Anyone riding his Meta AM HT with shorter offset fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone riding his Meta AM HT with shorter offset fork?

I'm building a medium Meta AM HT for my daughter and have some 42-44mm offset used fork available in my area. I was wondering if someone have experience running shorter offset on this particular bike. My thought was that it would pair ok with slack HA of the Meta but Commencal are using 51mm for complete build for a reason I guess...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hi Lewis, sorry can't answer your fork question but I was looking at picking up this frame as well. Did your frame come with the headset bearings?

mtbr member
    No unfortunately... But you can build your bike "a la carte" and choose whatever parts you need for your build. Only problem: shipping was 60$can for frame only and it was like 120 with the headset. I needed some other part so ordered a canecreek headset from Jenson. This bike will be sweet and I'm a little bit jealous. My son will also ride a small RSD Middlechild this summer and I'm really digging those aggressive hardtail...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the info. Are you in Canada? I am, I think they ship for free within Canada so that ought to save me shipping fees.

I'm between this and the Nukeproof Scout. Seeing as there's no more ETA on my FS frame, I might end up upgrading my HT this year instead. First world problems... lol

mtbr member
    Yes I'm in Canada. Frame ships from BC so maybe if you are local you can pick one up but for me it was 60$. Delivery was pretty fast. I found a fork (finally went with a 51mm offset) so I should be able to complete the build soon...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Damn, I could have sworn I saw free shipping last time I checked. It's $109 to ship to Ontario. Ouch. But then again, it's FedEx express so a day or two for delivery and it won't be a small box.

Which fork/travel did you end up going with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Damn, I could have sworn I saw free shipping last time I checked. It's $109 to ship to Ontario. Ouch. But then again, it's FedEx express so a day or two for delivery and it won't be a small box.

Which fork/travel did you end up going with?
    Have you selected some parts or just the frame? Frame alone was cheaper but as soon as I was choosing something else it was 2time more!

I tried to get a 150mm Pike on pinkbike which was a 51mm offset as recommended by Commencal. But the seller was really slow to answer and after 2 weeks of email chatting I had enough... For a new fork, the best deal is Marzocchi Bomber Z2 IMO. You get a 130mm and a 150mm airshaft (fox rythme 150). I was trying to get that from S4suspension (a store specialized in fork/shox/maintenance) and they had a used Lyric 160mm (51mm offset). They gonna change the travel to 150mm and ship it for 410$. Not bad! I chose based on axle-to-crown recommendation by Commencal. I guess you can deviate a bit, but ATC of 552mm to 562 is really narrow so you don't have lot's of option... (mainly Fox Rhythm 34 or 36 150 OEM takeoff if you can find one, Pike 150mm, Fox float 36 150, Lyric, Z2 Bomber...)

As for offset, after reading from others experience on similar bike (at least 65 degree HA) on NSMB.com and in the MIddleChild thread, I would have been tempted to try a shorter offset on this bike to calm down the steering at slower speed... On Vitalmb I found a custom built Meta AM HT with a DVO with 42mm offset and the owner was very please with the handling of the bike...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo