either had to run the shock super soft to feel good in the rough, but it wouldn't feel composed coming off lips. Felt like I was blowing through travel off of the lip of jumps. And the stock "trail" mode felt like garbage, so I would just tweak air pressure depending on what I was mostly riding.

Craig tunes the Super Delux so you keep the switch, but actually have 3 ride-able modes. I ride the bike in the "trail" middle mode most of the time now for high speed jump trails. I run it wide open for steep gnar (e.g. doubleblack tech at Whistler), and really only use the "climb" mode for fireroads. The bike rides great in all three modes as the compression will still blow off if I take a big enough hit.

The shock mod is a bargain at around $250, I'd highly recommend it over getting a new shock! Just slightly more expensive than a service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Cheers man! The guys at Works Components are always super helpful. I'm a big open bath fan, so I'm for sure gonna follow your path. Also, is the HA indeed a 65, as if you look at the geometry charts, it should be 65 with 562mm a2c fork, and all 180mm 27,5 forks are with 570-580mm of a2c, so it should be in the 64 degrees figures. On this note, I am not entirely sure how accurate their charts are - I asked them about that too I am looking at the L frame, and my geeky nature did a quick calculation on the reach number, and they can't be right, or their top tube is not measured correctly, or the seat tube angle is not right
    Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-reach.jpg
    So the reach for the L with a 170mm fork is only 456mm (while stated as 467), and with a 180mm fork and an offset headset, it will go to 446mm (which is basically size M). Is your frame indeed with 596mm of effective top tube?
    Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-screen-shot-2018-07-13-21.22.48.jpg
    Btw, Commencal announced their 2019 range and it seems like they discontinued the Supreme SX range - I guess I'd be one of the last who joins this vanishing species

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh man, yeah that's complex! I haven't gone that far into analysis, haha. I will say...I would wager the reach measurement is accurate. My medium feels just right around the stated 442mm. I also have a large Hightower, which has a reach measurement right around 450mm. Both bikes have a 50mm stem, and they feel very close in terms of reach.

Also, the climbing position on the Supreme SX is WAY more comfortable than my Hightower, which is supposed to have ~74 degree seat angle. I run both bikes with the seat slammed forward in the rails, but again...Supreme feels more comfortable than the Hightower, I feel like I am way less over the back wheel and am sitting much more upright. Super comfortable to sit and spin, despite how heavy of a rig it is with the build I have (doubledown tires, etc.). Perhaps the effective top tube measurement is incorrect then?

Too bad about them discontinuing these bikes in 2019! Grab one before they are gone. Although...those new Clash bikes (mini furious) also look pretty sweet.

Here are a few more pics of mine for some more stoke:

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-p5pb16120512.jpg

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-p5pb16120569.jpg

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-p5pb15853300.jpg

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-p5pb15853302.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Meta SX has been discontinued, thatís the Supreme SX

mtbr member
    One of the best darn comments I've heard in a while!

I'm looking to get myself an enduro. I've got myself a trek HT for my XC rides, Moto Hal5 for Trails. And came across this brand and love their Meta AM rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Commencal are under a lot of people's radar, which is a shame as they build good bikes.

They used to sell in shops but weren't happy with the way that worked out. The big brands got the best representation on the shop floor and Commencal typically found themselves in smaller, backwater shops. It kinda gave the impression that Commencal bikes were not as good as the big brands.

So they switched to selling direct, passing the saving onto the customer. The down-side is that now they have no presence in the shops at all. A lot of people find it hard to buy a bike they haven't seen in the flesh although I think that's changing.

Basically, I think the brands who sell bikes conventionally and play the established game get the best publicity. Commencal feel like outsiders in some ways but to be honest I quite like that. I like not having a Giant, or a Specialized or a Trek. Going to a trail centre and having the only bike like mine in the car park. Who wants to be a sheep?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Oh man, yeah that's complex! I haven't gone that far into analysis, haha. I will say...I would wager the reach measurement is accurate. My medium feels just right around the stated 442mm. I also have a large Hightower, which has a reach measurement right around 450mm. Both bikes have a 50mm stem, and they feel very close in terms of reach.

Also, the climbing position on the Supreme SX is WAY more comfortable than my Hightower, which is supposed to have ~74 degree seat angle. I run both bikes with the seat slammed forward in the rails, but again...Supreme feels more comfortable than the Hightower, I feel like I am way less over the back wheel and am sitting much more upright. Super comfortable to sit and spin, despite how heavy of a rig it is with the build I have (doubledown tires, etc.). Perhaps the effective top tube measurement is incorrect then?

Too bad about them discontinuing these bikes in 2019! Grab one before they are gone. Although...those new Clash bikes (mini furious) also look pretty sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16120512.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	1208391

Name:	p5pb16120569.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	1208394

Name:	p5pb15853300.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	1208392

Name:	p5pb15853302.jpg 
Views:	1747 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	1208395
    Long time no see - I went on vacation without a laptop and I couldn't enter the forum on my phone as it was detected as a bot
    I'm more than stoked, and your build is fabulous. Commencal did check the reach for me, and reassured me that it was correct (which is enough for me) - they mentioned that they have some offsets here and there, which are not specified hence the impossible calculations.
    I can't wait for the bike, and I'm still wondering if the L frame (50mm longer seat tube than the M) is going to accommodate the 170mm OneUp Dropper completely flushed to the seat tube, but I guess I'll see

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-20181203_174933.jpg

In the works...

Just waiting on a few more pieces.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone used the SX for enduro racing? I have the supreme DH 29 and love it, so I was about to order the SX but was dissuaded by the commencal store guys, who said it doesn't pedal well enough. If anyone has real world experiences on the SX in enduro, would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by csm024 View Post
    Has anyone used the SX for enduro racing? I have the supreme DH 29 and love it, so I was about to order the SX but was dissuaded by the commencal store guys, who said it doesn't pedal well enough. If anyone has real world experiences on the SX in enduro, would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
    I have one, and like it quite a bit.

For something like an enduro type, race, I'd most def go for something more similar to the Meta AM. The SX is a monster downhill, but you will not be happy on your up/transition/climb bits. It'll get it done, but not great.

I've a 2016 Meta AM as well, and would totally opt for it over the SX for any kind of race other than a pure DH kind of thing. The AM doesn't lose out too terribly (depending on setup) on the downs compared to the SX, but on anything flat or uphill, it just kills it.

Built up my SX to get rid of my full DH rig that was just too big/cumbersome/more than I want/need at the lift spots I frequent. Wanted something that even if it isn't great for doing so, at least I *could* pedal it on my local trails, unlike the DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I have one, and like it quite a bit.

For something like an enduro type, race, I'd most def go for something more similar to the Meta AM. The SX is a monster downhill, but you will not be happy on your up/transition/climb bits. It'll get it done, but not great.

I've a 2016 Meta AM as well, and would totally opt for it over the SX for any kind of race other than a pure DH kind of thing. The AM doesn't lose out too terribly (depending on setup) on the downs compared to the SX, but on anything flat or uphill, it just kills it.

Built up my SX to get rid of my full DH rig that was just too big/cumbersome/more than I want/need at the lift spots I frequent. Wanted something that even if it isn't great for doing so, at least I *could* pedal it on my local trails, unlike the DH bike.

Very helpful response. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The SX is on a short list of bikes that i'd jump ship for. The larges are few and far between but used prices are pretty good when you find them. (hopefully) Commencal will see an increased interest in high pivot bikes after dominating WCDH on one and try building an enduro model again.

Definitely looking to get pointed downward on a high pivot bike
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    (hopefully) Commencal will see an increased interest in high pivot bikes after dominating WCDH on one...
    How is a bike defined as 'high-pivot'? Does it just mean te pivot being above the bottom-bracket or does it have to be a good way up the seat-tube? Are the V3 and V4 high-pivot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not a SX but the same spirit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190126_181414_129.jpg  

mtbr member
    How is a bike defined as 'high-pivot'? Does it just mean te pivot being above the bottom-bracket or does it have to be a good way up the seat-tube? Are the V3 and V4 high-pivot?
    Only the V4 is high pivot and yes the rear pivot is located significantly higher up the seat tube than conventional bikes. The high pivot design gives a rearward axle path and gets the suspension up and moving when it hits a bump. The downside is lack of antisquat and some braking issues.

This animation is a good illustration as to whats going on back there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTAFexkWMF0
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    The high pivot design gives a rearward axle path and gets the suspension up and moving when it hits a bump. The downside is lack of antisquat and some braking issues.
    Thank you. So great for down-hill, not as good for cross-country as it doesn't pedal as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am seriously considering getting a used Supreme SX and swapping out the fork for a 170mm 29" front with a short offset (44mm). The front will rise by about 11mm but I will offset this with a -1 deg angleset.

Is this a bad idea or is it worth testing out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I am seriously considering getting a used Supreme SX and swapping out the fork for a 170mm 29" front with a short offset (44mm). The front will rise by about 11mm but I will offset this with a -1 deg angleset.

Is this a bad idea or is it worth testing out?
    Trying to wrap my head around this. What is your objective?
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Thank you. So great for down-hill, not as good for cross-country as it doesn't pedal as well?
    Very good for DH but has its challenges when it comes to pedalling efficiency. Most bikes in that range of travel aren't gonna set any KOMs when it comes to climbs anyway. Keep an eye on this HP 29er trailbike coming soon from forbidden.

https://www.facebook.com/forbiddenbikecompany/
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Trying to wrap my head around this. What is your objective?
    Better rollover capability.

mtbr member
    Couldn't stand it anymore. Bought the last black, size L frame/shock in the inventory. This will get interesting.
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Couldn't stand it anymore. Bought the last black, size L frame/shock in the inventory. This will get interesting.
    Congrats. Subscribed.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria66 View Post
    Not a SX but the same spirit...
    sick man, give us more details please

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Actually it pedals surprisingly well... it is quite a heavy beast tho... but doing an all mountain ride with your buddies is definitely no issue, or even enjoyable.

I have a Starling Swoop with 29" front as my trailbike, and I built the Commencal Supreme SX this winter and love it so much that the amazing Starling is not even out of hibernation yet

mtbr member
    2019 and the stoke is strong. Looking forward to putting this together

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190507_083820447.jpg

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190507_083834694.jpg
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox416 View Post
    sick man, give us more details please
    CR Conception Fore inverted fork (from Richard Cross, a french suspensionīs wizard), Cane Creek DB air shock, One up dropper post with hose inside seat and diagonal tube, 11-42 ti cassette and 30 t chainring...

V4.2 is better geometry for pedaling that supreme sx, frame wheight is similary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190126_181618_894.jpg  

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-upload_2017-12-7_12-12-46.png  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The bike and the trails...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190317_140109_876.jpg  

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_20190507_083820447.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	1250400

Name:	IMG_20190507_083834694.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	1250399
    OMG that's a sexy frame.... It think I soiled my pants

Post some money shots after she's done
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    OMG that's a sexy frame.... It think I soiled my pants

Post some money shots after she's done
    Thanks! From what i understand it was the last size L frame with shock in all commencal inventory. Been eyeing a used complete, but they are super rare in large so i just bought a new frame instead.

I was >< that close to doing a 975 build with it but sticking with 27.5 F&R. Cool parts on the way and ill post pics once they start coming together.
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks! From what i understand it was the last size L frame with shock in all commencal inventory. Been eyeing a used complete, but they are super rare in large so i just bought a new frame instead.

I was >< that close to doing a 975 build with it but sticking with 27.5 F&R. Cool parts on the way and ill post pics once they start coming together.
    Any update?
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Any update?
    collecting parts at the moment. Finding a 37mm steerer was a total PITA and i ended up buying a complete fork just for that. Have some sexy DT swiss hoops/hope pro 4 hubs and , other goodness on the way.

Once i get the fork built, I can mock up a headset and order a works for it. Shooting for 63.5-63* HTA
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    collecting parts at the moment. Finding a 37mm steerer was a total PITA and i ended up buying a complete fork just for that. Have some sexy DT swiss hoops/hope pro 4 hubs and , other goodness on the way.

Once i get the fork built, I can mock up a headset and order a works for it. Shooting for 63.5-63* HTA
    Nice. Good luck and have fun.

Keep us posted.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    CR Conception Fore inverted fork (from Richard Cross, a french suspensionīs wizard), Cane Creek DB air shock, One up dropper post with hose inside seat and diagonal tube, 11-42 ti cassette and 30 t chainring...

V4.2 is better geometry for pedaling that supreme sx, frame wheight is similary.
    Thank you very much, very interesting project. So basically you have 29 in front to preserve original geometry with respect to 27.5 double crown fork.
    What size it is the bike? And how it feels pedalling a 200+ travel bike?

Last question I promise, for the dropper you manage to use some already existing hole right? You succed in respct the minimum insertion of the dropper.

Thanks again one of the sickest bike ever seen really

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

So I had a closer look at this thread.

Holy shit. daway's SX is one of the sickest bikes I have seen. Ever. Period.

Sick AF.

ATXZJ - I can't wait now to see how yours turns out. That frame is pure sex.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member

Sick AF.

Thanks man!

ill try not to disappoint on the build

I was >< that f*ckin close to doing a 975 with it. I still might someday
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

Thanks man!

ill try not to disappoint on the build

I was >< that f*ckin close to doing a 975 with it. I still might someday
    PB is all over that shit. Martin Maes and pretty much everyone else is rocking it hard, with obvious success.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    PB is all over that shit. Martin Maes and pretty much everyone else is rocking it hard, with obvious success.
    Id like to try it with a 160mm travel 29 in the front to keep the stack close the the 180mm / 27.5. Gonna try a minion DHF 27.5 x 2.6 on the front with a 35mm internal hoop for a bit.

* Edit: Just weighed the frame and it comes in at 10.5lbs without maxle. Gonna be a wee bit portly when done.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 AM.
    greener pastures

My SX (frame only) is up for sale, lightly used if anyone is looking.

Orange, size medium. $900

mtbr member
    In the mock up stages right now. HTA with the stock headset and 180mm yari was 63.5*.

Commencal Supreme SX - why no stoke?!-img_20190521_083737676.jpg
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    In the mock up stages right now. HTA with the stock headset and 180mm yari was 63.5*.

Name:	IMG_20190521_083737676.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	1252356
    Looks mean AF. Epic so far. Love the stealth black vibe.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Looks mean AF. Epic so far. Love the stealth black vibe.
    Thanks. Going full stealth on this one, including the commencal stickers. Basically the opposite of my kona.

Still need to order drivetrain, brakes and a front tire.
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks. Going full stealth on this one, including the commencal stickers. Basically the opposite of my kona.

Still need to order drivetrain, brakes and a front tire.
    Full stealth
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sick AF.

Thanks @mtnbkrmike. I love it.

Question for everyone. What's the largest rear cassette you are all running? I was trying to run a oneup 47t cassette, but the b tension you have to run means in the higher gear (smaller cogs) there is very little chainwrap which has been eating my cassettes.

May just end up going back to 11-42 or 11-46 stock shimano cassette and suffer through the climbs, but curious what other folks have found success with!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Id like to try it with a 160mm travel 29 in the front to keep the stack close the the 180mm / 27.5. Gonna try a minion DHF 27.5 x 2.6 on the front with a 35mm internal hoop for a bit.

* Edit: Just weighed the frame and it comes in at 10.5lbs without maxle. Gonna be a wee bit portly when done.
    Let me know how this rides! I have a transition sentinel as my trail bike with a 160mm lyrik. Am VERY TEMPTED to steal the fork/wheel to run it on my SX for a day. Would be very interested to try on the Supreme with the reduced offset lyrik.

mtbr member
    Thanks @mtnbkrmike. I love it.

Question for everyone. What's the largest rear cassette you are all running? I was trying to run a oneup 47t cassette, but the b tension you have to run means in the higher gear (smaller cogs) there is very little chainwrap which has been eating my cassettes.

May just end up going back to 11-42 or 11-46 stock shimano cassette and suffer through the climbs, but curious what other folks have found success with!
    I have an 11-46 sunrace and will use a 32t oval up front and a MED cage M8000 derailleur. I recommend the sunrace over the shimano cassette as there is less of a jump to the 46t. Failing that, sunrace makes a 11-50 now, and if you're running sram, you can use a longer cage derailleur without jacking with the b screw much.

((EDIT))

Missed your pics somehow. Looks like you have sram GX on yours. You can run a X01 12spd derailleur with an 11spd cassette and shifter to solve your b screw issue. Dont get the GX eagle derailleur as the cage bends when you look at it wrong.

Let me know how this rides! I have a transition sentinel as my trail bike with a 160mm lyrik. Am VERY TEMPTED to steal the fork/wheel to run it on my SX for a day. Would be very interested to try on the Supreme with the reduced offset lyrik.
    I'd try it. My trailbike has a pike 29 with a 40mm CSU that i can extend to 160 and give it a try sometime. I really, really like the concept.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 1 Day Ago at 04:24 PM.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox416 View Post
    Thank you very much, very interesting project. So basically you have 29 in front to preserve original geometry with respect to 27.5 double crown fork.
    What size it is the bike? And how it feels pedalling a 200+ travel bike?

Last question I promise, for the dropper you manage to use some already existing hole right? You succed in respct the minimum insertion of the dropper.

Thanks again one of the sickest bike ever seen really
    Right, 29er fork is for geometry reason's. I've got a 29er Pike too but was very poor vs the rear suspension.

Not my best pedal friendly bike but is ok to go uphill by forest tracks and downhill by singletracks.

The internal dropper hose goes through the union of the seat tube and diagonal tube and leaves through the diagonal tube next to the hose of the rear brake, I like moto style for brakes.

mtbr member
    Right, 29er fork is for geometry reason's. I've got a 29er Pike too but was very poor vs the rear suspension.

Not my best pedal friendly bike but is ok to go uphill by forest tracks and downhill by singletracks.

The internal dropper hose goes through the union of the seat tube and diagonal tube and leaves through the diagonal tube next to the hose of the rear brake, I like moto style for brakes.

so was this a DH frame originally? What wheelsize was/is it currently?
    greener pastures